Devnote Tuesday: 1.0.5 is approaching

SQUAD

...a picture of Robert H. Goddard's (rocketry pioneer) workshop. It's not a barn, but a workshop like that could just as easily have been set up in a barn.

Yes. Very well and good. Hell, post the 1940s images of the V2s we launched in New Mexico. Those have very barn-like structures, as well. I've never seen anyone say anything different. However, Goddard also didn't launch people (or anything else) into space.

Again, the barn makes sense iff we are launching small sounding rockets or airplanes built by bicycle mechanics. But we don't. We start with a Mercury capsule.

Mercury spacecraft construction:

703px-Technicians_working_in_the_McDonnell_White_Room_on_the_Mercury-crop.jpg

Note the lack of barns in this image.

WMBGypo.jpg

Industrial factory.

3hFuNKi.jpg

Clean room suits? Yes.

Barn? No.

Clean room suits? Yes.

Barn? No.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BUT THE BARN ITS SO KERBAL!!! :)

Come now, we all know that KSP has literally no connection with reality on any scale and is all about ¡FUN!. Don't ruin it for the people who want to have ¡FUN!, please.

Again, the barn makes sense iff we are launching small sounding rockets or airplanes built by bicycle mechanics. But we don't. We start with a Mercury capsule.
We start with a capsule that bears a superficial resemblance to the Mercury capsule. There's no reason to believe it's engineered to anything like the same standards, and indeed the part description suggests otherwise.

The Mercury capsule wasn't built in a fancy cleanroom because it really needed to be, it was built in a fancy cleanroom because NASA really didn't want to kill someone. Kerbals don't necessarily have the same concerns, as evidenced by the space program being happy to put a Kerbal atop their very first rocket and blast it skywards.

There's no reason to believe it's engineered to anything like the same standards, and indeed the part description suggests otherwise.

The 100% reliability with never a chance of a single failure on any part indicates otherwise. If it's shoddily built crap made out of trash...

Forget it...

"Ha ha ha. Kerbalz iz teh dumb and krazy." is great.

The mercury capsule wasn't constructed inside the VAB anyway. It's the Vehicle Assembly Building, not the capsule assembly building. Kennedy Space Center's VAB is not a clean room.

#BRINGBACKTHEBARN

Edited by Alshain

Forget it...

"Ha ha ha. Kerbalz iz teh dumb and krazy." is great.

Yeahman. "40K Orks" won out. I'll mourn with you.

E: Seriously, they should just rip out bac9's KSC because it's so out of place now. Too "Half-Life 2".

Edited by regex

Come now, we all know that KSP has literally no connection with reality on any scale and is all about ¡FUN!. Don't ruin it for the people who want to have ¡FUN!, please.

That's exactly what some people want to do.

Just my USD $0.02:

I don't play career, so as long as they don't change the tier 3 building, I'm happy. Also, I thought the way the barn looked in the preview screenshots wasn't very good. It's possible that it could look good, but I didn't like how those screens looked.

Worse than the current Tier 1 and 2? The local pipe factory in my city has a better exterior design than those things.

YES. IT. IS. BET. TER. TO. ALL. BE. RO. BOTS. AND. HAVE. NO. FUN. AT. ALL.

I can tease what you find fun as well. Did that change your mind? Yours didn't change mine either.

YES. IT. IS. BET. TER. TO. ALL. BE. RO. BOTS. AND. HAVE. NO. FUN. AT. ALL.

I can tease what you find fun as well. Did that change your mind? Yours didn't change mine either.

That's harsh, man, I'm in mourning. Have some respect.

- - - Updated - - -

It'd be nice for a devnote thread to stay on topic for a change, rather than devolve into griping, maybe I ask too much.
Some always has to bring up the barn...

It would be nice if one of the few games that's based on spaceflight would have the decency to treat its inspiration as something more than a joke.

sa7sGq4.png

LOL! Sooooo Kerbal!

Does that clear up the attitude I've grown tired of?

The 100% reliability with never a chance of a single failure on any part indicates otherwise. If it's shoddily built crap made out of trash...
Shoddily built, no. Rugged, heavy-duty, and unsophisticated is how I think of KSP parts, with a dose of bodging things together but doing that bodging pretty well. And the Kerbal Space Program can be like that because they have the luxury of 3 km/s to orbit.

Squad, PLEASE keep the original Mk1 Cockpit and make the redo a new part. Please. Please. Please! :)

YargJay9991

oi. let's not have that argument again. If you really want it, it will probably be very easy to hack the old cockpit into the CFG file. As for me, I say out with the old, in with the new.

Squad, PLEASE keep the original Mk1 Cockpit and make the redo a new part. Please. Please. Please! :)

YargJay9991

If you really want it, it will probably be very easy to hack the old cockpit into the CFG file. As for me, I say out with the old, in with the new.

As always, there's a mod for that. Look at the Kerbal Historical Institute mod linked in my signature. We're also on CKAN.

All of my hype. I wasn't originally super excited for 1.0.5, thinking the real improvements were coming in 1.1, but these plans for 1.0.5 have greatly exceeded my expectations! I'm feeling pretty good about SQUAD's decision to break this up into two patches, there's a ton of cool stuff coming and it'll be good to put it through its paces before the big Unity 5 upgrade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.