The Great Star Fleet Bandwagon of 2016

Stock Star Trek Ship Replicas

This topic will obviously center around Star Trek and all the amazingly cool Star Ships seen in the series.

Come here to post you best replica and get building tips from others.

I have been silently monitoring the craft posts on the forum and kerbalX and have noticed a recent, unprovoked influx of Star Trek themed craft from all skill levels. I have decided to take advantage of this sudden interest and post a topic about it where people can come to post their creations. I hope this thread doesn't die for all of our sake.

Here is my example.

USS Kelvin NCC-0514 

LameEHF.png

The amazing Excelsior. Built by @Azimech

3GzPb78.png

Alcubierre Warp Drive mod is recommended to make your ships have warp functionality.

HAPPY STARSHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gman_builder

Guess i should drop in couple of my StarTrek replicas:

The U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701 (2009 version).

7q12Bts.png

As you might guess, it needs zero-g and infinite propellant to work.

7FD9yHx.png

The idea was to not go for maximum detail, but instead to go for a more preservative part count of under a 1000 parts (has 742 parts). It has also been equipped with a small shuttle bay at the back that can actually fit a small shuttle craft of sorts, or at least it should, but i never tested it.

lhfbJGU.png

And in case you where wondering, yes, the new Enterprise is my favorite just after the Enterprise-E.

I made the Enterprise quite a long time ago, and never felt like doing a post about it since it is well, cheat powered.

It would also need a bit of a rework, since quite a lot of the bits are a bit off, and it also has quite a lot of useless engines.

Anyway, on with the other replica i made:

The U.S.S Franklin NX-326.

This one is a bit more fresh, since i made it like two days after i saw StarTrek Beyond (witch is my new favorite of the reboot series).

v4DK73f.png

And yes, it does fly in atmosphere, but as you can see, it needed QUITE a LOT of vernor engines to make it possible. Even then, it's very VERY unstable and hard to fly.

i6kr8oR.png

There are quite a lot of inaccuracies with this one, some deliberate and some not so much.

But all and all, even tough both of the require cheats to work, i'm quite pleased with the end result on both of them, and i will propably end up making mini-ships out of both of them at some point.

And finally: R.I.P Anton Yelchin, you will be missed ;.;.

Edited by kapteenipirk
some typos and stuff.

7 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

Also would shuttle craft be ok?

We are not here to govern what you make. You don't have to ask.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

USS Kelvin NCC-0514 

This time equipped with some reactors and electric engines from NEAR Future parts. I think it's a cool effect.

eZjiDvW.png

v4Fl2CR.png

BLAarIZ.png

Edited by Gman_builder

It's not an actual Starfleet vessel, but the Columbia class draws upon several designs including the Constellation class and the USS Franklin.

gUmDvsq.png

I've got two ships of the class currently commissioned; the Columbia CMB-107 and the Yelchin CMB-108 (I'd use Starfleet style registries but I want the ships to fit in with my game :) )

ZZg5Ao0.png

Standard crew complement is 11, though she can fit quite a few more than that if necessary.

aGzYvJY.png

She's not entirely defenceless either...

DeBfMPo.png

Despite lacking a warp drive, the ships are otherwise fully functional explorers (I may see if the KSP Interstellar warp drives can be adapted for the purpose though). I'll look into designing a small shuttle/lander that can dock to the rear port so the crew can do some proper surface exploration too.

I've got a craft file that's just the saucer section and that's easily modified, so I think I'll maybe do a Kelvin-like vessel next :)

Hey, does anyone have information on how big the Constellation class would be (saucer diameter, warp nacelle length, etc)? I'm trying to figure out how big the Stargazer should be, and how big it's feasible to make this thing in stock. I would like to fit a shuttle or two in the hangar bay.  *Totally unrealistic possibility, after attempting a 1/5 scale prototype according to the most reliable measurements I could find I realized that a full sized shuttle will be very difficult to fit in the ship, supposing I could even find a way to cut a hangar into the front of the ship using the technique I choose for the saucer*

Since @Azimech has already shown us plenty of pictures of his Excelsior, anything showing size comparison between the two would work as well, since I could probably eyeball the dimensions based on the parts he used for the saucer.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Double post, but whatever.

Considering that I coined the term "Great Starfleet Bandwagon" in the first place, it seems only fitting that I should make a significant contribution. So here it is, in the form of the USS Stargazer, Jean-Luc Picard's first command.

9lXlwlT.jpg

Still very much WIP, needs the warp section, cleanup on the saucer, interior bits, and possibly some Kerbpaint to give it a nice grey color scheme.

Saucer section and impulse engines for Stargazer are done, but I have no idea how I should go about building the warp nacelles, and I'm not sure how to properly light the impulse engines so they themselves appear brightly and consistently lit without the rest of the ship reflecting any of the light.

OGlyRFc.jpg

903 parts so far. The ship has already surpassed Das Boot as my most part-heavy ship, and it isn't even close to being done yet.

@Azimech, how's that Star Trek mod coming along?

EDIT: I now have an appropriate profile photo for the Bandwagon, and it's even animated!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

I am wrapping up development of the Kelvin because there is not much more i can do without a massive redesign. Now i am working on my next great ship. the USS Enterprise. Specifically the 2009 version because that is my personal favorite design in the entire series.

Here it is so far.

cxAxsfc.png

Looking good so far. I took a lot of design tips from my trial and error design of the Kelvin to produce this much cleaner and more accurate star ship. I take great pride in my design on the saucer and shape of the throat so far. The secondary hull needs some detail still and i need to put the Nacelles on but so far it's looking great.

15 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

@Gman_builder isn't the 2009 Enterprise supposed to be bigger than even the Galaxy class Enterprise-D?

Looks like you're gonna need a bigger ship.

Ya but i am going for "realistic" proportions rather than a actual scale size. My puny laptop doesn't have a dedicated GPU so i am amazed that i can even run the game let alone play a 1000+ part craft. If i wanted to make 1:6 scale 2009 Enterprise like the Excelsior it would be well over 3000 parts and would kill my game. I like building them to look good as much as i love flying them and having them actually work. So far it will be about the same size or a little bigger than my Kelvin model but hopefully it will look magnitudes better in terms of detail and proportions. It's at about 750 parts right now and for some reason i'm getting a lot of micro freezes which is a lot worse than lag so i might hold off for a little while. Or at least assemble it in sections and attach the all like puzzle pieces like i did with my 777. Hopefully 1.2 will be even better in terms of high part count support.

If your still looking into how to built your warp nacelles, i suggest starting with clipping several Mk1 fuselages into each other to form the rectangle you need for the proper shape. Might be a good place to start at least. Your saucer, or saucer-oid, is looking good. I too am struggling with the lighting system. I can't get my deflector dish to reflect blue light as well as the surrounding parts. I am sticking with aerospikes as my impulse engine's though. I want my ships to be functional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.