Jump to content

[1.4.X] SM Marine, Version 0.9.9.3 KSP xx PSA important


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, william2002730 said:

Guys, quick question, how fast should destroyers be going? (max speed)

Approximately up to 35 knots (this is a bit too much even for the fastest, but let's assume). Which is 65 km/h. Which is 18 m/s.

1 hour ago, william2002730 said:

mine always goes around 25m/s

I'd say, it is not a ship, it's a rocket :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shnyrik said:

Approximately up to 35 knots (this is a bit too much even for the fastest, but let's assume). Which is 65 km/h. Which is 18 m/s.

I'd say, it is not a ship, it's a rocket :D

I see, thank you! Because before I got this mod, I built a ship with stock parts that go around 100m/s. I thought that's probably not right XD

Edited by william2002730
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi chaps all the drives in SMM are velocity curve limited,   scaled up drives go a little faster (but get very heavy)  , scaled down they go a little slower,

Using standard SM Marine propeller drives, big or small, tiny craft or massive the maximum speed you will be  able to achieve is in perfect conditions with a well balanced craft is around 32m/s , which is way faster than reality BUT any slower. well it's boring,  an hour to get to KSC Island is unacceptable , whereas half an hour is bearable.

There are faster craft in production, however  the faster you go and the larger the ship the sooner you are to meet the Kraken and the higher the penalty for a bit of heavy handed steering.  .   30 ish is fast enough to be fun while not posing to much user risk.  

43m1u8s.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi chaps all the drives in SMM are velocity curve limited,   scaled up drives go a little faster (but get very heavy)  , scaled down they go a little slower,

Using standard SM Marine propeller drives, big or small, tiny craft or massive the maximum speed you will be  able to achieve is in perfect conditions with a well balanced craft is around 32m/s , which is way faster than reality BUT any slower. well it's boring,  an hour to get to KSC Island is unacceptable , whereas half an hour is bearable.

There are faster craft in production, however  the faster you go and the larger the ship the sooner you are to meet the Kraken and the higher the penalty for a bit of heavy handed steering.  .   30 ish is fast enough to be fun while not posing to much user risk.  

43m1u8s.png

Understood! Since I'm new to the mod, are the more examples of ships you built other than the ones you uploaded onto KerbalX? Like some the pictures you showed on the first page of the thread, do you plan on uploading them too? 

Thank you again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@william2002730  I don't tend yo upload many ships as it's proved almost impossible not to get dev parts on builds and KerbalX users tend to get upset by mods they can't get .  However one of my partners in crime @XOC2008 has produced some basic craft built from the mod . There are links below

PS a lot of the recent screenshots are of items yet to be released, these are due to appear around the time that 1.3.1 becomes a full release

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this mod but I have an issue with the big submarine. Whenever I dive, the submarine will pitch upwards. It can be "solved" by going full throttle, but when remaining stationary, the sub will pitch up on a 30 degree angle.  I tried a lot of part combinations and even adding a lot of RCS ports but no avail. Could be a mod compatibility issue? Now that I think about it, I have FuelWings loaded. I'll dissable it and try again. 

Edit: It's not FuelWings but definetly a mod conflct. I removed everything (except Squad, SM_Marine and SM_Industries) from my GameData and it worked fine.

 

 

Edited by JFXAM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, JFXAM said:

with the big submarine

Hi, do you run any mods that change water physics in any way?   Have you scaled any part of the submarine?,  Do you have advanced tweakables activated so that you can trim individual tanks to suit the build of your sub?  Can i see a screenshot of the vessel in question?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, do you run any mods that change water physics in any way?   Have you scaled any part of the submarine?,  Do you have advanced tweakables activated so that you can trim individual tanks to suit the build of your sub?  Can i see a screenshot of the vessel in question?

Hi, as far as I know, I don't have any mod that could change water phyisics or have Tweakscaled anything. The mods I have only add vehicle parts, and the ones that change gameplay are: Fuelwings, Tweakscale, WASD editor, Extended Hangar, mechjeb, Hyperedit, BDArmory (with a couple of expansions)  SCANsat and vessel mover.  

https://imgur.com/a/XQ9gD

The vessel has only parts from SM Marine and BDarsenal. I tried serveral variations (Placing the conning tower in the rear, adding a full/empty torpedo bay, a full/empty VLS hull part) and same result. Also, this version in particular has the "premade" stern, with the prop and rudders, the normal bow (without torpedo tubes) and the conning tower with rudders and no other parts from other mods. 

Sorry for the late reply

Edited by JFXAM
Added another mod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFXAM said:

Hi, as far as I know, I don't have any mod that could change water phyisics or have Tweakscaled anything. The mods I have only add vehicle parts, and the ones that change gameplay are: Fuelwings, Tweakscale, WASD editor, Extended Hangar, mechjeb, Hyperedit, BDArmory (with a couple of expansions)  SCANsat and vessel mover.  

https://imgur.com/a/XQ9gD

The vessel has only parts from SM Marine and BDarsenal. I tried serveral variations (Placing the conning tower in the rear, adding a full/empty torpedo bay, a full/empty VLS hull part) and same result. Also, this version in particular has the "premade" stern, with the prop and rudders, the normal bow (without torpedo tubes) and the conning tower with rudders and no other parts from other mods. 

Sorry for the late reply

@SpannerMonkey(smce) I don't personally see anything wrong with the build of this guy's submarine, and I am at a loss here. I went back in and tested pretty much the same setup in my game and everything is fine, and with ballast balanced out I can sit submerged at any depth with no movement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) I don't personally see anything wrong with the build of this guy's submarine, and I am at a loss here. I went back in and tested pretty much the same setup in my game and everything is fine, and with ballast balanced out I can sit submerged at any depth with no movement.

As I said before, it works just fine when only SM Marine is loaded. Whenever I use the rest of my mods, then that's a different story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JFXAM said:

As I said before, it works just fine when only SM Marine is loaded. Whenever I use the rest of my mods, then that's a different story. 

That definitely means you have a conflict somewhere, and something is messing with buoyancy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JFXAM Hey, I'll need to see a copy of your KSP.log in order to see what is disrupting the behavior . especially as @XOC2008 has run a similar craft with no issues.

Try this procedure

Launch submarine, start engine, start fuel . start oxy generator.

Select large center tank with a fast pump, most sections have a ballast pump, there are fast and slow versions of the pump.

Activate SAS and switch on ballast pump, allow sub to sink until main body is almost submerged . STOP

Turn off fast pump. select slow pump,  now using slow pump submerge until deck is just awash, stop,   now select the stern drive section and isolate that ballast water flow, this prevents any more ballast entering the tank,  continue to submerge.

Apply a touch of forward speed  and watch how sub behaves, if the stern drops,  select stern taper, pin the PAW, select bow tank pin the PAW, now using advanced tweakables transfer some ballast from the stern taper to the bow tank.

Rinse and repeat until sub trim suits you.

While this sounds like a lot of messing about, with familiarity all this can be done in pretty much one go and quickly, and as XOC mentions it's possible to get the subs to hang motionless and level at any depth.

I'll do some images etc to clarify any points shortly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@JFXAM Hey, I'll need to see a copy of your KSP.log in order to see what is disrupting the behavior . especially as @XOC2008 has run a similar craft with no issues.

Try this procedure

Launch submarine, start engine, start fuel . start oxy generator.

Select large center tank with a fast pump, most sections have a ballast pump, there are fast and slow versions of the pump.

Activate SAS and switch on ballast pump, allow sub to sink until main body is almost submerged . STOP

Turn off fast pump. select slow pump,  now using slow pump submerge until deck is just awash, stop,   now select the stern drive section and isolate that ballast water flow, this prevents any more ballast entering the tank,  continue to submerge.

Apply a touch of forward speed  and watch how sub behaves, if the stern drops,  select stern taper, pin the PAW, select bow tank pin the PAW, now using advanced tweakables transfer some ballast from the stern taper to the bow tank.

Rinse and repeat until sub trim suits you.

While this sounds like a lot of messing about, with familiarity all this can be done in pretty much one go and quickly, and as XOC mentions it's possible to get the subs to hang motionless and level at any depth.

I'll do some images etc to clarify any points shortly.

Whoa... Uh thanks for the assistance, but I think that this is waay too complicated for a ship I barely use. This was more out of curiosity than anything else, just to see if anyone else had the same isssue. Weird to see I'm the only one. In any case, sorry for the inconvinence, I'll just stick to the  normal ships now on. I mean, I didn't really have much use for the subs anyway. If it helps for others, what logs do you need? 

BTW, all ballasts fill up when selecting "fast dive" and thats the only way I can get the sub to sink. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Edit: You mention Advanced Tweakables. I don't have such thing. All I have is Tweakscale. (Maybe is the same thing? I don't know)

Edited by JFXAM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JFXAM after taking another look at all the possible builds of sub, I've decided to give them another tuning pass, viewed with a critical eye there was an element of stern heaviness present in them all.   Due to the way the flow rules work, tank filling etc, it's a long process getting things perfect, especially when a sub as so many differently sized compartments all of different values and masses,  and tiny differences affect things in dramatic ways.  After a couple of hours tweaking things are getting very close now for all standard builds

gNXyOKM.png

4 minutes ago, JFXAM said:

Edit: You mention Advanced Tweakables. I don't have such thing. All I have is Tweakscale. (Maybe is the same thing? I don't know)

Yes you do it is built in to the game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, JFXAM said:

Edit: You mention Advanced Tweakables. I don't have such thing. All I have is Tweakscale. (Maybe is the same thing? I don't know)

After KSP loads click on settings and there is a button to enable Advanced Tweakables ... Then load your save and profit :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just realized my Aster rockets kept getting destroyed in the VLS launcher cause I used large boat parts as my hull. -facepalm- anyway, I still can't launch Aster 30s out of it, but I could with the Aster 15s. The Aster 30s won't launch via the built in trigger, key binds to the weapon manager. Only via right clicking them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MD5Ray01 said:

Also, the water start link leads to a dead end.

The static mod also linked contains many water launch points.  However i will do a new version of the standalone launch point  and replace the link shortly. note that as mentioned the static mod contains loads of water launch points   and the standalone version should not be used at the same time as water launches in the main SM Static Harbors pack. ,

Watch this space As i'll have to place some new ones first :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello... I noticed that the grab fork tool part and the heavy duty ir crane part doesn't seem to move.... Is there a plugin that I needed for them to work,  or is it just a generator ? Ty

 

This is for the current version of ksp... 

Edited by Komander Faul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...