[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

8 minutes ago, Mikeloeven said:

I generated a new galaxy with less stars and the degree of the artifacts was reduced but still present. the main issue is that when this occurs it becomes impossible to launch rockets because as soon as physics simulation kicks on the rocket is shot upwards about 100 feet or so and flips (this is before any sort of ignition) I tried using support anchors and than when physics began the rocket didn't move but the game completely locked up and i couldn't launch at all. Honestly I dont think this will work until they find a way to multi-thread the physics. It always sucks when you have a beast of a CPU and a game uses less than 15% of it

Might I suggest using the fixes suggested here:

Spoiler
On 2/23/2017 at 10:17 PM, leoxc said:

The reason for the KSC disappearing act is purely because it relocates kerbol and kerbin, It doesn't like to be moved with kopernicus. The only work around I've managed is removing this 

@Body[Moho]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Eve]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Kerbin]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Duna]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Dres]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Jool]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Eeloo]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }

and setting kerbol's semimajor axis to 1, this way planets end up back where they belong and no more KSC bugging out. the infinite load screen is something wrong in the generated file like an off value or something, just generate a new one till you get one that works

This fixed the artifacts for me, although I can't make any promises about the physics as I can't get the bloody game to load since I made a smaller galaxy.

The great thing about duel monitors is you can Tail the log in real time while loading the game ill figure out how to include the second monitor in my videos that way you have a log synced to the exact time in the video that the error occurs. but if that is the fix than the solution would be to add a fail-safe to the world generation to prevent any attempts at altering the base solar system.

Does Kopernicus or TBG add anything to the save data that would cause a massive log spam of null pointer exceptions when trying load the game after regenerating a galaxy ? I took a quick look but there was no scenario section for either mod. Though this seems to be the cause of the infinite loading screen issue some people have been having with this mod

Update

Here is a video in dual monitor mode with the log being tailed in real time if the resolution is to low to read it pm me for the raw file

Spoiler

The plaintext is here

KSP.log

Update 2

I got a response on the kopernicus github page looks like the planet data was corrupted. I am attaching the galaxy config here to see if someone can figure out what the issue is so far I have only gotten 2 of the galaxy files to load over about 20 iterations.

Galaxy.cfg

Update3

I noticed that some bodies had only numbers for their names considering that variables starting with numbers are invalid in almost every programming language this might be part of the issue depending on how kopernicus generates variables for celestial bodies. Issue supposedly occurred loading a body named 1

Update 4

Looks like the issue might be related to cluster galaxies it seems the failures occur most often from these entries

Edited by Mikeloeven

I've started going through this forum thread looking for bug reports and compiling them to help out @daniel l. For people reporting bugs, saying something here is fine but it might get lost in the general chatter. If you can, please try and make a bug report at https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/issues/new . That might make it easier to see what is an issue.

I'll try and weigh in on some of the bug issues in a few minutes after I take some notes :)

1 minute ago, seanth said:

I've started going through this forum thread looking for bug reports and compiling them to help out @daniel l. For people reporting bugs, saying something here is fine but it might get lost in the general chatter. If you can, please try and make a bug report at https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/issues/new . That might make it easier to see what is an issue.

I'll try and weigh in on some of the bug issues in a few minutes after I take some notes :)

Alright. How are the procedural stars coming btw? I would like to have them ready before we integrate rare and procedural planets.

3 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Alright. How are the procedural stars coming btw? I would like to have them ready before we integrate rare and procedural planets.

Currently working for custom settings, but not for automatic yet. 

Just now, seanth said:

Currently working for custom settings, but not for automatic yet. 

Sounds good! so how are we going to tackle the issue of Coronae? Those are components of the star that cannot be generated by the algorithm. We may need some more diverse colors.

BUG KSC disappearing act:

BUG Cluster vs Disc vs Ellipse:

• When testing code changes or adding new features, I only look at "disc galaxies". I am not surprised that there are bugs lurking the the Cluster and Ellipse methods. I'll look at @Mikeloeven's report of bugs with planets in cluster galaxies ASAP.

BUG Crashes when launching from SPH (@The_Right_Arm):

BUG Crashed when scrolling through planes from KSC runway menu (@The_Right_Arm):

FEATURE REQUEST: max min planets (@JadeOfMaar):

• Provide a way to define max/min planets per star in custom setting

FEATURE REQUEST: Version for Macs (@Nailed it!):

12 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

Update3

I noticed that some bodies had only numbers for their names considering that variables starting with numbers are invalid in almost every programming language this might be part of the issue depending on how kopernicus generates variables for celestial bodies. Issue supposedly occurred loading a body named 1

Thats not the problem. The problem is the empty description field, because Kopernicus and ConfigNode dont handle empty values very well. You can choose whatever you want for the name of your body.

And to be honest @daniel l. and @seanth, code that writes this into the config file should never get released. It kills the configs for everyone

%Properties
        {
            //https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/wiki/Properties
            %description = %(theDescription)s
            %radius = %(theRadius)s
            //%mass = %(theMass)s
            //%gravParameter = %(theGravParameter)s
            //%geeASL = %(theGeeASL)s
            //%rotates = %(doesRotate)s
            //%rotationPeriod = %(rotationPeriod)s
            //%initialRotation = %(initialRotation)s
            //%tidallyLocked = %(isTidallyLocked)s
            //%isHomeWorld =   %(isHomeWorld)s
            //%timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 30000 30000 60000 100000 300000 600000 800000
            //%sphereOfInfluence = %(theSphereOfInfluence)s
        }

ConfigNode cant parse this and fails. And Kopernicus fails too because it relies on the configs being readable

6 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Thats not the problem. The problem is the empty description field, because Kopernicus and ConfigNode dont handle empty values very well. You can choose whatever you want for the name of your body.

And to be honest @daniel l. and @seanth, code that writes this into the config file should never get released. It kills the configs for everyone

ConfigNode cant parse this and fails. And Kopernicus fails too because it relies on the configs being readable

Yes. If one tries to make a cluster galaxy, that gets written. The other galaxy types do not write that to file. I am testing a fix right now.

To be clear: this glaring bug got through because of my biased testing. I (wrongly) assumed no one make cluster galaxies, so I never tested with them. :(

Mea culpa. 

Ok. 0.2.6.6 fix for cluster galaxies works (for me):

Generation Mode: c
Seed: 1234 
Galaxy Type: 2 
Galaxy Age: 1 
Cluster Number: 9 
Planets: y
Asteroids: n
Red Dwarves: 11 
Orange Dwarves: 11 
Yellow Dwarves: 11 
White Stars: 11 
Blue Giants: 11 
Brown Dwarves: 11 
White Dwarves: 11 
-----------------
 70 Stars
 111 Planets
 173 Moons
 0 Asteroids
 354  Total
-----------------

No problems. Mac version ready for download. @daniel l.: could you make the windows exe? I can't do it on my machine, apparently.

Edited by seanth

3 hours ago, seanth said:

Both are fixed.  However attempting to launch SPH's now results in either my aircraft being launched up 1.3 million meters and having no control, launching from the surface of the sun (hasn't happened in a while but obviously doesn't work), or the aircraft sinking under the runway (which I think is tied into the glitchy terrain), also hasn't happened for my last several attempts since I applied the old fix to prevent the terrain glitches.  I think once the terrain issue gets sorted out everything should be good to go.

6 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Both are fixed.  However attempting to launch SPH's now results in either my aircraft being launched up 1.3 million meters and having no control, launching from the surface of the sun (hasn't happened in a while but obviously doesn't work), or the aircraft sinking under the runway (which I think is tied into the glitchy terrain), also hasn't happened for my last several attempts since I applied the old fix to prevent the terrain glitches.  I think once the terrain issue gets sorted out everything should be good to go.

Out of curiousity, have you tried any of the following:

• Going to the sph, leaving back to the command center, going back to the sph and then launching?
  • Letting your galaxy load in a game, get to the command center screen, quitting KSP, and starting the game up again?

In my (minimal) testing, I have found that going to the launchpad or the runway and then back to the command center seems to fix the terrain glitch. Might not be a "fix" especially if you are doing a hard career mode and you stuff explodes, though

Edited by seanth

I'm going to assume that this isn't the intended function of this mod?
E5se6Rs.png

Anyway, here's my modlist. (Also on 64bit)

JUpfznD.png

Before the most recent update to this I wasn't able to even load a save. (Stuck in infinite loadscreen) So there's an improvement lol.

Also, it's cannibalizing my frames! :sealed:

5 minutes ago, stickman939 said:

I'm going to assume that this isn't the intended function of this mod?
E5se6Rs.png

What aspect of that screenshot makes you unhappy? The odd stripes on the ground?

3 hours ago, seanth said:

BUG KSC disappearing act:

BUG Cluster vs Disc vs Ellipse:

• When testing code changes or adding new features, I only look at "disc galaxies". I am not surprised that there are bugs lurking the the Cluster and Ellipse methods. I'll look at @Mikeloeven's report of bugs with planets in cluster galaxies ASAP.

BUG Crashes when launching from SPH (@The_Right_Arm):

BUG Crashed when scrolling through planes from KSC runway menu (@The_Right_Arm):

FEATURE REQUEST: max min planets (@JadeOfMaar):

• Provide a way to define max/min planets per star in custom setting

FEATURE REQUEST: Version for Macs (@Nailed it!):

Can't use the app. Well. Too bad. Doesen't matter. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Nailed it!

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Out of curiousity, have you tried any of the following:

• Going to the sph, leaving back to the command center, going back to the sph and then launching?
  • Letting your galaxy load in a game, get to the command center screen, quitting KSP, and starting the game up again?

In my (minimal) testing, I have found that going to the launchpad or the runway and then back to the command center seems to fix the terrain glitch. Might not be a "fix" especially if you are doing a hard career mode and you stuff explodes, though

I will try that later today but I don't have high hopes.  Right now though I have a cal 2 test to fail. edit: Went better than expected actually.

Edited by The_Right_Arm

1 hour ago, Nailed it! said:

Can't use the app. Well. Too bad. Doesen't matter. Thanks anyway.

Can you explain what problems you have with the Mac version? All the work I do is on a Mac and it works on my end.

1 hour ago, stickman939 said:

So you're telling me that this IS the intended function of the mod?

Edit: this was also taken during the day

What you are seeing falls into the "terrain glitches" that we are talking about. It's not the intended function of the mod, but is a known bug. Have you tried putting a craft onto the launch pad or runway, and then going back into the space center view?

Edited by seanth

4 minutes ago, seanth said:

Can you explain what problems you have with the Mac version? All the work I do is on a Mac and it works on my end.

It just says

It couldn't open the application "GalaxyGen"

This is translated from Catalan.

1 minute ago, Nailed it! said:

It just says

It couldn't open the application "GalaxyGen"

This is translated from Catalan.

What version of mac os are you running? Feel free to PM me so we can work this out.

Neither of the two suggestions I was given worked.  Both times I spawned in space without any control ability whatsoever.

Here, we see the majestic SS-42-L-7 Super Skyblade at roughly 1.3338 million meters above Kerbin, completely stationary and not gaining altitude yet somehow moving away from the planet very quickly perpendicular to how the air breathing engines are mounted.

0c2595a9038f4f35fca9cd05ac074edc.jpg

So then I tried reinstalling the galaxy.cfg file, and applied the terrain fix but without changing the semimajor axis to 1.  After these changes my KSP has been about as stable as a liquided off hornet's nest.  In my two attempts so far, the game has crashed when trying to pick an aircraft to spawn in on the runway, and shortly after loading in the KSC from the pick save screen.  Didn't even make it to the runway menu that time. 

I'm glad to see my fix has worked for at least one person, i have found a quite stable galaxy configuration with

44 Stars
 32 Planets
 58 Moons
 24 Asteroids
 158  Total

not to much overhead of stars and still quite a lot of planets. This is my exact galaxy file if anyone is interested in looking through it so see exactly what changes I made to the configuration of the sun involving returning the semimajor axis to 1 to relocate it to it's original spot, and removing the kerbol system planet relocations to remove the graphical glitching. :]

GALAXY: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ig10leaj6bxeys9/AABkYzZ-cOrzXcHUZlMXtL64a?dl=0

11 hours ago, leoxc said:

not to much overhead of stars and still quite a lot of planets. This is my exact galaxy file if anyone is interested in looking through it so see exactly what changes I made to the configuration of the sun involving returning the semimajor axis to 1 to relocate it to it's original spot, and removing the kerbol system planet relocations to remove the graphical glitching. :]

GALAXY: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ig10leaj6bxeys9/AABkYzZ-cOrzXcHUZlMXtL64a?dl=0

What version of TBG are you using? The galaxy file you provide looks like it was made by an older release. And...that's a good idea, actually. Include a single line in the galaxy file that says what version made it.