Planet No. 9 to be named Eeloo

Azivegu

Pop culture dates quickly. A 4 billion year old planet shouldn't be named after a 4 year old game.

First this object needs finding. Then if it's judged a planet it will probably get a Greco-Roman name. And I reckon it might well be the PLuto trick - the name of the planet echoes the initials or name of its discoverer. I also think it won't be given the name of a previous hypothesis, so not Tyche.

Atlas is an idea, I actually think there's a lot of symbolism there. The Titan Atlas was involved in the conflict with the Olympians, and after that conflict Atlas was sentenced to hold up the heavens; the planet Atlas is suspected to have been ejected from its original location by Jupiter and now "holds up" the orbits of the Kuiper Belt objects. The Titan was also said to be the father of the Pleiades nymphs; the planet might be discovered by the Subaru telescope, Subaru being the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster.

If it's judged a dwarf planet, well firstly that makes a mockery of the IAU definition, but assuming the rules don't change then Mike Brown has already proposed that objects in Sedna's orbital region - which not-Planet Nine would be - are named after deities in Arctic cultures. And while it's not exactly Arctic as such, I reckon a name from the Norse pantheon would be popular. Possibly Odin, for the association with knowledge, or perhaps Skathi, the lesser known Norse goddess of winter, fitting for an outer frigid world. Or, if this suspected planet turns up in the wrong place, to be the wrong size like Pluto was, or simply plain doesn't exist then trickster Loki would be very apt.

Edited by cantab

First off the planet has to be confirmed.  Right now all that says it is there is some really fancy math that looks at the orbits of other bodies and looks at historic disturbances.  Right now this paper is nothing more than a possibility on paper (although it is a good possibility (3.8 sigma IIRC)) 

Once the planet get confirmed then the IAU would have to meet to determine if Planet 9 sufficiently cleared its orbit.  If if did and the IAU decides to name it then this discussion should happen.

Historically the planets are named after Greco-Roman Gods.  Depending on if this planet was flung out or was a rogue that was captured they might or might not follow the convention.  If it was flung out then I would bet we would have a planet named something like Janus, Vulcan, or Quirinus.  If it is a captured planet then the naming might get more interesting with other mythologies (norse would be my bet) getting thrown into the mix.  No matter what name they choose it will likely not be chosen by popular vote and will have a LONG history (as in Hundreds of years).  While it would be interesting to call the planet Eeloo, it would simply not happen.

2 hours ago, B787_300 said:

First off the planet has to be confirmed.  Right now all that says it is there is some really fancy math that looks at the orbits of other bodies and looks at historic disturbances.  Right now this paper is nothing more than a possibility on paper (although it is a good possibility (3.8 sigma IIRC)) 

Once the planet get confirmed then the IAU would have to meet to determine if Planet 9 sufficiently cleared its orbit.  If if did and the IAU decides to name it then this discussion should happen.

Historically the planets are named after Greco-Roman Gods.  Depending on if this planet was flung out or was a rogue that was captured they might or might not follow the convention.  If it was flung out then I would bet we would have a planet named something like Janus, Vulcan, or Quirinus.  If it is a captured planet then the naming might get more interesting with other mythologies (norse would be my bet) getting thrown into the mix.  No matter what name they choose it will likely not be chosen by popular vote and will have a LONG history (as in Hundreds of years).  While it would be interesting to call the planet Eeloo, it would simply not happen.

I don't think we will be confirming the origin of this theorized planet any time soon.

Again Cronus, He ate his children, just like this planet ate and disturbed all the KBO in its wake.

2 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

It looks like this thing is only open to people on the other side of the pond :(

well, as an American living in Europe, I just filled out my old address.

8 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I'm Canadian. ;(

You're important to me.

14 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

It's not what all Romans used. Uranus's Roman equivalent is Caelus. Now, the Greeks were conquered by the Romans, so they, as Greek Romans, would call it Uranus, but it's still a Greek mythology name. Distinctly not Roman mythology. So, not all planets are named after Roman deities.

Well, I stand corrected, that planet really has a mess of a name. I should wiki even these things instead of trusting my crappy memory. I guess it is because it was named when there wasn't an IAU to formalize the rules.

Rune. The thing I like about those rules is that you are supposed to call the Moon the same way I grew up calling it. :)

Honestly i'd prefer if it would be named after roman deities as well. It's kinda important to remember how the human race used to look up to the stars and worship the entities, and how we are traversing the skies right now.

Perhaps the name Eeloo might be more suitable for a crater on the planet? Assuming this is a rocky planet.

2 hours ago, Rdivine said:

Honestly i'd prefer if it would be named after roman deities as well. It's kinda important to remember how the human race used to look up to the stars and worship the entities, and how we are traversing the skies right now.

Perhaps the name Eeloo might be more suitable for a crater on the planet? Assuming this is a rocky planet.

Yeah it probably is not rocky, but it might have moons.

You can expect the naming convention for this one (should it even exist) to be pretty stringent. There's a lot of creativity allowed with minor objects, exoplanets and distant stars; but planets in our own home system?! That's an ultra-special case. It is such a special case, in fact, that the IAU does not even have guidelines for it. Clearly nobody there seriously expected another one...

What this means, though, is: should a planet be discovered, it will not be named immediately. Rather, the IAU will be picking up this topic at its next General Assembly. To which, I expect, the discoveres of said planet will be invited as guests of honor. They'll probably have some say, but it'll be within the limits of what the Assembly defines as acceptable. With 95% certainty it will be a Roman deity, possibly including ones that the Romans "appropriated" (like Ouranos -> Uranus).

Though who knows, the Assembly may spontaneously decide to change things up... unlikely, sure, but then again, there is no official, predetermined guideline on how to name new planets inside our own solar system right now.

16 hours ago, RuBisCO said:

I don't think we will be confirming the origin of this theorized planet any time soon.

Again Cronus, He ate his children, just like this planet ate and disturbed all the KBO in its wake.

It's likely kicked out of the Early solar system, as the Nice Model works better with such an object, but confirming will likely be a pain until we get a probe there, which itself you'll likely require something nuclear.

On January 22, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Azivegu said:

By popular demand I have made a petition to have the recently proposed planet (commonly referred to as Planet X or Planet 9 (although I prefer Planet No. 9 because it seems like it would smell nice)) referred to in all official US government documents as Eeloo and legislation be passed to make it law.

Will you sign your name and ride this to the moon?

http://wh.gov/iwz9K

Nemesis, of course, simply because of the hideous preposterousness of the name. Eeloo, no i think of igloos, its prolly a gas liquid semi giant. 

Nemesis is name that would perplex people to investigate and explore, if we call it eeloo theyvwill simply play ksp and get bored and forget about it. 

BTW, in the words of the latest published proponent, we have to observe it first, don't put vulcan before the theory of relativity. 

10 hours ago, PB666 said:

Nemesis, of course, simply because of the hideous preposterousness of the name. Eeloo, no i think of igloos, its prolly a gas liquid semi giant. 

Nemesis is name that would perplex people to investigate and explore, if we call it eeloo theyvwill simply play ksp and get bored and forget about it. 

BTW, in the words of the latest published proponent, we have to observe it first, don't put vulcan before the theory of relativity. 

Only problem is that Nemesis refers to a proposed stellar-mass object in the solar system. This is a planetary mass object, so Tyche would be better.

On 1/23/2016 at 10:47 AM, B787_300 said:

Even if they were to go for a Greco-Roman name, I suspect Vulcan and Cronus are definitely off the list because it would confuse the fans of a moderately popular science fiction show. ;)

In that respect I'd lean towards names like Atlas.

Edited by Stoney3K

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.