Engine not appearing in part list

I'm sure this has been asked umphteen times before, but my part is, after being exported from Unity and getting a hastily written .cfg file, not appearing in the VAB part list at all. I've given up on trying to animate the gimbal for now to reduce the chance of hierarchy errors and stripped everything down to its bare necessities, to no avail.

Here's a screenshot from Unity

And the config, partially copied from a stock engine. Can a kind soul help me spot the error? :) Possible anomaly: when imported into Unity, the model was solid pink and I needed to manually assign a material to it.

PART
{
	name = UPPvexin
	module = Part
	author = Ravenchant
	mesh = Model.mu
	rescaleFactor = 1
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.375, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	TechRequired = propulsionSystems
	entryCost = 2800
	cost = 200
	category = Propulsion
	subcategory = 0
	title = Vexin/Valois
	manufacturer = OKB Gryphon
	description = Test
	attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0
	mass = 0.252
	heatConductivity = 0.06
	skinInternalConductionMult = 4.0
	emissiveConstant = 0.8
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 7
	breakingForce = 200
	breakingTorque = 200
	maxTemp = 2000 // = 3600
	bulkheadProfiles = size1

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = True
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 18
		maxThrust = 18
		heatProduction = 150
		fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.125
		EngineType = LiquidFuel
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LiquidFuel
			ratio = 0.9
			DrawGauge = True
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = Oxidizer
			ratio = 1.1
		}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 236
			key = 1 201
			key = 12 0.001
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 2
		gimbalResponseSpeed = 8
 		useGimbalResponseSpeed = true
	}
}

Wow, that was quick! It was, I just re-exported it as model.mu and changed the line to mesh = model.mu accordingly, doesn't work.

Edit: if it makes a difference, one set of girders apparently has the normals flipped, but this should only matter visually, right?

Edited by Ravenchant

6 minutes ago, Ravenchant said:

Wow, that was quick! It was, I just re-exported it as model.mu and changed the line to mesh = model.mu accordingly, doesn't work.

Edit: if it makes a difference, one set of girders apparently has the normals flipped, but this should only matter visually, right?

I'm busy trying to pretend that my rigging homework isn't horribly behind schedule. :P

Well, I see that you don't have any effects modules for the engine. I'm not sure if that could be the issue. That collider also looks fairly complex but that wouldn't prevent it from showing up. You should also probably be using the newer MODEL{} node instead of the deprecated 'model = model.mu' method.

Is that the Diamant engine? @DiscoSlelge will be happy.

Ha, we all know that procrastination mood =D And thanks. It is indeed the engine on Diamant! At least, it's supposed to. Nozzle dimensions are accurate, the rest...not so much.

I tried adding a stock effect and using the format you suggested...will try reinstalling PartTools next, just in case.

4 minutes ago, Ravenchant said:

Ha, we all know that procrastination mood =D And thanks. It is indeed the engine on Diamant! At least, it's supposed to. Nozzle dimensions are accurate, the rest...not so much.

I tried adding a stock effect and using the format you suggested...will try reinstalling PartTools next, just in case.

I have also been working on Diamant. There's some fairly cool details on that little rocket - I'm hoping it will prove to be a useful satellite launcher.

Just as an FYI, the "mesh=" line gets pretty well ignored. It'll use whatever the last "mu" file in the folder is. However the "MODEL {}" syntax is very picky and has to be precise.

You might want to check the KSP.log and see if your part gets mentioned. Not showing up in game can be caused by all sorts of crazy things. Sometimes it's just the texture being missing or having the wrong filename, or a problem with one of the materials before exporting from Unity.

Thanks, NecroBones, you seem to be right :) The relevant log portions are:

Load(Texture): UPP/Vexin/vexintex
Load(Model): UPP/Vexin/model
Texture 'UPP/Vexin/model000' not found!

So I renamed the texture from vexintex to model000, and the opposite error appeared. Having two instances of the texture under different names solved the error as far as the log file is concerned, but the part is still not showing up. I must have messed up in Unity.

Edited by Ravenchant

This sounds sort of familiar - I may be mis-remembering but I think I had a transform named wrong that kept the model from showing up. You might try removing the MODULES and seeing if the part shows up. Would at least localize the problem a bit.

It's aliiiiiive!

RN5Z04M.png?165ZQZ9Z.png?1

Thanks for your help, people :) Starting a new Unity project and importing PartTools again did it. Now it even manages to have animated gimbal, just needs a better texture and Real Fuels compatibility.

Speaking of gimbal for these engines, @CobaltWolf, I don't know if you have the stats already, but I searched fruitlessly for a while and finally found some info on an obscure French site: L'engin reposait sur une table par l'intermédiaire d'une couronne orientable de + ou – 5 degrés permettant un réglage fin en Azimut. 5° actually sounds really impressive for such a low-tech engine!

4 hours ago, Ravenchant said:

It's aliiiiiive!

RN5Z04M.png?165ZQZ9Z.png?1

Thanks for your help, people :) Starting a new Unity project and importing PartTools again did it. Now it even manages to have animated gimbal, just needs a better texture and Real Fuels compatibility.

Speaking of gimbal for these engines, @CobaltWolf, I don't know if you have the stats already, but I searched fruitlessly for a while and finally found some info on an obscure French site: L'engin reposait sur une table par l'intermédiaire d'une couronne orientable de + ou – 5 degrés permettant un réglage fin en Azimut. 5° actually sounds really impressive for such a low-tech engine!

Hurray! Was it this site? I'll have to remember that the gimbal is 5 degrees.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.