[1.10.x] LoadingTipsPlus (V1.98) 17th Oct 2020

JPLRepo

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

"Press Z for Beans" makes total sense to me. :sticktongue::wink:
Seems like @Deimos Rast & @LabRats are working on a new Community Driven ToolTips list. Excellent!!!
Thanks @TriggerAu for the input too. Terrific! This is exactly what I had in mind when i dreamt this up last week.

Press Z...receive beans. Going to have a lot of confused console players.:D

Now we just need DMagic to come in here and write science101 tooltips for his orbital science mod. He already has a mini lecture series. Not sure if you could convert that into a tooltip. It might need to know where you left off, for example, if it were a series. He's a clever chap though, might be keen on the idea.

10 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

EDIT: Not sure, but shoving some long test strings into a file should determine that for you. There is no char limit, just what will fit on the screen. So throw some test strings in there and start counting.

Ugh, I only have so many fingers and toes...

Probably dependent on screensize yah? Do the tips rescale?

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

Well we won't have to worry too much about the poor old console players.. locked into  their stock KSP with no mods. :cool:

I thought they would get mods? I don't really care, but that was part of my sales pitch.

25 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Ugh, I only have so many fingers and toes...

Probably dependent on screensize yah? Do the tips rescale?

I thought they would get mods? I don't really care, but that was part of my sales pitch.

Ok it does scale but not as expected. 1280 width:

eW5d8IN.png

1920 width:

DXtblKt.png

I think if you stick to 1280 is the safest... Which means you have about 90? 93 chars to play with? I dunno, I ran out of fingers and toes, and the dog didn't have enough either...

Mods are not available on console as I understand it.

8 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Ok it does scale but not as expected. 1280 width:

eW5d8IN.png

1920 width:

DXtblKt.png

I think if you stick to 1280 is the safest... Which means you have about 90? 93 chars to play with? I dunno, I ran out of fingers and toes, and the dog didn't have enough either...

Mods are not available on console as I understand it.

Wordwrap?:sticktongue: That way I can put my WIP sure-to-be-bestseller fanfic as a serialized novella.:mellow:

Is 1280 a standard res for development? I haven't used that in decades; even my laptop is 1366 (which seems odd). I figured 1920 was the bare min these days, but I shall defer.

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

Wordwrap?:sticktongue: That way I can put my WIP sure-to-be-bestseller fanfic as a serialized novella.:mellow:

Is 1280 a standard res for development? I haven't used that in decades; even my laptop is 1366 (which seems odd). I figured 1920 was the bare min these days, but I shall defer.

Default res for KSP is 1280x720 - is fun trying to design stuff to scale from that to 4K

4 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

So do we have a curator for the Community Driven Loading Screen ToolTips?

Probably this guy, unless LabRats (or someone else) really really wants to do it, but I haven't heard from LabRats since Friday. My health hasn't been cooperating, so only just looking at it again now.

<----------

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if two tooltips are the same number / overlap? As an example, I know in FilterExtensions there are two options for list orderings, where you can specify the number, or just leave it blank and it slots it in after the previous entry automatically. Only asking since he started at #1 and I decided to start at #100, to avoid overlaps. I just foresee it biting me as some point.

15 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Probably this guy, unless LabRats (or someone else) really really wants to do it, but I haven't heard from LabRats since Friday. My health hasn't been cooperating, so only just looking at it again now.

<----------

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if two tooltips are the same number / overlap? As an example, I know in FilterExtensions there are two options for list orderings, where you can specify the number, or just leave it blank and it slots it in after the previous entry automatically. Only asking since he started at #1 and I decided to start at #100, to avoid overlaps. I just foresee it biting me as some point.

It doesn't matter... The plugin just looks for fields that START with "ToolTip" any following numbers, characters, repeats, doesn't matter.
IE: wildcard matching on "ToolTip*"

Edited by JPLRepo

I don't understand 'broken loading tips' how is that even possible. The stock ones are hard coded into the game. If you aren't seeing any at startup then your install is seriously not healthy.

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2016 at 0:00 AM, nightingale said:

Awesome, been meaning to do this in Contract Configurator since the tooltips got (relatively) opened up.  Now I don't have to.

Although the custom file extension and loading method makes me sad, as that means no Module Manager. ;.;

That's 'cause it loads Before MM does it's thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that KSP 1.2 Prerelease is out, PLEASE do not expect mods to be updated quickly.  
Prerelease is for the purpose of further debugging, and gives us modders an opportunity to see the new code and work with it.  
Since prerelease is typically a moving target, I will not be releasing any "official" release of my mods until KSP goes Full 1.2 Release itself.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I do not have the free time to be continually updating and releasing while 1.2 is still a moving target.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@JPLRepo Right. While browsing over updates for my beloved AmpYear and DeepFreeze, I noticed that you are the author of this one, as well. Did you happen to ninja this mod into one of them to give (some well deserved) thanks to other modders? Maybe it was someone else, or maybe Squad did it themselves.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2016 at 3:20 PM, symmeclept said:

@JPLRepo Right. While browsing over updates for my beloved AmpYear and DeepFreeze, I noticed that you are the author of this one, as well. Did you happen to ninja this mod into one of them to give (some well deserved) thanks to other modders? Maybe it was someone else, or maybe Squad did it themselves.

A few other mods add their own hard-coded loading tips; I noticed this when I downloaded a couple of Snark's mods, which add a few loading tips thanking various forumers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/30/2016 at 5:38 AM, JPLRepo said:

Whilst I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that can't use Zip tools. I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining the CKAN mod metadata for my mods.
Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

Would you mind if I added LoadingTipsPlus to CKAN for you? I didn't realize it wasn't indexed and had been using it as an optional dependency, since it's helpful for getting other mods to cooperate. Sorry to bother you if you'd rather not think about CKAN.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Would you mind if I added LoadingTipsPlus to CKAN for you? I didn't realize it wasn't indexed and had been using it as an optional dependency, since it's helpful for getting other mods to cooperate. Sorry to bother you if you'd rather not think about CKAN.

haha, if you have the time go for it. Not a problem. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.