Absurdly inane BBC article

DDE

16 hours ago, KSK said:

Oh deities. All you missed out are the invisible bullets, the force fields (subtype - invincible) and the bit which Batman jumps out of to pwn everything. Otherwise you could be channeling my 8 year old nephew.

Wahahahaha! That is precisely what I was going for, Mission Accomplished :)

For the record, it doesn't need forcefields, my standard package usually includes everything-proof armour made of "metal" (metal being infinitely strong to an 8 year old me).

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

For the record, it doesn't need forcefields, my standard package usually includes everything-proof armour made of "metal" (metal being infinitely strong to an 8 year old me).

Pff. Try SCP-022-J.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Only a pure one. As many fusion designs also include a fission contour, it can produce even more waste than a pure fission.

Hm, I realize many designs end up having a fission reactor for start-up, but why would an aircraft have it?

8 hours ago, cubinator said:

I think they are shirking from thermodynamics, which is not a good thing when you're trying to convince people of a purely theoretical aircraft that is "fifty years away" and "cannot be made with today's technology". 

Oh, come on, since when except people who know basic science care about thermodynamics?

Edited by DDE

19 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Not for startup but as an active layer around the fusion core.

Ah. Like MIT's ARC reactor? Well, I imagine it wouldn't have gamma-decay materials, so it wouldn't need serious shielding.

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Agreed with you. How should this help against  this one?

I dunno, but as a Russian, I know how desperation to throw government funding on some stupid idea looks like. Hence titanium instead of steel.

15 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

This is crazy, I actually know where that picture of the "infested" room came from! It was an "art" installation near the Southbank in London about 7 or 8 years ago. An artist filled an entire apartment with super-saturated copper-sulphate solution and seeded the surfaces as well. After some time the apartment was drained, and just like the experiment-in-a-jar Im sure a lot of us did, large copper sulphate crystals had grown on every surface. It was very cool actually, I visited it myself.

Small freaking world!

What is that website, like some kind of roleplay thing?

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Pff. Try SCP-022-J.

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-022-j

What the flip did I just read?

HAH! I knew I had seen the letters "SCP" before, but couldn't remember where. 8-year old me cherishes this thread so much.

23 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I think you’re putting too much value in the word “artist” here. The words in the article are written by a journalist, a notorious source for turning even the words of people like Stephen Hawking into straight gibberish. When I visit the “artist” site I see something that makes it hard to believe the dude is a real graphic designer, but rather someone who just enjoys making 3d models of futuristic airplanes; and the journalist fell for it after doing his obligatory 3 minutes of research.

Anyway, seems to me @Kerbart killed the riddle here, spot on: there probably wasn't any serious attempt to actually "design" future technology, just some dude who likes to 3D and write hypothetical specks for his creations, and the media wisely reporting it as SCIENCE!. He probably didn't even read Atomic Rockets or Tough SF much.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

I dunno, but as a Russian, I know how desperation to throw government funding on some stupid idea looks like.

As a Brazilian, I'm laughing so hard :D 

1 hour ago, monstah said:

As a Brazilian, I'm laughing so hard :D 

It's not like the US Armed Forces have to do the same. If you don't spend it this quarter, next quarter they'll cut your budget!

5 hours ago, DDE said:

Oh, come on, since when except people who know basic science care about thermodynamics?

But people branding things that wave aside the most important concepts in physics as "science" will make normal people who don't know any better forget about them! 

@DDE That's the same here (Brazil). My uni reformed rebuilded the sidewalk EVERY YEAR in order to receive the same budget next year. My formula student team had to spend every penny it receive from the uni until a deadline, ohterwise we wouldn't receive as much next time... 

6 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@DDE That's the same here (Brazil). My uni reformed rebuilded the sidewalk EVERY YEAR in order to receive the same budget next year. My formula student team had to spend every penny it receive from the uni until a deadline, ohterwise we wouldn't receive as much next time... 

I've always wondered with budgetary situations like this why they dont "buy" some foregn currency, or gold bullion/oil/stocks/shares/other commodity, so that the money is not lost. One rainy day when they really need a lot of money above+beyond their budget, they just liquidate those resources for extra cash.

Im guessing theres some obvious reason for not doing that.

@p1t1o It's not that simple to use the money, some budgets are meant to have a certain use, if they have a budget for campus maintenance, it have to be used this way. Even if they have a 'open' budget, they have to by stuff from seller 'pre-approved' by the government, not exactly, but more or less. And this purchases itself has also to be approved. It's an endless bureaucracy...

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I've always wondered with budgetary situations like this why they dont "buy" some foregn currency, or gold bullion/oil/stocks/shares/other commodity, so that the money is not lost. One rainy day when they really need a lot of money above+beyond their budget, they just liquidate those resources for extra cash.

Im guessing theres some obvious reason for not doing that.

Simple. That is improper use of government money. At best the Central Bank can take them as very low-interest deposits.

@p1t1o I think that MAYBE the idea behind that was to prevent istitutions asking to much money with need, so they get money that could have better use elsewhere. This way they would be olbiged to make a decent analysis before askinf for money. But once you see these institutions been forced to spend money, it's obvious that it idea failed, it would be better if they returned the money with no punishment than just spend it.

On July 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM, p1t1o said:

Stop being mean to 8 year olds. Honestly, this idea isn't practical.

That's the funniest SCP I've read!

As for the plane itself, VTOL?? BWAHAHAHA

Concorde had TWR of about 0,37 (and that is huge in airliner world).

The fusion reactor? ITER weights (or will when finished) thousands of tons. Good luck lifting that in a plane.

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Concorde had TWR of about 0,37 (and that is huge in airliner world).

At least in FS rotation was around 180 knts and takeoff was generally 220 knts. If you take 2/3rds of a 3 km runway thats 2000 m = 1/2AT^2 : V = 105 m/s thats a minimum average 0f 2.8 m/s^2. At liftoff you hit the afterburners on a full load, that would carry you off the ground.

What's worse is that a concorde needed to be all but full throttle to maintain altitude after liftoff without afterburners just to maintain altitude below 10,000 feet because of the IAS limit. The bird did not fly pretty below 250 IAS. It was an accident waiting to happen. The angle of attack of the aircraft was appreciable and the afterburners were providing the vertical thrust component that really got things off the ground, the wing shape being ideal for a ground effect also, but once in the air its balancing act to keep it up without afterburners.

I generally tried to manage at 245 IAS until I was close to my climbout point, then would punch up to about 9500 and do a reasonable nose down to bring the AS to about 400 and about 350 kts drop the burners and climb to about FL300, again hit the AB and burn to Mach 1.7 around FL450 and let is drift up to flight altitude (there's no much airtraffic about FL440 so . . . . ).

On 2016-07-14 at 7:10 AM, linkxsc said:

Wow I am honestly impressed that they have done that already.

The Soviets were freaking madmen.

On 2016-07-14 at 9:25 AM, SinBad said:

Wow, quite an article.

Corrections i noticed:

Fusion has no waste: Some fusion reactions are aneutronic, meaning they dont emit neutrons (the bad radiation) but these require not only less common fuels, but also far higher plasma tempuratures and so heavier containment methods. But that said, all fusion reactions have a un-fusable end product. By definition, this is waste.

Fission is big, heavy, dirty and dangerous: thorium, nuff said.

The future of rapid air transport is fusion: no, not quite. We have somewhere else to go first, REL A2

Huge passenger planes could be VTOL: never happen. Sorry. Its just such an inefficient method of lifting big things. I dont care what kind of energy density you get from your power plant. The energy budget you have will always be more economicaly utilised providing thrust for an aerodymic lift platform, rather than a thrusting lift platform. Even if its only 1% more expensive to VTOL, business still wont use it because that percent adds up over a few hundred flights.

I stopped reading after that.

Why is VTOL bad?

IN any case, we don't even have a Concorde 2.0. I wonder why. Was noone using it?

On 2016-07-14 at 0:15 PM, KSK said:

I think that's the Daddy version. :)  He's old for his age but not that old.

Trump?

JK, don't kill me plz

On 2016-07-14 at 4:19 PM, DDE said:

Mainstream media tries to science again. Results predictable.

I mean, it's pretty much the same people who a) say VASIMR is worthwhile and b) call it a warp drive.

But VASMIR IS worthwhile, just as a conventional ION drive would....

On 2016-07-15 at 2:55 AM, kerbiloid said:

what IS SCP ANYWAYS

On 2016-07-15 at 2:55 AM, DDE said:

Ah. Like MIT's ARC reactor? Well, I imagine it wouldn't have gamma-decay materials, so it wouldn't need serious shielding.

I dunno, but as a Russian, I know how desperation to throw government funding on some stupid idea looks like. Hence titanium instead of steel.

Hitler might have funded it.

On 2016-07-15 at 10:02 AM, DDE said:

Simple. That is improper use of government money. At best the Central Bank can take them as very low-interest deposits.

Or do the Nintendo Strategy and go to the stock market and invest. What else would they do with some $5 Billion they don't know what to do with?

IN the EU, you would lose money by investing in the Central bank.... :(

Or donate the $$$.

Also, relavent

On 2016-07-15 at 8:16 AM, VaPaL said:

It's government stimulus in action :wink:

Edited by fredinno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.