BDAc Challenges: GDJ's Top Gun Extreme Tournament

GDJ

5 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I just noticed it has AIM-9s  on the wings in the image. This is a no-missile challenge, so you may want to use guns or rockets instead.

The picture is outdated. It has only 3 vulcans for weaponry. You can check the parts list if you'd like.

24 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

there are exceptions to the rule :rolleyes:

AH yes but that's technically doing STOL and we know as long as the lift and thrust are balanced it works,  and the AI can fly it,  the lift thrust takes the place of the aero lift and all is good,  but true VTOL nah :)

Nice HWP too :)

Wow. I just had a battle heavy fighter vs. light fighter where the heavy the two remaining lights ran out of ammo. That's somewhat unsurprising for the lights, which only get one ammo box, though I may change that, but the heavy has 4 ammo boxes through 2 vulcans.. That's 2600 rounds for one kill...

Hmm.. Two engines vs. 1 bigger engine?

2 engines is draggier, since thrust scales with the 2.6 power of scale factor.

On the other hand, it offers better control and redundancy.

Except when redundancy becomes an extra point of failure, then 2 is more fragile than 1.

Plus, we need extra parts for more engines. Structure and intakes and such.

2 engines is quite a bit flatter. Better for aircraft design.

Also they're simpler to scale. No need to adapt the node size.

One engine hurts the gear placement.

Two helps for tricycle designs.

One makes a flatspin less likely.

But your plane becomes a straight line.

You could always have different engines.

But your torque just won't be in line.

A jet and a rocket might help you.

Does one engine out first cross a line?

Just now, Pds314 said:

A battle between small and large planes. Note: don't put too much stock in the results. It could just as well have gone the other way.

with this post you destroyed the magic number of post you have made.

5 minutes ago, tsoj said:

you're leaking information, its bad for you :wink:

I'm okay leaking info. I'd rather see better planes.

Plus, there's only so much information you'll see from a dogfight between two of my own vehicles, since most people build planes with relatively consistent behavior, and that behavior isn't necessarilly obvious to someone who builds other vehicles. There's also no guarantee that any vehicles shown will be my final vehicle.

Edited by Pds314

31 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I'm okay leaking info. I'd rather see better planes.

Plus, there's only so much information you'll see from a dogfight between two of my own vehicles, since most people build planes with relatively consistent behavior, and that behavior isn't necessarilly obvious to someone who builds other vehicles. There's also no guarantee that any vehicles shown will be my final vehicle.

This thread is starting to turn into a mission report :rolleyes:

I expect designs similar to the VulcaRaptor will still be dominate. High wing area for maneuverability and reaction wheels for gun accuracy. Additionally, the biplane design maximizes wing area for a given target profile.

Another approach might be to focus on the bullet joust at the start of the match. A narrow plane with GAUs could takeout the competition before the battle really starts. Although some quick tests have shown that the joust is much shorter than expected and even twin GAUs can't put out enough firepower. If anyone has test results that contradict this feel free to share.

EDIT - Way back in ASC they found vulcans to be more effective than GAUs. I'll have to revisit the tests with this in mind.

And as for the posting of testing results, I'm all for it. Sure it means you're giving up an advantage, but it makes the challenge more competitive (Fewer poorly designed planes) and keeps the thread alive.

Edited by TorchedForever

3 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

EDIT - Way back in ASC they found vulcans to be more effective than GAUs. I'll have to revisit the tests with this in mind.

The vulcan's damage has been (rightfully) nerfed in the newest incarnation of BDA. They no longer destroy entire parts in one to two hits. Now begins the debate of quantity vs quality, which is why I made this!

Also, @GDJ is it too late for me to alter the fighter I submitted earlier?

Edited by drtricky

23 minutes ago, drtricky said:

The vulcan's damage has been (rightfully) nerfed in the newest incarnation of BDA. They no longer destroy entire parts in one to two hits. Now begins the debate of quantity vs quality, which is why I made this!

Also, @GDJ is it too late for me to alter the fighter I submitted earlier?

I Bring this to your attention ...

-All planes will be tuned to your best abilities at the point of submission either by DropBox or KerbalX. Once your plane is submitted, it will be considered a final draft.

So according to the rules as posted you cannot resubmit your craft after you have already submitted one .... This prevents misunderstandings arising between contestants if a contestant were to claim that the host used the wrong version

Also there has been some tweaks made to the damage and penetration system in BDAc so what was true in previous versions may not be so true now

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Sorry. Just got home from a 14 hour job. 

I wasn't considering custom flags, but I see no reason to not do it.

As for your plane, is it a major Fart up or is the change more of a minor upgrade?
in other words, is the plane you submitted a solid flyable plane, able to fight as is or has something come up that it would become unstable or not dependable and allow the opponent to get a upper hand easier?

Edited by GDJ

14 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

I expect designs similar to the VulcaRaptor will still be dominate. High wing area for maneuverability and reaction wheels for gun accuracy. Additionally, the biplane design maximizes wing area for a given target profile.

I feel always like im cheating if i use reaction controll wheels on planes :\

Just now, notsodeadjeb said:

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/20962/edit

here is my submission.

you should remove the "/edit" thing from the end of your link.

I'll be collecting craft files at 9:00 PM MST (two hours from this posting), so make double sure everything is to your liking with the planes. 

So...if anybody has anything to change on their craft the time is now before I download.

Edited by GDJ