Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

3 hours ago, armegeddon said:

RT is simply a matter of changing RangeMultiplier in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg. It should be changeable with a MM patch, but haven't tried myself.

I've already tried that and it's not possible, I guess RT loads the settings directly from the file instead of reading at the version that gets modified by MM.

The only way is to change the values inside each antenna, which is not ideal because it only affects the new antennas.

Antennas on crafts that you have already launched will not get fixed, this is not really a huge issue since I don't expect anyone to want to play SD on an old save.

I've already asked the guys over at RT to make the settings editable via MM here, but got no answer.

I highly doubt we will get an RT update before  1.1 anyway.

Also, what about supporting SCANSat and resource scanning?

sure, I will add that too. :)

I need to take a look at how altitudes are managed in scansat but I fully expect it to be possible

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

Was there any news of a fix for the 'cannot timewarp while craft is under acceleration' bug? I couldn't see any definitive answer

I had a couple of ideas but I have yet to try them out... maybe this evening I'll get some time

15 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Sweet :) No hurry at all. If you don't have time, don't worry

hehe :)

I have a ton of projects but limited free time...

if you want to make sure I don't forget about these things you should open an issue on github

those will help me keep track of the stuff ;)

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

hehe :)

I have a ton of projects but limited free time...

if you want to make sure I don't forget about these things you should open an issue on github

those will help me keep track of the stuff ;)

I'll see what I can do ;) 

17 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I've already tried that and it's not possible, I guess RT loads the settings directly from the file instead of reading at the version that gets modified by MM.

The only way is to change the values inside each antenna, which is not ideal because it only affects the new antennas.

Antennas on crafts that you have already launched will not get fixed, this is not really a huge issue since I don't expect anyone to want to play SD on an old save.

I've already asked the guys over at RT to make the settings editable via MM here, but got no answer.

I highly doubt we will get an RT update before  1.1 anyway.

sure, I will add that too. :)

I need to take a look at how altitudes are managed in scansat but I fully expect it to be possible

After spending a few hours figuring out variables and indexes in MM, I managed to come up with a config that modifies all antennas and resource scanners, even those added by other mods like DMagic.  This will scale the antenna ranges, both omni and dish, based on whatever Rescale value is entered in Sigma/Dimensions/Settings.cfg

It will also scale all scanners, min_alt, max_alt, and best_alt, based on the same value as above. The only one I couldn't get to change is the M700 Survery Scanner. The Orbital Surveyor module is not in the config, so it's altitudes could not be updated. 

Spoiler

// RemoteTech

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]
    {
        @Mode1OmniRange *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
        @Mode1DishRange *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]
    {
        @OmniRange *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
    }
}

// SCANSat

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[SCANsat]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[SCANsat],*
    {
        @min_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
        @max_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
        @best_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleSCANresourceScanner]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleSCANresourceScanner],*
    {
        @min_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
        @max_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
        @best_alt *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
    }
}

// General Resource Scanners

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceScanner]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleResourceScanner],*
    {
        @MaxAbundanceAltitude *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
    }
}

I used :FINAL tags to make sure any rescaling was done after other mods made adjustments.

Edited by armegeddon
Changes from using Rescale to Reszie since don't care about orbit scale, only planet scale.

After spending a few hours figuring out variables and indexes in MM...

"One of us, one of us!..."

Nice patch, I'll give it a go next time I can get some Ksp time. Pros/cons of resize vs rescale? Something is clicking in my head regarding spherical volume going as the radius cubed goofing something somewhere, but it's late and my geometric instincts can go astray at times. 

(But yeah; with MM indexing and variables in hand, some serious tweaking can begin!)

2 hours ago, komodo said:

"One of us, one of us!..."

Nice patch, I'll give it a go next time I can get some Ksp time. Pros/cons of resize vs rescale? Something is clicking in my head regarding spherical volume going as the radius cubed goofing something somewhere, but it's late and my geometric instincts can go astray at times. 

(But yeah; with MM indexing and variables in hand, some serious tweaking can begin!)

There probably is no difference between using resize vs. rescale technically since if you are resizing the planets you are most likely rescaling their orbits also, unless you want shorter transfer times. For the antennas, rescale would probably be the more correct multiplier to utilize, but my first couple iterations of the patch used a seperate variable to grab the rescale/resize number and I just replaced it with a direct call to the multiplier without thinking about it.  

While the scanner altitudes may at first appear to be too high; ex: using the 6.4 resize that was linked from the OP gives the atmosphere a height of about 103km with the Multi-Spectral Scanner having a best_alt of 1.6Mm compared to the default of 70km atmosphere and best_alt of 250km.  Doing some calculations, it appears that they do scan the same percentage of the surface at both altitudes, so it will still take the same amount of orbits to complete a full scan.

Edit:  The 103km was using rescale on the system produced by the Uncharted Lands mod, which itself rescales Kerbin to 634km radius from the default of 600km.

Edited by armegeddon

@Armageddon this is what I did in SD (dev version)

link

as you can see I used the "rescale" parameter because it will be better for interplanetary comunications if antennas get rescaled that way.

I haven't got the time to check out all the mods that were requested ( scansat included ) but I have now opened a bunch of "issues" on github, if any of you is interested you can subscribe to those issues and github will notify you when I comment on them.

31 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I haven't got the time to check out all the mods that were requested ( scansat included ) but I have now opened a bunch of "issues" on github, if any of you is interested you can subscribe to those issues and github will notify you when I comment on them.

Only issue I've had with Scansat so far is I've had to rescale the max altitudes for each body. I didn't think about doing this with MM. It probably doesn't help I've left terrain set to 1 which leads for some rather...dramatic terrain on some planets.

<whelp that's helpful, I realized the screenshot that would demonstrate this is on my gaming rig at home.>

On 3/8/2016 at 11:34 AM, thunder175 said:

I got done playing with a Dimensions 6.4x rescaled career using the recommended settings in the first post, as well as SMURFF set at 0.5. FAR is also installed. Started at lower tech levels with several addons, but was mostly building with the excellent SSTU pack and included engines.

The delta v requirements described in the original posting seem off, or I'm not doing something right. The recommended 6500-7000m/s requirement was not cutting it to achieve orbit. I went back and pulled up the 64K delta v map which says 7500m/s to LKO. That seemed a little better but it wasn't leaving me much beyond that. Maybe I didn't give the upper stage enough horsepower, as I was blowing past Ap.

MJ and Gravity Turn ascent guidance doesn't seem to like what I'm doing here either. Both were coming in way shallow leading to atmospheric overheats (RealHeat installed) despite changing the turn angle to both high and low settings. Played with first stage TWR settings of ~1.2 to close to ~1.5.

For career play, I still don't see how at lower tiers you can achieve orbit with the increased delta v requirements with SMURFF at 0.5 utilizing 1.25m rockets., without the use of parts packs. Fortunately SSTU easily allows increasing diameters of its parts, and 1.875m is now easy to do and looks smooth.

I know I'm doing something wrong still, or I'm just stuck in stock scale mentality. Would love to see everyone else's tweaks and settings, as well as any recommendations.

I'm not currently playing stock 6.4x, but I know with PaulKingtiger's 64k mod, it never took me more than 6500 dv to get into a ~100km orbit. I did not have FAR installed, but I cannot fathom how that would make the launch harder rather than easier. (Edit: in terms of delta v usage.)

The DV map from 64k I think overestimates DV so that users wouldn't build a rocket to minimum number and then fail to get to orbit or fail to complete a maneuver after wasting a little DV. I also suspect the map was made before 64k moved over to using Kopernicus and some of the orbital parameters changed slightly. I've never used 7500 dv to get to an orbit lower than at least 1000km.

I don't have my Mechjeb settings handy right now, but after about a dozen launches with Gravity Turn I found a profile that matches for the most part. A few rockets I have are overpowered at launch (SRB's to get off the pad with a low TWR first stage) and will fly 'above the curve' watching the ascent trajectory, but I have corrective steering enabled with typically shallows out the curve later in the launch. I find this approach helps because a rocket with a higher initial TWR will get a little higher than the curve early on, which will reduce the amount of time the rocket spends near max dynamic pressure with motors I can't throttle. It's self-correcting.

I think my SMURFF settings are currently set to .5, the smallest rocket I have currently is using procedural tanks and the RSB engines (which are OP for a 6.4x rescale, I think) but is still 2.5m at it's base. It will lift a total payload of about 5 tons (including high energy upper stage) to LKO. If I continue to use RSB stuff I might disable SMURFF entirely, as I think it's still slightly cheaty to get to orbit with it. Also note that I'm not currently playing in career. I can't imagine trying to get even half a ton to orbit with stock 1.25m parts, at least without a comprehensive ISP buff to stock parts.

Edited by MainSailor

2 hours ago, MainSailor said:

I'm not currently playing stock 6.4x...

Thanks for the input. I'm traveling on business at the moment but will try 6.4x again when I get home later in the week. Since Im really trying for a solid career mode experience, I was more interested in trying to emulate Nolnoc's 365 mod, which should be a 3.2x resize and a 6.4x rescale. Should make career mode more possible without SMURFF or exotic engine packs. Think I was also going to keep the atmosphere rescale at 1.2857 (the 7 to round closer to an even 90km on Kerbin) as recommended in the 6.4x guide in this thread. Or is that too high given a 1920km vs 3840km Kerbin size?

Glad to see the work on SCANSat and RemoteTech configs. Kinda a deal breaker for me without them.

25 minutes ago, thunder175 said:

Glad to see the work on SCANSat and RemoteTech configs. Kinda a deal breaker for me without them.

If you want, the development version already has configs for compatibility with scansat, remote tech and antenna range.

I am waiting on some other stuff before releasing a new patch, but the dev.version should work fine. I haven't changed anything major, just some bug fixes and added some compatibility cfgs.

for those of you who requested Kerbal Konstructs compatibility:

I couldn't find anything "altitude" related in the configs of KK so either it should work out of the box or it's something I cannot change with SD

I'll ask on their thread just to make sure.

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@Armageddon

what is " MaxAbundanceAltitude " used for? I couldn't find it anywhere in the SCANsat configs.

That is found in the stock ModuleResourceScanner Module to specify the maximum altitude for that scanner. I think it only affects the readout in the right-click menu. SCANsat also uses that value for its replacement right-click readout, but it doesn't affect the actual scanning altitude for SCANsat resource scanners. 

6 minutes ago, DMagic said:

That is found in the stock ModuleResourceScanner Module to specify the maximum altitude for that scanner. I think it only affects the readout in the right-click menu. SCANsat also uses that value for its replacement right-click readout, but it doesn't affect the actual scanning altitude for SCANsat resource scanners. 

thanks, :)  I had no idea the stock scanner had that limit.... I should really play KSP once in a while :D

20 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

for those of you who requested Kerbal Konstructs compatibility:

I couldn't find anything "altitude" related in the configs of KK so either it should work out of the box or it's something I cannot change with SD

I'll ask on their thread just to make sure.

I'm fairly sure it's done on specific coordinates come to think of it

11 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88 I know the feeling... 

The M700 also has min and max scanning altitudes, I'm not sure of the exact module off the top of my head, but it's something obvious.

Do you mean it has min and max in stock ksp? Or in scansat? Because in scansat I think it uses the same modules as the other scanners

4 hours ago, thunder175 said:

Thanks for the input. I'm traveling on business at the moment but will try 6.4x again when I get home later in the week. Since Im really trying for a solid career mode experience, I was more interested in trying to emulate Nolnoc's 365 mod, which should be a 3.2x resize and a 6.4x rescale. Should make career mode more possible without SMURFF or exotic engine packs. Think I was also going to keep the atmosphere rescale at 1.2857 (the 7 to round closer to an even 90km on Kerbin) as recommended in the 6.4x guide in this thread. Or is that too high given a 1920km vs 3840km Kerbin size?

Mine is kind of a mashup since I'm playing with a different planet pack, Uncharted Land's Kerbin is slightly larger I think. Currently I think my atmosphere ends at about 91km. Considering that on Earth the von Karman line is about 100km (although the atmosphere doesn't truly end there) I'd say that's a pretty good number. Although I haven't played with a 3.2x resize, I think that would be a good number (I can't think of any reason why not, I'd put it that way.)

4 hours ago, thunder175 said:

I think, once again, I'm borrowing from 64k. I think I have his RemoteTech config in there. I haven't edited the ScanSat files at all (in terms of scanning altitudes), just the terrain heights. Although with a 6.4 rescale I don't think it's too cheaty to also allow root mode for RT.

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I'm fairly sure it's done on specific coordinates come to think of it

I'm fairly sure KK just uses PQS coordinates, right? You can change the height in the settings there, it's relative to the terrain. There shouldn't be other issues with KK buildings, they'd apply just like moving the KSC with Kopernicus.

2 minutes ago, MainSailor said:

I'm fairly sure KK just uses PQS coordinates, right? You can change the height in the settings there, it's relative to the terrain. There shouldn't be other issues with KK buildings, they'd apply just like moving the KSC with Kopernicus

Well as far as I remember, things like the floodlights and KSC++ (linked further back) don't appear to work with rescale mods...not sure what's going wrong if that's the case. It's gotta be more complicated than that

Edited by MrMeeb

Just now, MrMeeb said:

Well as far as I remember, things like the floodlights and KSC++ (linked further back) don't appear to work with rescale mods...not sure what's going wrong if that's the case. It's gotta be more complicated than that

They need to manually edited where they will be placed with every scale, i think