[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

Did an install of 1.0.5 with the main reason just to try this mod, it looks that good. Few tries with it, I love it!! :D

Idea for possible future version, maybe be able to improve air intakes. This would allow more diversification of high end planes and space planes without having to use higher tier intakes.

18 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Would far prefer this be on Kerbalstuff. Can't stand CKAN and find it to be very unreliable, but the notices provided on KS is excellent. :)

CKAN and Kerbalstuff work together, no need to exclude one because you like the other.

And I have about 170 mods installed via CKAN, with no problems

On 4.1.2016 at 9:39 PM, JeffreyCor said:

Did an install of 1.0.5 with the main reason just to try this mod, it looks that good. Few tries with it, I love it!! :D

Idea for possible future version, maybe be able to improve air intakes. This would allow more diversification of high end planes and space planes without having to use higher tier intakes.

I think that is a good idea. I'll put air intakes (more generally speaking resource intakes) on the list for the next update.

On 5.1.2016 at 6:56 AM, abowl said:

any plans on listing this on CKAN? It will help keeping up with updates

I am using CKAN myself for all of my other mods. I'll look into it.

On 7.1.2016 at 2:55 PM, Konraddo said:

If I uninstall the mod, what happen to upgraded parts in a save game? Do they smoothly revert to the original stats?

If you uninstall the mod your stats will be back to normal. You won't get your science points back tough and if you open the debug console you will see warnings when loading a game because the mod has its own sections in your savegame files (search for "KRnDScenarioModule" and "KRnDModule") which aren't removed automatically. This isn't completely clean but won't break your game.

Not sure if this is an issue or I'm missing something, but it appears this mod gets confused with multi mode engines. It seems to lock the engine into having the game only see one mode as even the part information (right click window in part selection) shows the same specs duplicated rather then the two different modes of the engine.

EDIT: Confirmed, taking this out and starting a new save to clear everything allows multimode engines to be as expected, but installing this causes multimode engines to become single mode as both modes then have then same specs taking the first mode as the only mode.

Edited by JeffreyCor

Great Ideea!

This bring the career mode to a whole new Level! Thanks man.

I hope you will be open to suggestions and improvements.

p.s. Fusebox has issues with modifications.

Edited by boborene

Awesome concept, 

Is possible make it work inverse ?

Have cheaper parts at startup and after improve them to default values ?

Other than that is possible add another way for pay the improvement ?

You can spent science point or money for improve the part

Edited by Badsector

Really fun mod but I think it should be more balanced. Now I can make NERV TWR 4 times larger and boost ISP using only a fraction of science I get from making a mission to Eeloo.

One way of dealing with it is making stats little bit worse at the beginning, then being able to upgrade them to normal KSP levels and even better. Or capping the max improvements so we cant get 1400 ISP nerv or super lightweight ISRU.

Also great improvement idea. Increase max temperature of parts!

Edited by prykpryk

I love some of the recommendations here. I'd be really interested in seeing:

1. Part Cost Reduction -- I know you said Strategies should help, but this mod would make a lot of sense in this regard as well (IMO)
  2. Realistic Improvements -- Not real as in tied to a real life counterpart, but like prykpryk said, cap the max upgrade and give diminishing returns as you approach it. You might have to limit this based on improvement category (e.g. a battery with double the capacity is reasonable, but an engine with double the ISP or thrust is not).
  3. Again like prykpryk, if I've got this mod installed my masochistic side would love to have the option of dropping the base values on some of these aspects to as low as 80% of their base effectiveness.

Super happy you made this mod, you're a creative genius :D

I disagree on both the diminishing returns and cap ideas proposed. As in anything you can sink all kinds of R&D into a project and get it to do what was thought to be impossible. Instead, an increase in the amount of research needed, and / or requiring both science and funds to perform upgrades. While spending a LOT will gave one amazing part, you still won't have the higher parts unlocked and by their nature a 1.25 part is not going to give the performance of a 2.5.

I was playing last week, and thought about this very concept. And boom, here it is.I love the layout you chose, with the current version and updated version right next each other, and have the upgrades in green.

Oh this does look interesting! I wonder if it could be balanced in a +/- way? For example, on engines if you increase ISP, the thrust reduces slightly. Or mass increases slightly. Then increasing thrust decreases ISP etc. Overall, doing both upgrades will increase the ISP and Thrust slightly, but focusing on one or the other will get you far better results. Combining this with the diminishing returns would force people to make decisions on how they are upgrading certain engines.

Not sure how it would apply to simpler items, such as fuel tanks. Increasing cost as dry weight goes down seems a little simplistic. Perhaps reducing heat tolerance? Or crash tolerance? I'm sure some variant could be done. It'd be interesting to see how this would affect a game, such as developing certain fuel tanks for use in re-entry vehicles and some for deep space work, limiting which of the vanilla types get modified for certain roles.

Very interesting idea. I'll give it a try in my new save. Though, i'm surprised no one proposed adding fund cost to upgrades. It makes sense for R&D process to use not only Science points, but also money - with upgrades becoming more and more expensive along the way.

I think I found an issue:
On engines that  can switch mode like the Rapier or Nertea's NTRs, if you try and upgrade the engine only the first mode works. Actually it over-writes the second mode it appears.

Actually it seems to work properly, it's just you can't see that second stat in the VAB/SPH

Edited by helaeon