[1.9.x] Launch Towers Pack

sciencepanda

1 hour ago, DarthVader said:

where is the MM .cfg to get the merlins to attach to the tower?

The only MM config adds the attachment node to the Octaweb. I decided it was easier to attach to the octoweb on he 1.1 and 1.1FT. On the F1 and the F9 1.0, the Merlin 1C already has an attachment node, so no MM patch is needed.

Anyway, the MM patch for the Octaweb is located here: GameData/Science818/configs

I've actually thought about that, but that presents numerous real world problems... As a result, I can't think of any configuration of a tower that would work. I could just throw something together, but it wouldn't look right... It's for that reason that I've tried to base my towers off of what already exists..

Hey @sciencepanda maybe I have a solution for some small glitches with the launch towers. Maybe you should just remove the LaunchClamp module from all the towers configs. This will prevent things like towers floating around in the air (see KottabosGames video) and probably also the bug where the Falcon Heavy launch tower falls to one side. You could use ModuleAnimatedDecoupler to play the decoupling animation (the retract of the launchclamps) when the rocket/tower is seperated. Maybe you want to give it a try. Otherwise, very neat work.

Here's the review from KottabosGames :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxssqhdElgM

3 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Hey @sciencepanda maybe I have a solution for some small glitches with the launch towers. Maybe you should just remove the LaunchClamp module from all the towers configs. This will prevent things like towers floating around in the air (see KottabosGames video) and probably also the bug where the Falcon Heavy launch tower falls to one side. You could use ModuleAnimatedDecoupler to play the decoupling animation (the retract of the launchclamps) when the rocket/tower is seperated. Maybe you want to give it a try. Otherwise, very neat work.

Here's the review from KottabosGames :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxssqhdElgM

A few things I probably should have addressed in the Op....

Floating in the air: I meant to do that, it kinda provides a more stable launch pad.

The tower falling down: It's meant to retract to the ground upon liftoff: however, if you place the tower as your first part, it will glitch and cause the tower to jump to the end of the "launch" animation upon completion of the "retract animation"... So, you should place the launch tower last. I'll update the OP to make sure that is mentioned.

So are these towers made with RO/RSS sizes in mind? I don't know much about Laztek's packs, I used them one time and the rocket didn't work very well (back in .25 or so) and the memory it took up wasn't worth it for me, and I don't think I ever used it without RSS involved so I don't remember if the rockets were kerbalized and then patched to fit RSS sizes. I have been looking for more launch towers (even made a mod request about it a few months back) and I'd definitely like to add this to my RO/RP-0 build. If not I can always make a config in tweakscale.

2 hours ago, shoe7ess said:

So are these towers made with RO/RSS sizes in mind? I don't know much about Laztek's packs, I used them one time and the rocket didn't work very well (back in .25 or so) and the memory it took up wasn't worth it for me, and I don't think I ever used it without RSS involved so I don't remember if the rockets were kerbalized and then patched to fit RSS sizes. I have been looking for more launch towers (even made a mod request about it a few months back) and I'd definitely like to add this to my RO/RP-0 build. If not I can always make a config in tweakscale.

All of Kartoffelkuchens launch vehicles are 1:1 scale with their real world counterparts, and these launch towers are made more or less specifically for Launchers Pack: SpaceX LVP, so yes, they are made with RSSRO in mind. I believe there are configs contained within this mod that does rescale the launch vehicles, but that only scales the down in size.

11 hours ago, liquidhype said:

All of Kartoffelkuchens launch vehicles are 1:1 scale with their real world counterparts, and these launch towers are made more or less specifically for Launchers Pack: SpaceX LVP, so yes, they are made with RSSRO in mind. I believe there are configs contained within this mod that does rescale the launch vehicles, but that only scales the down in size.

Wonderful! Thanks for the answer

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered about that too actually. Yes, it's possible, if I may answer for sciencepanda. He can then animate the end of the pipe that it stays visually attached to the Falcon 9/Heavy while strongback retracts and make another animation which let's him deploy the tubes. 

Though if he wants to do it, that's his thing. ;)

7 hours ago, Drj3199 said:

Is it possible to make the pipe/ tube things that stay connected to the f9 even after strong back retraction?

6 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I wondered about that too actually. Yes, it's possible, if I may answer for sciencepanda. He can then animate the end of the pipe that it stays visually attached to the Falcon 9/Heavy while strongback retracts and make another animation which let's him deploy the tubes. 

Though if he wants to do it, that's his thing. ;)

Exactly. I have though about doing that, I just haven't had the time. The next few months are "Robotics Season". For the next six weeks, I'm building a robot. Anyone who has experience in FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) will know what I am talking about.

3 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Yeah. I was also thinking about some things like the umbillicals. Making them fall away a few seconds after release would be awesome. 

I'll work on implementing umbilicals after robotics, when I have time. unfortunately school and robotics must come before modding.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:40 PM, Delta_8930 said:

Yeah. I was also thinking about some things like the umbillicals. Making them fall away a few seconds after release would be awesome. 

I was going to work on a ragdoll plugin for umbillicals after I finish a different plugin. I have been planning on doing it for about 3 months now :P

Edited by Tristonwilson12

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 3:28 PM, Drj3199 said:

A cool idea to add to the towers when you have time and if you want to is the Niagara  sound suppression system spacex uses. 

It'll have to wait until after I finish with my robotics season, but after that I can work on the models for Niagara. Someone else will have to do the particle effects.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM, sciencepanda said:

It'll have to wait until after I finish with my robotics season, but after that I can work on the models for Niagara. Someone else will have to do the particle effects.

Sounds cool. Real life comes first. Take your time. 

4 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Do you have plans for umbilicals much like the real towers?

I've thought about it. If Triston can figure out a ragdoll plugin for them, I'd be happy to model them and add them to the mod. But again, still busy with robo, so modding will have to wait.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.