Devnote Tuesday: 1.0.5 is approaching

SQUAD

That would be incredibly confusing to me to have the heading icon not be the actual heading.

It would be though once the kerbal autorotates. Which is as soon as any input is detected. There's also space bar to rotate kerbal to camera. The marker wouldn't be heading only as you move the camera with no control input.

It would be though once the kerbal autorotates. Which is as soon as any input is detected. There's also space bar to rotate kerbal to camera. The marker wouldn't be heading only as you move the camera with no control input.

I don't know, maybe it could work if they added a second floating heading icon. So if the Kerbal was going the same direction as the Camera they would be on top of each other. Otherwise, I just don't see it working.

That would be incredibly confusing to me to have the heading icon not be the actual heading.

The prograde icon still represents prograde of the craft. The rotation of the navball represents where you are looking. So say you target a vessel, and you look at it - you will be looking at target icon on the navball, even though prograde might be somewhere else. Since the kerbal rotates towards the facing of the camera, doing precision EVA "burns" becomes quite a bit easier, for example when approaching a vessel.

The prograde icon still represents prograde of the craft. The rotation of the navball represents where you are looking. So say you target a vessel, and you look at it - you will be looking at target icon on the navball, even though prograde might be somewhere else. Since the kerbal rotates towards the facing of the camera, doing EVA "burns" becomes quite a bit easier, for example when approaching a vessel.
Edited by Alshain

I know I am probably the only peep completely excited by the KSPedia update but who cares. Woot best dev notes in a long time! Congrats again NathanKell on working for Squad. I was long suprised that you were not Squad's first choice to hire from the modding community. Thank You from all of us, we all owe you so much.

The prograde icon still represents prograde of the craft. The rotation of the navball represents where you are looking. So say you target a vessel, and you look at it - you will be looking at target icon on the navball, even though prograde might be somewhere else. Since the kerbal rotates towards the facing of the camera, doing precision EVA "burns" becomes quite a bit easier, for example when approaching a vessel.

Brilliant...

now all we need is to be able to IVA in to a Kerbal on EVA and have this info as HUD on their Visor glass.

Technically speaking, it's not the reverse, it's the same thing. NathanKell would have to clarify if the new system goes that far, but buoyancy is buoyancy, regardless if you are trying to be more buoyant than water or more buoyant than air. I would love to hear the system is consistent enough to create Helium and fly through the air realistically.

I want this too :)

Amazing devnotes, and 1.0.5 is getting better every week!

I'd be hard pressed to select a favorite feature among all the great things, but a top contender is, ironically, the 1.25m crew cabin... and I'm not even a plane person :D I just want them because pre-2.5m tourist contracts are just such a counterintuitive hassle without mod parts right now, and that cabin handily solves everything. So very sorely needed!

If I may submit a tiny little request to Porkjet - please place the cabin in a tech node that is conducive to using it for early rocketry too, not only planes. Like, somewhere in tier 4. If it was to come in tier 5, then it's no improvement because you can just get the Hitchhiker instead. Possible nodes IMHO would be Aviation (together with other early plane parts), or Flight Control (together with the Mk1 Inline Cockpit, which serves the purpose of seating early tourists right now), or even General Construction (together with the structural fuselage).

Thanks to Bob (Roverdude) the Mk3 cargo ramp deployment height will also be freely adjustable, a feature that we’re also considering to add to such things as cargo- and service bays. We saw a request pop up that this be applied to control surfaces as well, but for now that’s outside the scope we’re aiming for.

Well, it's nice to see that you consider to add this slider to even control surfaces (even if not in 1.05)

Having control surfaces able to deploy up to 90° would allow to fine tune plane manoeuverability and make more realistic aerobrakes :), it'll also allow tons of outside the box thinking from them (could use those to build makeshift cargo bays / landing gear wells of all kind :P)

Can somebody tell me why the fuel cells use LF and OX?

It doesn't make sense considering real fuel cells use hydrogen, which some rockets use as liquid fuel, so logically fuel cells in KSP would only use LF.

solid oxid fuel cells (SOFC)

they can burn through virtually every hydrocarbon, as long as it is liquid or gaseous and contains virtually no sulfur (because sulfur poisons them).

usually, they are used to burn natural gas, but they can also run on gasoline or diesel. and of course they need oxygen/air. they have a pretty decent efficiency and a very clean exhaust.

Here's hoping fxOffset actually works now. (No snark intended.)

It's a tiny visual bug, but ever since I started writing configs it has bothered me tremendously.

That's odd. I've used fxOffset a few times on parts I've made and it works fine.

Yes, where is me barn? Barncoats unite!

Is that referencing the browncoats in Firefly?

can not wait for the Upgrage. (yes i know its misspelled. inside joke)

That was a typo in Modding Monday wasn't it?

So water that actually acts vaguely like water, about time too.

The water in 1.0.x seems slightly better than it was a few versions ago, and much better than it was in the very early versions. I've played 0.7.3 and the water is literally flat land with a fancy water texture just below the surface. But yeah, it definitely needs work, even if it's just to get a safe splashdown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.