Do you think we should start a console hype train? [JOKE, NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Im excited for the console release and will certainly be double Dippin.  people should be less negative.  sure i have my doubts about the control scheme on a controller, but im confident they have it handled.   i cant wait for friends who arent really into pc gaming to try it, and to help all new comers learn the art of space navigation.  Plus all the trophy hunters.   more people will be introduced to kerbals and to me thats always a plus!

i also noticed flying tiger is doing the port,  and they have been nice to reply to questions on the fb page. i am gonna stay positive until i have a reason to think otherwise.  

so im hyped!

On 05/28/2016 at 1:38 PM, cantab said:

I don't want to see anything remotely like a mouse pointer anywhere in console KSP. (Unless you actually plugged a mouse into the console). If there's a cursor, Flying Tiger have failed, IMHO.

The port has a mouse pointer for the UI. There are some videos up and around on them there internets where you can see it.

I look forward to welcoming console players on this forum. I have a feeling it will get a lot, lot busier round here.

I'm looking forward to it.... but not necessarily hyped. I've already played the heck out of KSP, there is not alot more I can do that I have not already been done many times before.

Having said that I'm still going to be buying it out of curiosity, just to see how it works, what playing it with a controller feels like (I only use keyboard and mouse now). I don't mind giving Squad (and Flying Tiger) a bit more of my folding stuff.

Have never played KSP but I've seen Scott Manley's videos (and a few others) and I'm very excited it will be coming to PS4. I come from a Linux background so I never invested in a gaming PC (my best non-console is a Chromebook).

I realise our version might be subpar when it comes to controls and features but I don't really care. Never stopped me from enjoying Minecraft and to be honest sometimes it's nice to have a limited, vanilla version precisely because you can hit a wall and lay down the game for a while. I'd hate to see what my life would turn into if Cities Skylines were on PS4 or if I ever got back to PCs...

As for performance, perhaps this is one of those games that push me over the edge in getting a PS4.5/Neo.

So consider me on board for the hype train (even registered just to say that after lurking for a few months).

On 29/05/2016 at 11:27 PM, Majorjim said:

I look forward to welcoming console players on this forum. I have a feeling it will get a lot, lot busier round here.

Thanks! By the way, if any administrators are watching: when the time comes you'll probably want to add subsections per platform. The last thing you want is that experienced PC users have to scroll through topics such as "this mod is broken! 3000 words later, btw ps4" or "does Kinect influence part count limits" or "where can I download the Jebediah Miimoto".

On 5/20/2016 at 7:08 PM, FancyMouse said:

I'm still not used to the word console. I always thought it was some command-line kind of thing.

Hey that would be fun! KSP in ASCII art!

Just now, p1t1o said:

If I was reading this on a console, then I might say yes. Would anyone, owning a PC and a console, choose the console version?

If my PC was low end and I did not want to build super complex craft I would choose the console version.

4 hours ago, Majorjim said:

If my PC was low end and I did not want to build super complex craft I would choose the console version.

If my PC was low end, I'd upgrade it with the money saved by not buying a console :)  But silliness aside, I see your point, and I know a few people who have this dilemma for a lot of games this year. OTOH... KSP without a mouse sounds awful.

No.

Console version won't have any mods and stock game can't compensate. Too much is still missing. And creating a controller friendly UI will be a tough job (and I doubt it will be genuine).

And last: Graphics. I doubt that average console gamers are as forgiving as pc gamers are, The claim for good graphics is imho higher there, because they know about the capabilities of their machines. I doubt that a console KSP with current poor graphics, a probably (sub)mediocre UI and no support for mods and no addtional features will get a good critics score. Probably console version is for the enthusiasts only, who already know the game. I believe that Squad will fall flat on their face.

Edited by Carraux

Just now, eddiew said:

If my PC was low end, I'd upgrade it with the money saved by not buying a console :)  But silliness aside, I see your point, and I know a few people who have this dilemma for a lot of games this year. OTOH... KSP without a mouse sounds awful.

If I had a console already. Yes if I did not and I knew the joys of gaming on PC I would save for a beasty PC.

Console should have its own separate Hype Train. Locomotive should be a tank engine. Perhaps, to reflect the childish nature of console users, it should be a LBSCR Billington E2 Class Tank Engine, similar to Thomas the Tank Engine.

You're gonna need some ice for that sick burn I just delivered by rail.

Disclaimer: I have no real disrespect for console users.

Edited by GregroxMun

On May 28, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Those aren't mods, those are stock features.

"mod or modification is the alteration of content from a video game in order to make it operate in a manner different from its original version."

Doesn't matter if it's created by a guy in his underwear in his moms basement or by a game developer, if it changes a feature of the game it's a "mod". No users such as you or I can't create mods for the PS4 version, but yes Squad and FTE Games can. 

4 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Console should have its own separate Hype Train. Locomotive should be a tank engine. Perhaps, to reflect the childish nature of console users, it should be a LBSCR Billington E2 Class Tank Engine, similar to Thomas the Tank Engine.

You're gonna need some ice for that sick burn I just delivered by rail.

Disclaimer: I have no real disrespect for console users.

None taken. I understand it will be two different experiences in a way and deserving of our own sections here in the forums. I suggested this myself months ago. Maybe it will happen. It will help those who only want to read/comment on PC stuff, or console stuff.

10 hours ago, Carraux said:

No.

Console version won't have any mods and stock game can't compensate. Too much is still missing. And creating a controller friendly UI will be a tough job (and I doubt it will be genuine).

And last: Graphics. I doubt that average console gamers are as forgiving as pc gamers are, The claim for good graphics is imho higher there, because they know about the capabilities of their machines. I doubt that a console KSP with current poor graphics, a probably (sub)mediocre UI and no support for mods and no addtional features will get a good critics score. Probably console version is for the enthusiasts only, who already know the game. I believe that Squad will fall flat on their face.

You don't know for sure it won't have mods, and I don't know for sure it will. But I can tell you this, I nor many people who are into those kinda games are graphics whores. If it's a good game it's a good game regardless of how well it looks. I'm down for whatever they give me. I'll make the most of it and enjoy what I get.

On 4.6.2016 at 4:14 AM, ForsakenVoyager said:

You don't know for sure it won't have mods, and I don't know for sure it will.

According to Polygon, the xBox version won't have mod support (Hear here, at approx 5:30) and because xBox and PS4 will use the same code base, I really doubt that the PS4 will have mod support. Besides: Mod support for console was always a big question among all fans of KSP, but Squad never confirmed (nor denied) mod support. Squad is a marketing company, so they surely would have taken advantage on spreading good news...

So yes, you are right, I don't know for sure. But I will bet my boots on it...

Edited by Carraux

If Microsoft's own console isn't getting mods there's no way Sony's is. But aren't there any others out there who started playing KSP before they even knew mods for it existed? I had an amazing time playing stock, so much so that it took me a really long time (6-9 months say) to get past the 'mods are cheating' stage. I don't think the game suffers so much from a lack of mods, at least not once you're not depending on them to fix bugs anymore. Console games (even the serious ones) are usually more smash'n'crash than PC anyway, which is, after all, one of KSP's big appeals for a lot of fans (Danny2462?).

All that being said... pre-emptive Hype Trains are pretty much just a bad idea anyway (sorry @GregroxMun). If you Hype and it wasn't worthy you literally derail. If you Hype and it was, you achieve nothing that the natural process of word-of-mouth (and Steam Holiday Sales) won't achieve in time anyway. 90% of the time if I try something because it got Hyped, its a huge disappointment to me. (Pacific Rim y'all)

Edited by The_Rocketeer

Stock really isnt so bad and presents itself extra challenges to get around parts that mods usually provide.  Ive recently started an all stock career to get re-used to it for when the ps4 version hits and have been able to do everything except an Eve return lander.

I miss the extra data i would get from a custom mechjeb window tho.  I would love it if they put in some sort of stock delta v readout for just when your in the VAB.  its not needed during flight if you know how much the designed specs have. 

On 5/20/2016 at 4:39 PM, 5thHorseman said:

You can't have a Hype Train for something nobody is hyped about.

I loled.

In all seriousness though, why would an already PC player be hyped about the console version? There's no way it can hold a candle to the PC version. I'm happy that some more people get to play it, and I hope it is a good port so that they have more money to develop. But seriously, PC is better.

On 6/4/2016 at 4:14 AM, ForsakenVoyager said:

You don't know for sure it won't have mods, and I don't know for sure it will.

As far as PS4 is concerned, I can say with 100% certainty that user mods will not be possible. Sony would never allow it, the risk of something going wrong (maliciously or by accident) with the system is unacceptable to them. That said, the console edition might have some tweaks compared to the PC edition (initially or through updates) to make certain tasks easier or console-friendly, potentially removing the need for some of the essential mods. Or not, in which case everything I'll achieve will be far more rewarding. :wink:

For those of us that are excited, I say hell yes! As a PS4 gamer I can't wait. I know I'll have a un-modded version but that's okay. 

Extra sales will help you PC players in the long run and we will get some fun play time just like you. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.