Remove mandatory WYSIWYG for forum posts

regex

Please, for the love of all that is holy, remove the needless mandatory WYSIWYG editor for forum posts.  Or give us a button to switch it to plain text or something.  Quoting someone, especially multi-quoting or removing centered text, things like that, is needlessly complicated by this ridiculous editor.

Please, a plain text option.  That's it.  Mobile users will love you.

Thank you.

I'd like to second this, as I've found that without the source available, I can't even add an extra link to download one of my mods; on my Kerbal Joint Reinforcement page I'd like to add a link to it on SpaceDock, but for some reason I can't; it will be set up in editing and then disappear when I try to confirm it.  What is the reasoning behind keeping the source hidden?

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of markup, but without plugins, the only option is allowing html. That's just not happening under any circumstances.

There are apparently bbcode plugins, but I couldn't tell you if they're reliable or whether they introduce any potential issues of their own, and I certainly can't tell you if they'll end up getting used.

9 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of markup, but without plugins, the only option is allowing html. That's just not happening under any circumstances.

There are apparently bbcode plugins, but I couldn't tell you if they're reliable or whether they introduce any potential issues of their own, and I certainly can't tell you if they'll end up getting used.

Well that sucks because this forum is terrible for posting.  Can you maybe pass on to whomever is responsible for admin that this forum is terrible for posting and we need a BBCode plugin or something?  Or hell, even just a switch to plain text would be fantastic.

32 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Oh, you can go old-skool quite easily by just not using any features at all. USENET 4 lief, and all that.

Even USENET clients injected quotes for me.  This forum does strange things on my phone with quotes, like requiring me to have an extra line under them and all the text cleared out in order to remove them and crap like that.  Even BBCode editing on the old forums with my phone with like, two lines of text showing was easier.

It's clearly not user-friendly.  At all.

Amen. Just the other day I discovered that it's impossible extremely difficult to post links to a YouTube video WITHOUT making a huge video preview - which sometimes, we actually don't want. What if I want to link five different videos in the same post, for example, or my post has a brief reference to a YouTube video but is mainly focused on something else?
The only way I found to do it was to manually make a link using the "Link" button and ensure that the link text was not the video URL. Very inconvenient.
It also breaks the default imgur embed code a lot, doesn't allow changes to the image URL once an image has been embedded (say I decide to use the medium thumbnail instead of the large one, etc.), doesn't allow much of anything BBcode-based (i.e. embed links from various other sites), and sometimes just plain breaks altogether, mangling or losing the entire post.

There have already been many complaints about the editor. Thing is, we are not aware of any way to switch to BBCode available (if there was a reliable option we'd certainly make it available), and we're not going to allow HTML editing at all.

While I too liked the BBCode of vBulletin, we can't go back to 4 or forward to 5. It's just not happening, 4 is being unsupported soon, and 5 would result in a full rewipe of the forums.

For the love for all that is good, I don't understand why SQUAD decided to replace a perfectly working forum by a WYSIWYG version that no one wanted. Why don't they listen to the content creaters, the modders for a change and help them instead of making they life harder?

Edited by FreeThinker

Sixthed this. Full pain when editing in my mobile phone, no way to link up things, bold, italic, anything, with the WYSWIG ! I use Mozilla Firefox (for sake of RAM and storage space) on Sony M2. Also, no way to reply at quotes without sending in a new reply afterwards (which magically connects the two), and that's hoping nobody jumps inbetween. This other forum can use BB codes, and even editing long text is no pain to me ! Granted this forum looks cool anywhere, but the usage of a forum is to read and post, so when one is good and the other isn't it's a PITA. At least, just make BB codes work. Love them.

Edited by YNM
Sorry if this hurts the mods and admins, but then the thing hurts my experience too. Currently on computer anyway.

On 2/22/2016 at 5:50 PM, FreeThinker said:

For the love for all that is good, I don't understand why SQUAD decided to replace a perfectly working forum by a WYSIWYG version that no one wanted. Why don't they listen to the content creaters, the modders for a change and help them instead of making they life harder?

@Free Thinker I totally agree with you,  there are so many complaints about this new  forum software 8 in this thread alone  when are things actually going to be addressed and fixed we have had this new software for 3 months now, and its still a pile of steaming excremant, is there an ETA  when stuff will be fixed or are we going to be stuck with the default install for the next 3 years

I think that Squad wanted a safe platform for the forums, and I am ok with that. I heard before that vBulletin was vulnerable to hacking, so I'm glad they made the switch. On that note, though, I really wish the WYSIWYG editor was different, but I'll use it because I like the forums as a whole and don't want to have to worry about my privacy.

tenthed… Damn WYSIWYG thing is not working properly even in my desktop browser, much less on phone. I like new forum features, but having to start The One Supported Browser feels like fall back to nineties. This is not Squad's fail though, its internet at large going to hell, grumble grumble…

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.