Show Off Your Minmus Missions!

V7 Aerospace

Hey everyone! This is my first topic on the forums, so let's get to it!

This is the place for players to share images, advice, and tales (successful or not) of their Minmus missions.

Why Minmus?

I chose Minmus because of how accessible it is, but still requires some skill to get there (Minmus is also my favourite celestial body to visit in KSP). The low gravity also allows for some very impressive structures to be built. Unhindered by strong gravity, you can build bases that reach up into the sky. The low gravity also means that even at altitudes that are just high enough to scrape above the highlands, orbital speeds are fairly low, meaning that satellites will gently fly by, instead of whizzing by at thousands of meters per second.

Minmus is also the perfect place for testing and experimenting. The flats allow for easy landings, or horizontal run-ups to orbit, the highlands have points high enough that you need very little delta V to get into orbit, and the slopes are steep enough to roll or cartwheel down at incredible speed.

Minmus is also just far away enough from Kerbin for you to think you are far from home, unlike the Mun, where Kerbin takes up a fair-sized portion of the sky.

Anyway, enough rambling, Let's Begin!

Edited by V7 Aerospace

Well I've done lots of Minmus missions but I can't show them off because I didn't figure out how to take screenshots until recently. Also they were in a save that was dead a while agonit was in 1.0.5 but then a got a new computer... so yeah. No pics:(...

@V7 Aerospace, this should probably go in either the Fan Works or Space Craft Exchange areas. If you have screenshots you would like to share, great! You can do that here. But if you just asking, that should probably be in the Fan Works area.

(If you chose not to take this seriously, that's ok. I'm not a moderator anyways.)

Edited by TopHeavy11

2 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

@V7 Aerospace, this should probably go in either the Fan Works or Space Craft Exchange areas. If you have screenshots you would like to share, great! You can do that here. But if you just asking, that should probably be in the Fan Works area.

Umm... How do I move a topic? :P

Hi there, V7...

To get this rolling how about some oldschool pre-1.0 spaceplaning to Minmus..?

This mission was performed as an entry to an efficiency challenge (lowest cost per seat to Minmus) proposed by the spaceplane guru Wanderfound.

It scored terribly on cost-per-seat, but got 48 passengers plus four crew to the surface and back to the KSC runway, and made for some awesome screenshots...:D

a0vvxon.png

Or, more recently, Cinnaminmus in Alternis Kerbol, which happens to be a crimson red colour, rather than the usual minty green... and another winged behemoth basking in the radiation belts of the giant planet Jool.

iQrJ6Yb.png

Here's my submission.

The MRP-01 (Minmus Roving Probe) is a very small rover I sent up to Minmus a while ago, there were three of them launched, one on the north pole, one near the equator, and the one that fell over during deployment (we don't talk about that one :().

uYRXTOA.jpg

(sorry about the "Aerodynamic Forces Overlay: Enabled" text)

gSM1EQ3.jpg

The plucky rover collecting samples.

RLxcttN.jpg

Racing down the Flats at a mind-blowing 0.5 m/s!

Soon I plan on actually starting to use Kerbal Planetary Base Systems, which I installed a while ago but have never actually done anything base-related with. Once my current career game advances far enough, I will be able to build a large surface base on Minmus. It's time I actually did more on that little moon than just landing single-launch landers and small rovers.

On 27/04/2016 at 8:19 PM, V7 Aerospace said:

Here's my submission.

The MRP-01 (Minmus Roving Probe) is a very small rover I sent up to Minmus a while ago, there were three of them launched, one on the north pole, one near the equator, and the one that fell over during deployment (we don't talk about that one :().

gSM1EQ3.jpg

The plucky rover collecting samples.

Umm... that's a pretty big sample its got there. Looks like a Class-C sample, at least. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.