Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And wow it is SO much fun to fly craft in the Intrepid's hangar and out into space. Sure, it was pretty cool flying those Gumdrops aboard back in 1.0.5, but that was like watching a slideshow. Now we're really flying!

Have had the same experience with an interplanetary transfer vehicle (although much less sophisticated than the Intreprid) - built in 1.0.5 to the maximum capacity of my computer - docking between 8 orange fuel tanks was great but it looked like a slide show. I actually had decided "to not reuse" it since playing just was too ridiculous. Now since the 1.1 update docking is just astonishing and I am all in for another trip with that mammoth...

Oh yeah - and I guess we finally encountered the Jovian SOI - after like 9 months. Says a lot about a story if I read it that long :)

Edited by something

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Maybe they saw some historical documents featuring a galaxy quest... :)

*claps vertically*

There's only one time so far that I think might work good as a video: a Calvin-and-Hobbes-style silent episode with the landers flying around on Pol.

@Kuzzter, I know you hate suggestions, so no need to get up in arms over that. It's more a testament to your story-telling prowess than a suggestion.

9 minutes ago, ZentroCatson said:

Because, in KSP, if a craft crashes, all die, not just the red shirt. 

And that's why I love External Command Seats so much. They're vastly more survivable than just about any capsule, except perhaps for the Mk. III cockpit. That thing is kinda hard to blow up.

7 hours ago, Starhawk said:

That episode was very fun!  I like what you did with the trope.

I'm very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed flying the gumdrops out of the hangar.  Something that cool should give you that 'epic cinematic' feel.  :)

Happy landings!  (no matter what @Deddly says.)

Seconded @Starhawk on all counts, actually (due to the fact that I didn't see the entire page immediately) I first thought Tedus was asking Nimzo if he was nervous on account of his previous experience with nervy co-pilots/passengers (Bob & early Samantha). Oh, that and how his last documented landing went (probably the most famous of the entire series).

Aku

14 hours ago, Deddly said:

Doesn't Tedus have a 100% track record of jetissoning his crew?

Actually...

no?

http://i.imgur.com/czLys1N.png

And while I was looking through the early pages, I noticed plans for a "Tylo x6." Is that in the Intrepid? I haven't seen it, or even any mention of it yet.

Edited by Dman979

On 7/11/2016 at 9:55 AM, Kuzzter said:

And wow it is SO much fun to fly craft in the Intrepid's hangar and out into space. Sure, it was pretty cool flying those Gumdrops aboard back in 1.0.5, but that was like watching a slideshow. Now we're really flying!

Glad to hear it.  And also that the docking ports worked properly :)

On 7/11/2016 at 2:26 PM, Dman979 said:

There's only one time so far that I think might work good as a video: a Calvin-and-Hobbes-style silent episode with the landers flying around on Pol.

Actually, if I had video software I actually knew how to use, I've always wanted to do a sort of "opening credits" sequence of Intrepid launching, flying past the camera, ships slowly entering/leaving the bays as the music swells (I'd probably use the theme from ST: Voyager--which is after all an Intrepid-class starship).. Maybe one of these days :) 

On 7/11/2016 at 6:25 PM, AkuAerospace said:

I first thought Tedus was asking Nimzo if he was nervous on account of his previous experience with nervy co-pilots/passengers (Bob & early Samantha). Oh, that and how his last documented landing went (probably the most famous of the entire series).

22 hours ago, Deddly said:

Doesn't Tedus have a 100% track record of jetissoning his crew?

Certainly fair statements. I'm going from memory here*, but I believe Tedus's documented landings include:

• In a Gliido with Bob on Kerbin. Result: Desert crash, 'walked away'
  • In the Dipperkraft with Bob on Eve. Result: Famously jettisoned science officer, crashed, walked away like a badS.
  • In a Gliido, shuttling Val and others back to Kerbin after the Eve mission. Result: Lampshade hung, perfect runway landing.
  • In a prototype Laythe floatplane "X3", performing a buoyancy test with Clauselle. Result: perfect water landing, buoyancy test failure

In addition we saw Tedus launch some sort of insane "super pogo" ship at the end of Order Zero, but never saw the landing. It crashed, everyone swum away.

*ok I ended up looking them up

8 hours ago, Dman979 said:

And while I was looking through the early pages, I noticed plans for a "Tylo x6." Is that in the Intrepid? I haven't seen it, or even any mention of it yet.

Nope, there is no Tylo x6 in the Intrepid. If you review those early pages again you should find that Bill finally abandoned the tailsitter concept, taking Clauselle's advice to "go big or you will not get home". And so he developed the Longboat, which became the Quadhammer, which evolved to the Qwammer presently docked in Q-bay :) 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

• In a Gliido, shuttling Val and others back to Kerbin after the Eve mission. Result: Lampshade hung, perfect runway landing.
  • In a prototype Laythe floatplane "X3", performing a buoyancy test with Clauselle. Result: perfect water landing

...and that just goes to show that we all have selective memories. When something out of the ordinary occurs, we can easily recall it later. But we quickly forget the more mundane things that pass without anything especially noteworthy happening.

You guys are the best readers ever, seriously. I'm always amazed at how much people remember of pages long, looooong ago :) And speaking of 'long, long ago', by my count we are over 380 pages into this Odyssey, so maybe it's about time to actually land on something in the Jool system? 

dlNqWuw.png

Wnln19G.png

ak9QikL.png

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

a bunch of us were about to turn blue, we're breathing again, thanks a lot.

Anybody still remembers ZOxygene? The first life support plugin? It really could turn Kerbals blue if you didn't have power for air regeneration.

On 7/13/2016 at 10:03 PM, Kuzzter said:

You guys are the best readers ever, seriously. I'm always amazed at how much people remember of pages long, looooong ago :) And speaking of 'long, long ago', by my count we are over 380 pages into this Odyssey, so maybe it's about time to actually land on something in the Jool system? 

Well, you must be a good writer to keep our interest this long.  And also, a rather dedicated player.  If this was my game, I'd have unlimbered Whack-a-Kerbal long before the 1.1 fps improvement :)

On 16.7.2016 at 8:17 PM, Just Jim said:

Please don't poke the author.

For some reason, I read this in the "Please don't disturb the Keepers!"-voice of Avina from Mass Effect.