Imp - Ultralight Ion Drone

Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE(S):

https://goo.gl/LDo9BQ

Build on request of forum user @Hast5250 the Imp is an extremely compact ion powered drone that doesn't skimp on performance. :wink: 

sjT8aU6.jpg

Capable of operating on the Mun, Minmus, Ike, Dres, Pol, Bop and Gilly, the Imp sports an integrated RTG for recharging its power packs, and an Ore scanner to help plunder the surface of distance worlds.

JiRy7Gu.jpg

Not that you need them for Minmus but here's what it looks like with the solar panels deployed.

xCQkqf2.jpg

You can transport Imps with ease using mk2 cargo bays...

FqhEYbF.jpg

...or you can use Mk3 bays to enslave entire worlds.

mNN7dYF.jpg

I for one welcome our new robot masters, long may they reign! :science:

n3oKGQp.jpg

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Ion Engine

3 - Deploy Solar Panels

ABORT - Undock Docking Port

PILOT NOTES:

A joystick is recommended.

The craft's reaction wheel has been dialed back to 40 to stop it being over responsive.

The Imp has an integrated antenna but will need a communication network to function properly beyond the Mun/Minmus.

The craft doesn't come with a cargo port by default but one can be fitted under the engine if need be.

Enjoy! :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Awesome!!

it has good functionality too! 

they could be modified to make some pretty good scansats, or comms satellites.

I just had an idea! 

You could add a seat, and make a cheap, light gilly lander!

It would be kind of like the water rat, anyone remember?

16 hours ago, Hast5250 said:

Awesome!!

it has good functionality too! 

they could be modified to make some pretty good scansats, or comms satellites.

I just had an idea! 

You could add a seat, and make a cheap, light gilly lander!

It would be kind of like the water rat, anyone remember?

Sounds like you must have missed this:

5 minutes ago, Hast5250 said:

No, that is where I suggested this. I just think it would be cool if there was a smaller manned version of the owl.

Oh, I see. But smaller than the Owl? Wont get much smaller than that and still look good I'd say. But maybe Cupcake can think of something?

14 minutes ago, Hast5250 said:

I am terrible at this kind of stuff. I have not even made a respectable orbit yet. (IN SANDBOX!!:()

If I made something like this, I would not even be able to get it to orbit, much less the mun or minmus.

Dude, this thing doesn't take off from kerbin! Any ion craft with a few fuel tanks will make it to mun or minmus from kerbin orbit! 

Just try it man, it won't be hard, I promise. 

2 minutes ago, Hast5250 said:

I do not even know how Dv works, or how to use maneuvers.

I'm not capable of making a launcher that does not wind up in an erratic solar orbit, or crashed into the VAB.

Aw, don't be so pessimistic! Every KSP player was in that phase at some point in their career. Heck, I still remember the days when I was struggling to make orbit. Given time and dedication, it will all begin to make more sense. People can slap together crazy things not because of some innate rocket-ness, but because of knowledge and experience. So just keep trying, improve your designs, and stay optimistic. You'll get there.

2 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Aw, don't be so pessimistic! Every KSP player was in that phase at some point in their career. Heck, I still remember the days when I was struggling to make orbit. Given time and dedication, it will all begin to make more sense. People can slap together crazy things not because of some innate rocket-ness, but because of knowledge and experience. So just keep trying, improve your designs, and stay optimistic. You'll get there.

My computer can't even run ksp. all the stuff I have accomplished is on my friend's computer. iv'e even been told that I can't get a computer for Christmas.

Just now, Hast5250 said:

My computer can't even run ksp. all the stuff I have accomplished is on my friend's computer. iv'e even been told that I can't get a computer for Christmas.

Ah, jeez. Now I kind of feel bad. Still, given time, you'll (in all likelihood) gain access to a better machine, or, better yet, have enough stuff of your own to acquire a better machine. And KSP will still be there. So just remain patient and hopeful. Things may look grim right now, but the future is bright.

You don't even need a "new" computer to run KSP. Even a very cheap used one (if it isn't too old/crappy) can run KSP fine as long as you don't build huge crafts with hundreds of parts (and you don't use mods to enhance the graphics!).

I think it would be totally possible to get a used computer at ~100$ that can run KSP!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.