Lightning Protection Tower

Abhishek Adhikari

Is there any mod which adds lightning proctection towers around the launch pad as present in the French Guiana Launch pad.

first-Vega.jpg

I am talking about the four towers surrounding the launch pad.

Please help me I need those towers as they look nice.

If there is any mod available please comment below or if possible somebody please make this mod.

Thanks in advance.

Well i think you could make something like this yourself using structural parts. If you use the welding mod to melt each of them into a single part you won't even get lag. That way you could make them as high as you like.

Regards

Tantalus

French space program?

The French are only good at two things.

Kissing and surrendering! :sticktongue:

On a more serious note, I'm 99% sure no mod exists currently to do this, In stock KSP it would be easiest to construct your own lightening strike tower in game and park it next to the launch pad. If you return to space center instead of recovering craft it will stay there forever so long as it isn't too close to the launch pad. Think of it as a fun challenge! I've built all sorts of structures for my KSC like Spotlight towers, Runway markers, even a SAM site! If you aren't afraid of a little modding, the aforementioned Kerbal Konstructs/Welding tool mods would be very helpful in setting up multiple towers that won't lag your launches up.

Best of luck!

56 minutes ago, Fisk02 said:

Y Well try making own with Kerbal Konstructs base editor.

This is my problem with the modding community in my experiance. Someone makes a request, and instead of stepping up and saying "I'll take it!", you receive several comments which essentially say "why not do it yourself". 

The modding community needs to learn that if someone makes a request it's because we lack the knowledge to do it ourselves. If someone makes a request for artwork done, you wouldn't reply "try making it yourself". We may not have time or struggle learning something like this.

I understand you may not be able to make it for them, but the fact is, if the person doesn't ask for help, then please hold onto that comment. If the person knew how to mod, they likely wouldn't ask. 

Although this is a negative post, I would like to note it is constructive. I'm hoping it will point out your fault. End of rant.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

This is my problem with the modding community in my experiance. Someone makes a request, and instead of stepping up and saying "I'll take it!", you receive several comments which essentially say "why not do it yourself". 

The modding community needs to learn that if someone makes a request it's because we lack the knowledge to do it ourselves. If someone makes a request for artwork done, you wouldn't reply "try making it yourself". We may not have time or struggle learning something like this.

I understand you may not be able to make it for them, but the fact is, if the person doesn't ask for help, then please hold onto that comment. If the person knew how to mod, they likely wouldn't ask. 

Although this is a negative post, I would like to note it is constructive. I'm hoping it will point out your fault. End of rant.

To be fair this is a game about building your own stuff, encouraging people to embrace the spirit of the game and get creative can't really be a bad thing in my opinion.

I don't think anyone was trying to be dismissive towards him, more so just realistic...it's likely that no one with the required skills to mod this will see it or be interested enough to do so.

Rather than being offered no solution by nobody, he was offered several alternative solutions by several somebodies. This (to me at least) seems like the whole point of having a forum.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

To be fair this is a game about building your own stuff, encouraging people to embrace the spirit of the game and get creative can't really be a bad thing in my opinion.

I don't think anyone was trying to be dismissive towards him, more so just realistic...it's likely that no one with the required skills to mod this will see it or be interested enough to do so.

Rather than being offered no solution by nobody, he was offered several alternative solutions by several somebodies. This (to me at least) seems like the whole point of having a forum.

Issue is, programming is not rocket building. Im all for encouraging creativity, but this is more logic and langauge building. Unlike with art, you can see your work as you do it, with programming, you cant see your work. 

I'm certain no one will, but its better to ask and receive nothing than to stay quite and miss the expert.

Issue is, their solution is pretty obvious. Its like telling the person who's requesting a picture to pick up a paint brush. If they had the skill, they would try.

6 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Not to escalate this at all, but I'd like to add my two cents.

It is not terribly hard to start making stuff for KSP. Sure, your first couple attempt will not exactly be something you want to share here, but just remember almost every modder here started from nothing. Most modders for KSP had no previous background or experience in what they set out to do. The difference is merely between who is willing to keep at it until they get it right, and who won't even try.

But like you said, not everyone has the time, or wants to expend the effort to make something. That's perfectly ok - it's ok to relax and be a consumer rather than a producer. And there's nothing wrong with making a request. There's always a chance someone will wander by and want to take it up. But that's all it is - a request. Nobody is obliged to do it. Indeed, several people pointed OP in the right direction to make it them self before an existing mod was uncovered (which was why I came into the topic, since I remembered the mod and was going to link it). As I already said, most modders had no prior experience so pointing someone in the right direction of learning how to do something is good IMO. I don't think the 'if the person knew how to mod, they likely wouldn't ask' line holds any water.

Finally, I am somewhat confused by your... uh, point of view I suppose? Specifically the 'your fault' line. I don't think anyone here is at fault, I'm not sure where that entered the equation. I haven't seen anyone in the thread who was anything other than helpful prior to this post.

49 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not to escalate this at all, but I'd like to add my two cents.

It is not terribly hard to start making stuff for KSP. Sure, your first couple attempt will not exactly be something you want to share here, but just remember almost every modder here started from nothing. Most modders for KSP had no previous background or experience in what they set out to do. The difference is merely between who is willing to keep at it until they get it right, and who won't even try.

But like you said, not everyone has the time, or wants to expend the effort to make something. That's perfectly ok - it's ok to relax and be a consumer rather than a producer. And there's nothing wrong with making a request. There's always a chance someone will wander by and want to take it up. But that's all it is - a request. Nobody is obliged to do it. Indeed, several people pointed OP in the right direction to make it them self before an existing mod was uncovered (which was why I came into the topic, since I remembered the mod and was going to link it). As I already said, most modders had no prior experience so pointing someone in the right direction of learning how to do something is good IMO. I don't think the 'if the person knew how to mod, they likely wouldn't ask' line holds any water.

Finally, I am somewhat confused by your... uh, point of view I suppose? Specifically the 'your fault' line. I don't think anyone here is at fault, I'm not sure where that entered the equation. I haven't seen anyone in the thread who was anything other than helpful prior to this post.

The fault is a general community and I speak openly since I have seen it time and time again from so many users that give the "try it yourself" answer. I just want to link to them the Nicholas Cage "You Don't say?". 

As to the holding water comment, it does since my point remains, if they knew, why are they asking? If I knew, I'd make it and if I struggled, then I'd ask. If I wanted an opinion, then it would be a discussion, not a request.

13 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

13 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Issue is, programming is not rocket building. Im all for encouraging creativity, but this is more logic and langauge building. Unlike with art, you can see your work as you do it, with programming, you cant see your work. 

I'm certain no one will, but its better to ask and receive nothing than to stay quite and miss the expert.

Issue is, their solution is pretty obvious. Its like telling the person who's requesting a picture to pick up a paint brush. If they had the skill, they would try.

The issue is that if the people who could make the mod you suggested wanted to, they would. Instead of saying "I don't care about this idea" or "I don't have time to do this", they say "Here is what anyone who wanted to make this mod would need to do to make it." That's a much more constructive response, because if another person comes along and does like the suggestion, they might have enough information to allow them to make it. In KSP modding, motivation to make something happen is often more important than skill.

There's so much information and support in the community to get any beginner modder started; all it takes is a first step. Don't see it as people trying to say you're wrong for not being a skilled software developer or 3D modeller, but instead as a group trying to give anyone at all the tools and information that they need to turn their modding dreams into KSP reality.

21 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

A bit to add from my experience. I used to mod over at XLnation for a game called Cities XL. Ive made hunderds of buildings and structures for that community. I also was dropped the dreaded "why not mod it yourself" line. So I went and did. And what I got in return was tons of complaints and bullcrap from the community about my mods not being perfect. I really hope this community is not like that as I have been weighing in on a massive decision. A decision to make  some mods for you guys in the next coming months after 1.1 is released.

13 minutes ago, lextacy said:

I really hope this community is not like that as I have been weighing in on a massive decision. A decision to make  some mods for you guys in the next coming months after 1.1 is released.

I am afraid things are not different here. But for every person who complains you will find many others who are happy with your work and even more who will use it silently. You have to do your best to ignore those who will complain whatever you do (and yet still use your mod).

8 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

The issue is that if the people who could make the mod you suggested wanted to, they would. Instead of saying "I don't care about this idea" or "I don't have time to do this", they say "Here is what anyone who wanted to make this mod would need to do to make it." That's a much more constructive response, because if another person comes along and does like the suggestion, they might have enough information to allow them to make it. In KSP modding, motivation to make something happen is often more important than skill.

There's so much information and support in the community to get any beginner modder started; all it takes is a first step. Don't see it as people trying to say you're wrong for not being a skilled software developer or 3D modeller, but instead as a group trying to give anyone at all the tools and information that they need to turn their modding dreams into KSP reality.

But he wasn't asking to learn. He made a request. If he wanted to learn, he would of mentioned it, asked, or more likely, not mentioned it at all and just made it. Making it is an obvious approach and as you mentioned the resources to do so exist, it's a matter of "is it worth the time and effort" and if he lacks time or the ability then he cannot.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

But he wasn't asking to learn. He made a request. If he wanted to learn, he would of mentioned it, asked, or more likely, not mentioned it at all and just made it. Making it is an obvious approach and as you mentioned the resources to do so exist, it's a matter of "is it worth the time and effort" and if he lacks time or the ability then he cannot.

And yet, a great many of the modders here got started after getting dropped the 'try and make it yourself' line...

EDIT:

4 hours ago, lextacy said:

A bit to add from my experience. I used to mod over at XLnation for a game called Cities XL. Ive made hunderds of buildings and structures for that community. I also was dropped the dreaded "why not mod it yourself" line. So I went and did. And what I got in return was tons of complaints and bullcrap from the community about my mods not being perfect. I really hope this community is not like that as I have been weighing in on a massive decision. A decision to make  some mods for you guys in the next coming months after 1.1 is released.

That is how it is going to whenever you mod for a game I think. Just flip haters the bird and do you. And if it's not worth the extra headache - well, no shame in not modding! Nobody is forcing you to. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

And yet, a great many of the modders here got started after getting dropped the 'try and make it yourself' line...

EDIT:

That is how it is going to whenever you mod for a game I think. Just flip haters the bird and do you. And if it's not worth the extra headache - well, no shame in not modding! Nobody is forcing you to. :)

And out of saying it nameless number of times, how many has it worked for?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.