[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

For the US parts, I believe they are not that imbalanced at all considering their amounts are not tweaked for any specific mod.

Well, I guess it's not bad for blind luck, (actually some US parts have LS mod specific patches, but it's hit-and-miss) but compared to your small container that's 0.25x the food in 2x the space for 2x the dry mass - which makes the part somewhat useless, and makes me want to fix it.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The 0.625m food container is balanced for early game 'minmus' missions

It's not the capacity of your container that bothers me, I get that it's balanced for certain missions - it's the volume of the container model - either kerbal food has the density of depleted uranium or there's some magic quantum compression field going on in there... I accept that US isn't balanced against your parts, but your parts aren't balanced against each other in this respect.

Also, what are we to do for oxygen on early minmus missions? 1 small food container gets me ~30 kerbal-days, but the pod holds only ~10 days of O2 (with scrubbers, default profile), and the only small oxygen tank shipped with Kerbalism is unlocked 2 nodes further up the tech tree (at least with CTT), so... Am I missing something obvious here?

Edited by steve_v
Found the other one.

@steve_v You are right, didn't think about oxygen... At this point the 'balanced against minmus' argument is moot. Unless, I could introduce an additional very small radial oxygen container (just rescaling the existing one) and unlock it at the same time as the 0.625 food container.

So here is the plan:

• adding a downscaled version of the small oxygen container balanced to give 10 extra days worth of lifetime for 1 crew at 50% scrubber efficiency
  • reducing food in 0.625 container by half, so that it only gives 10 extra days of lifetime (so 100 food capacity)
  • you commit to me a MM patch to tweak US food/oxygen containers, and I include it in next version

@ShotgunNinja

Ok, danke für deine Antwort. Ich bin erst einmal auf die Version 1.1.0 zurück gegangen. Dort funktioniert alles ohne Probleme. Werde dann bei den nächsten Versionen mal wieder versuchen zu updaten.

Moderator Edit:

@ShotgunNinja

Ok, thanks for your answer . I've only ever gone back to version 1.1.0 . There, everything works without problems . Will try again in the next versions then update.
Edited by technicalfool
Yay für Google Übersetzen

8 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

you commit to me a MM patch to tweak US food/oxygen containers, and I include it in next version

Nothing flash by any means, but here's what I'm using now:

Spoiler

// Oxy 1000/day (* scrubber eff)
// EC 1000/day (CC only)
// Food 10/day
// Water 10/day

// 10 kerbal-days - Better changed in part file?
@PART[kerbalism-food-small]
{
  @RESOURCE[Food]
  {
    @amount = 100
    @maxAmount = 100
  }
}

// 20 kerbal-days
@PART[US_1R320_Wedge_Food]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @RESOURCE[Food]
  {
    @amount = 200
    @maxAmount = 200
  }
}

// 20 kerbal-days
@PART[US_1R360_Wedge_Water]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @RESOURCE[Water]
  {
    @amount = 200
    @maxAmount = 200
  }
}

// 30 kerbal-days (1x oxy + 3x food @ 50% scrubber eff = 1x1.25m ring = 60 days)
@PART[US_1R340_Wedge_Oxygen]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @RESOURCE[Oxygen]
  {
    @amount = 30000
    @maxAmount = 30000
  }
}

// 1 kerbal-day (not needed, default)
//@PART[US_Radial_R40_Food]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
//{
//  @RESOURCE[Food]
//  {
//    @amount = 10
//    @maxAmount = 10
//  }
//}

// 1 kerbal-day (not needed, default)
//@PART[US_Radial_R30_Water]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
//{
//  @RESOURCE[Water]
//  {
//    @amount = 10
//    @maxAmount = 10
//  }
//}

// 1 kerbal-day
@PART[US_2R340_Radial_Oxygen]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @RESOURCE[Oxygen]
  {
    @amount = 1000
    @maxAmount = 1000
  }
}

// 1 kerbal-hour
@PART[US_3R310_EVA_EVAX]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:FINAL
{
  @RESOURCE[Oxygen]
  {
    @amount = 167
    @maxAmount = 167
  }
}

// Match Science experiment nerfs for DM / US
@PART[dmUSGoo]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @mass = 0.2
}

// But not so hard, US part is smaller and harder to jettison
@PART[dmUSMat]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
  @mass = 0.2
}

Probably still some tweaking to do, esp. re. water as I am playing with the default profile and haven't investigated the more complex loops in realisim. Haven't looked into US recyclers either (yet?).

Hi,

Have you considered balancing reaction wheels and RCS systems? I've always wanted preferring RCS over reaction wheels, as at the moment reaction wheels seem to be far easier (and cheaper) to use.

7 minutes ago, theSpeare said:

Have you considered balancing reaction wheels and RCS systems? I've always wanted preferring RCS over reaction wheels, as at the moment reaction wheels seem to be far easier (and cheaper) to use.

Would simply nerfing reaction wheels with MM suffice? That's what I do. Or one could increase the EC usage, again with MM.

21cc0555013ca548af89498fe6af8ac3.png

I just updated to the latest version via CKAN (if it matters) and when focusing on the sun the radiation data GUI says nothing (cant toggle the magnetosphere showing up either).

By the way, the debug is filled with "NullreferenceException". I don't know if it's from kerbalism or not (I updated another mod and installed another when updated) but here are some logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onmxrv91trkslo2/output_log.txt?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v3f19mi6dpvfjw/KSP.log?dl=1

@steve_v Look good. I'll do some tests and integrate it. Couple of points:

• for the little radial food/oxygen containers, 1 day is too low and ultimately pointless, i think to use 5 days
  • UniversalStorage already tweak the eva pack for Kerbalism, so I'll not change that

@theSpeare I too use an MM patch to nerf them, like steve. I set the multiplier to 0.05 and that make for almost useless reaction wheels unless the craft is very lightweight. Be advised that it make early career before RCS are unlocked very difficult, so consider moving the RCS earlier in the tech tree too (or use Ven Stock Revamp that include some early one).

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

1 day is too low and ultimately pointless, i think to use 5 days

I think you are probably right.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

UniversalStorage already tweak the eva pack

Noted, I only poked at it because I like nice round numbers. :wink:

1 hour ago, Thegamer211 said:

I can confirm the same spam exeption as Thegamer211, it only appens in map view or tracking station when the menu alt+N is open and focused on the sun displaying an empty window.

bIm747N.png

the mod exeption detector is showing the exeption spaming

Edited by Skalou

@ShotgunNinja I'd like to report several bugs. I have built a modular space station in Kerbalism (also with Connected Living Spaces installed, some other mods which shouldn't affect this), and when I'm at Space Center and time-warping, sometimes my station loses electricity (it has solar panels, and enough batteries to survive night side). Sometimes the time warp drops out too late, and all my Kerbals die inside the station. But if I make station active, there are no electricity problems whatsoever.

Also, even though there's plenty of space in the station, a rotating gravity ring and a connection to KSC, the Entertainment shows as "none" for all selectable modules, and Kerbals go crazy really fast.

Also, the Kerbalism seems to register that they are in the wrong modules. For example, Bob is in the Mobile Proccessing Lab, but Kerbalism vessel window says he's in Clam-o-tron docking port.

Also, after several re-supply and upgrade missions to the station, the oxygen now stays at "permanent" - the tanks aren't full, but aren't depleting either. There is no greenhouse, scrubbers are upgraded to 80%. Seems like something messed up, and now Kerbalism doesn't calculate oxygen consumption for that station anymore.

Are there any solutions to these bugs? Have I done something wrong myself?

P.S. Unrelated question: if a Kerbal has been exposed to radiation, how can he be healed? Recovering at Kerbin? Staying on Kerbin for a long time? I can't find any info on it.

Edited by aluc24

@aluc24 Ok. Send me the log, savegame and list of mods. Some questions:

• at what version have these problems start to appear
  • are you using BackgroundProcessing? if you don't know, can you verify if there is a BackgroundProcessing.dll in your GameData folder?
  • if yes, try removing it and see if you can still replicate some of these issues

59 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

when I'm at Space Center and time-warping, sometimes my station loses electricity (it has solar panels, and enough batteries to survive night side). Sometimes the time warp drops out too late, and all my Kerbals die inside the station. But if I make station active, there are no electricity problems whatsoever

This sound like you have BackgroundProcessing installed. There were some incompatibility problems a few versions ago that I through were fixed, but this is too similar to other reports.

58 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Also, even though there's plenty of space in the station, a rotating gravity ring and a connection to KSC, the Entertainment shows as "none" for all selectable modules, and Kerbals go crazy really fast.

This I want to investigate, that's why I ask you the log and savegame.

55 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Also, the Kerbalism seems to register that they are in the wrong modules. For example, Bob is in the Mobile Proccessing Lab, but Kerbalism vessel window says he's in Clam-o-tron docking port.

Names are assigned to internal spaces automatically by CLS, if you do not explicitly name them. CLS pick the name of the first part in the tree that is in that internal space. Try naming them esplicitly using the CLS ui. Kerbalism just use the names that CLS provide.

56 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Also, after several re-supply and upgrade missions to the station, the oxygen now stays at "permanent" - the tanks aren't full, but aren't depleting either. There is no greenhouse, scrubbers are upgraded to 80%. Seems like something messed up, and now Kerbalism doesn't calculate oxygen consumption for that station anymore

I know what this is: you had an exception in a past version, somehow, that lead to a very big amount of CO2 being stored. You also have way more scrubbers than crew on that station. These in turn are able to 'recycle' co2 into oxygen faster than the crew is able to consume it, hence the perpetual lifetime.

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Unrelated question: if a Kerbal has been exposed to radiation, how can he be healed? Recovering at Kerbin? Staying on Kerbin for a long time? I can't find any info on it.

When they re-enter from the mission, all radiation is forgotten.

@ShotgunNinja

Thank you for your answer. Here's my modlist from CKAN, hope you don't mind the format:

Spoiler

"name": "ModuleManager",
            "version": "2.6.23"
        },
        {
            "name": "BetterBurnTime",
            "version": "1.4.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-Tourism",
            "version": "1.5.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "WaypointManager",
            "version": "2.5.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "TriggerAu-Flags",
            "version": "v2.8.1.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavballUpDefault",
            "version": "v0.2.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack",
            "version": "0.5.4.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator",
            "version": "1.17.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "PreciseNode",
            "version": "1.2.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar",
            "version": "1.7.12"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-CleverSats",
            "version": "1.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch",
            "version": "1.2.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "Trajectories",
            "version": "v1.6.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-UnmannedContracts",
            "version": "0.3.25"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech",
            "version": "2.1.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation",
            "version": "1:3.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "SpacetuxSA",
            "version": "0.3.12"
        },
        {
            "name": "Kopernicus",
            "version": "2:release-1.1.3-1"
        },
        {
            "name": "FerramAerospaceResearch",
            "version": "3:0.15.7.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFlightIntegrator",
            "version": "1.1.6.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "KAS",
            "version": "0.5.9.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
            "version": "1.1.1.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TweakableEverything",
            "version": "1.15"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy",
            "version": "1.1.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavUtilities",
            "version": "0.6.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "PilotAssistant",
            "version": "1.12.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "QuickMute",
            "version": "v1.09"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid",
            "version": "v0.8.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "SeriousKerbalBusiness",
            "version": "1.7.1.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "EVAManager",
            "version": "9"
        },
        {
            "name": "Chatterer",
            "version": "0.9.90"
        },
        {
            "name": "ToadicusTools",
            "version": "20"
        },
        {
            "name": "TakeCommand",
            "version": "1.4.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSPX",
            "version": "v0.2.10.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "StageRecovery",
            "version": "1.6.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalConstructionTime",
            "version": "1.3.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "ETT",
            "version": "2:v20160603"
        },
        {
            "name": "YongeTechTreesPlugin",
            "version": "1.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityTechTree",
            "version": "1:2.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAircraftExpansion",
            "version": "2:2.6.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterCore",
            "version": "v7.3.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterResourcesConfig",
            "version": "v7.3.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TransferWindowPlanner",
            "version": "v1.5.1.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "ConnectedLivingSpace",
            "version": "1.2.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "FieldExperience",
            "version": "1.0.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSSounds",
            "version": "5.0.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "RoverWheelSounds",
            "version": "2.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "KIS",
            "version": "1.2.12.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "RemoteTech",
            "version": "v1.7.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "AGExt",
            "version": "2.0b"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-AnomalySurveyor",
            "version": "1.7.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TextureReplacer",
            "version": "v2.4.13"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine",
            "version": "1:0.2.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine-Config-Default",
            "version": "1:0.2.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "FinalFrontier",
            "version": "1.0.10-2467"
        },
        {
            "name": "DistantObject-default",
            "version": "v1.7.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "DistantObject",
            "version": "v1.7.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "ReentryParticleEffect",
            "version": "1.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "HyperEdit",
            "version": "1.5.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat",
            "version": "v0.6.0.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "SCANsat",
            "version": "v16.6"

My log:

Log

Save file (please note that I have some parts from KIS/KAS and RemoteTech in use in this save):

Save file

I do not know at which version these problems started, because I discovered it just now... As for Background Processing dll, I don't have it anywhere in GameData! How come? Was I supposed to install it separately? Up until now, I thought it was integrated in Kerbalism when I downloaded it from SpaceDock.

About the scrubbers: so, it's still a bug, right? Any way I can solve it on my end?

By the way, does CLS mess up radiation shielding? Right now in my station, I have a module with heavy shielding for Kerbals to endure solar storms. But it seems that CLS sees half of the station as a single area, and calculates average shielding, despite the fact that Kerbals are in specific, heavily-shielded module.

@aluc24 I'll take a look. You don't need BackgroundProcessing, sorry for the confusion. Kerbalism does its own thing.

For the scrubber, it was a bug a few version ago. Or at least so I recall from a couple reports. It was fixed, but the huge CO2 amounts remain in some vessels. You can resolve the issue in that particular station by editing the savegame... if you are up to it, you need to set all CO2 amounts to zero, in all parts. In alternative just wait a few decades in game until the excess CO2 is consumed :sticktongue:

About CLS internal spaces: these depend on how the vessel parts are arranged, and if some parts are passable or not (you can configure them in the editor, before launch). This is all CLS stuff, not related to Kerbalism that just use the internal spaces defined by CLS. If passable parts are 'contiguous', these will result in a single internal space. You need to separe them with an un-passable part, or to set one of the part as unpassable using the right-click menu in the editor (that CLS provide). As a rule of thumb, if you can transfer crew between two parts then these are in the same internal space. To see the spaces, open the CLS ui and click on their names: you'll see the parts highlighted. For a short guide on CLS, look at its wiki here and here.

18 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@aluc24 I'll take a look. You don't need BackgroundProcessing, sorry for the confusion. Kerbalism does its own thing.

For the scrubber, it was a bug a few version ago. Or at least so I recall from a couple reports. It was fixed, but the huge CO2 amounts remain in some vessels. You can resolve the issue in that particular station by editing the savegame... if you are up to it, you need to set all CO2 amounts to zero, in all parts. In alternative just wait a few decades in game until the excess CO2 is consumed :sticktongue:

About CLS internal spaces: these depend on how the vessel parts are arranged, and if some parts are passable or not (you can configure them in the editor, before launch). This is all CLS stuff, not related to Kerbalism that just use the internal spaces defined by CLS. If passable parts are 'contiguous', these will result in a single internal space. You need to separe them with an un-passable part, or to set one of the part as unpassable using the right-click menu in the editor (that CLS provide). As a rule of thumb, if you can transfer crew between two parts then these are in the same internal space. To see the spaces, open the CLS ui and click on their names: you'll see the parts highlighted. For a short guide on CLS, look at its wiki here and here.

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Two questions:

1. What do I need to search in save file to find CO2 values?

2. The same question I wanted to ask before, how do I heal radiation in Kerbals who have been exposed? Does it reset when they are recovered?

@aluc24 Looking at your log, here is what I found:

• you are using version 1.0.9, please update to last version 1.1.1 and see if the issues are still present - this is important, lots of bugs were fixed in last two versions
  • there is a streams of exceptions from TweakableEverything referring to a 'TweakableDockingNode'. I don't know if that may be related or not, but is possible

For your last questions:

(1) use a proper text editor like notepad++, search for the string "name = CO2"
when you find it, you see there is something like "amount = NNN" in the line below
you need to replace NNN with 0 (zero)
example: on line 234924

(2) Yes, once recovered their accumulated radiation is reset

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@aluc24 Looking at your log, here is what I found:

• you are using version 1.0.9, please update to last version 1.1.1 and see if the issues are still present - this is important, lots of bugs were fixed in last two versions
  • there is a streams of exceptions from TweakableEverything referring to a 'TweakableDockingNode'. I don't know if that may be related or not, but is possible

For your last questions:

(1) use a proper text editor like notepad++, search for the string "name = CO2"
when you find it, you see there is something like "amount = NNN" in the line below
you need to replace NNN with 0 (zero)
example: on line 234924

(2) Yes, once recovered their accumulated radiation is reset

1.0.9??? I was 111% sure that I had 1.1.1. I'm very sorry for wasting your time on such a thing. I'll update right away.

@ShotgunNinja Hey, sorry to bother you again. I installed 1.1.1, and removed CO2 from all my vessels in savegame file. However, on my station, oxygen still stays at "perpetual". Did I miss something?

It fixed itself after docking with that station. Sorry for false alarm.

Edited by aluc24

@ShotgunNinja

Thanks again for the mod, still playing it and still liking it!

Just two things:

I recently had a bug with the greenhouse. For some reason the growth rate stated -infinity and was basically broken because of that. I'm not sure what caused this bug, I did nothing out of the ordinary and I'm not sure exactly when it changed so I can't tell you how to reproduce it. I fixed it by editing the save file, so at least my Kerbals survived.

Do Kerbals react to stress and radioactivity differently? Some seem to lose their minds faster than others even when they have been in the same vessel for the exact same time. How is this determined?

Edited by Guest83

11 minutes ago, Guest83 said:

I recently had a bug with the greenhouse. For some reason the growth rate stated -infinity and was basically broken because of that. I'm not sure what caused this bug, I did nothing out of the ordinary and I'm not sure exactly when it changed so I can't tell you how to reproduce it. I fixed it by editing the save file, so at least my Kerbals survived.

I don't know why that happened and I can't reproduce it, but I'll add a speculative fix for it in next version so that it should never happen again.

18 minutes ago, Guest83 said:

Do Kerbals react to stress and radioactivity differently? Some seem to lose their minds faster than others even when they have been in the same vessel for the exact same time. How is this determined?

There is a per-kerbal variance that can be specified in the rule. In the default profile, only stress and radiation have it. Respectively 33% and 10%. The value is determined per-kerbal from the name, is an hash essentially. The planner don't consider it by design.

@crapstar Try to clear the MM cache, and make sure you don't have two different installations of kerbalism somehow. In the log, at the start, MM describe all operations that is doing. You can search for this string, there should be only one occurrence of it:

Kerbalism/Patches/System/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[0]]:FOR[Kerbalism]