IVA for the external command seat.

This can be done with mods, but I agree it should be stock. No reason to limit it to the command seat, either--may as well have a first-person view available whenever on EVA. Having used mods that do this, I can definitely say it makes EVA both more fun and, in some cases, quite a bit easier.

Edited by Hotaru

EVA 

On 1/7/2016 at 8:49 AM, Hotaru said:

This can be done with mods, but I agree it should be stock. No reason to limit it to the command seat, either--may as well have a first-person view available whenever on EVA. Having used mods that do this, I can definitely say it makes EVA both more fun and, in some cases, quite a bit easier.

EVA might get people confused in terms of direction compared to the current way we handle Kerbal EVAs There also would have to be some control tweaking along the way since the current scheme wouldn't directly transfer over to playing a Kerbal in First person.

I also agree that they should add First person view to the Command seat. Its been done in mods, but its one of those tiny things that should be in the game. 

5 hours ago, MKI said:

EVA might get people confused in terms of direction compared to the current way we handle Kerbal EVAs There also would have to be some control tweaking along the way since the current scheme wouldn't directly transfer over to playing a Kerbal in First person.

The way we currently handle Kerbal EVAs is already pretty confusing in my opinion. It's anything but intuitive and easy to get disoriented without decent attitude control, not to mention a weird navball that shows us the direction of the camera, not the Kerbal, and a default setting that causes the Kerbal to snap back to an arbitrary "upright" orientation whenever you try to turn.

Disable the "EVA Kerbal auto-rotates to camera" setting and try Hullcam VDS for first-person view along with EVA Enhancements for better controls--that's closer to how it should be in stock, I think. Those two mods together can make tricky EVA work (like assembling stuff with KAS, or navigating to hard-to-reach science instruments) quite a lot easier.

On 1/9/2016 at 11:29 PM, 073198681 said:

@The Flame Cat

I don't really know why you liked my comment. Looking back at it now, I was quite rude...

I didn't think it was rude :-) (PS anyone know how to get pics to work on my signature)

EDIT: Got it! Like my medals? :D

Edited by The Flame Cat

• 2 years later...

Besides being quite old, this was the first thread I got by searching Google, so I think the solution I figured out should be placed here:

1) Select the Kerbal you want first person view.
2) Right click him/her
3) Select "Activate Camera"

Use "V" to go back to external view.

If the selected Kerbal is the one piloting the vessel, you will have a pilot's view. No HUDs, however.

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I think we have enough evidence at this point that squad has no intention of adding anything that the actual players want. :(

Well seeing it’s in T2’s Park now, it’s possible they will. Granted I haven’t heard them mention a peep about even listening to this section so that that notion with a grain of salt.

15 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Granted I haven’t heard them mention a peep about even listening to this section

I refuse to believe this, even if it is wishful thinking.  I can only hope the devs do pop in here from time to time just to see whats out there.   They probably can't/comment as it would be taken by some as confirmation a feature will be implemented, as those people would be upset when it's not immediately added.  The devs have to have a "wanted feature" list floating around somewhere, it's just a matter of priorities as to them being able to work on it. 

On 4/13/2018 at 5:55 AM, Majorjim! said:

I think we have enough evidence at this point that squad has no intention of adding anything that the actual players want. :(

I'm trying to think of the last repeatedly-asked-for suggestion that made it into the game...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.