Orae System Planets Development Thread

Axilourous

Orae System Planets Mod

Version: OSP0.1

What is it?

Seginus Mod is a planet mod that rebuilds and adds planets to the stock solar system to a way that I see fit. The new Solar System is called the Orae System. The Orae system has a binary star system. The Orae system has 14 new planets and moons, along with 4 retextured planets! The planets will be more spaced out than the Stock system, but not nearly as spaced out as some mods with multiple star systems.

Planets with Screenshots!

Planned Changes:

• Add multiple planets with most of them having at least 1 or 2 moons, and a few with none or more that 2.
  • Change some Planets already there, such as Kerbin, Eve, and Duna(I named three randomly)
  • Add the binary star system
  • Add asteroid belt
  • Add pictures to show the system
  • Add Gas Giants with handmade textures.
  • Decide how many moons for the Gas Giants and any planets I plan to add or change.

ScreenShots:

Coming with OSP0.2...

Changelog

SM0.1:
	Aure
	Forla
	Kalu
	Ravur
OSP0.1:
	Mod name change from Seginus Mod to Orae System Planets (because the SM thing is also abrev. for a pack of other mods like SM_Utility and a few boat mods)
	Gas Giants!
		Jian and Heno
	Atmospheric Planets!
		Thinking of what to add...

This is my first mod so don't expect perfection, but I will try to get it better than I usually do... 4000 meter radius with extreme hills and no atmosphere... I will do bigger cooler looking planets with an atmosphere

More To Come!

Edited by Axilourous
Updates!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm voting for Helioseptics, but it's hard to think of something other than sanitation when reading "septics." :P So "Helioseptua" came to mind.

I admire that you're dreaming big. But don't stretch yourself too far now. "Seven stars" is a wonderful idea but is quite a stretch for an apprentice modder. :)

Edited by JadeOfMaar

xD

I think Seginus Mod sounds extremely cool. Seginus is a star 85 light years away from the Sun(I feel like that's to short, and a wiki troller did that, IDK) spectral class A7III. Funny thing is, I'm not including Seginus in the mod... AND it means of uncertain origin, and that makes it sound more mysterious.

ALSO: This is gonna be a looooong project, mostly because scaled space doesn't work... In The White Guardian's tut for planet making with PQS mods, I posted the logs and .cfg files, I think, if you think you know the problem...

This kind of thread is always a telltale sign of someone who is biting off more than they can chew. Someone who is looking for the recognition of being a mod maker, without actually doing any of the work required. Focusing on the name is backwards thinking. You should be focusing on the things that actually matter: writing configs, making textures and testing. Instead of doing the actual work required for  your mod, you're using a poll to determine what you should name your mod. Come back after you've done some of the leg work and have something to show, instead of a useless poll for a mod which may or may not ever be realized. 

@nebuchadnezzar I don't think this one is as bad as the others. The OP has posted chunks of code in the kopernicus tutorials threads and is making progress. I do agree that starting the thread with a poll for a name is approaching things the wrong way, and I've commented that 7 stars will be a stretch for an apprentice modder.

@Axilourous I can't help you with code as I've submitted my own planets to TWG for debugging. But I can tell you this. You cannot use PNG for a normal map. Normal maps can only be DDS images and you'll need someone who makes planet textures to derive them from your heightmaps.

I was just corrected by TWG.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Yeah, I have started and I am pretty sure once I use a normal, instead of height map, It will work. I even learned how to add rings! I am thinking of using a Ring around the binary stars, as an asteroid belt. I will see if I can also add asteroids in there also. And I think ima change this thread to go from what name to the dev thread, just so I don't use to much space on the forums. IDK, seems easier.

Edited by Axilourous

Also, you guys said It was backwards thinking, right? I am a backwards thinker. So... yeah. IDK:D

EDIT: Also, I finally got Sigma Binary working!

EDIT2: And Scaled Space too!

Edited by Axilourous

20 to 30 planets/moons is an ambitious task for someone relatively new to modding. Will you be releasing 0.x versions of the mod containing progressively more planets and moons as you make them? I think that would help to get the mod more attention over time, as people could play with what you've got so far whilst awaiting further updates.

Also, will you be including custom science definitions for the various celestial bodies?

20-30 planets isnt that bad, especially when I don't have a job to worry about, but I do have school, but I don't get homework so that will be fine. Anyway, yeah, I will release it with 2 folders, one of them with planets far out, and one with planets closer, that way you can include OPM or something like that. I will try to release it in Version SM0.4 so that I have it partially/half done, or at least get the 3 gas giants done and Kerbin changed. For now I have to wait for KillAshley to send me a link to the atmosphere curve calculator(because they dont want people giving a link to it, or something like that) so that I can do the Gas Giants and any other planets with an atmosphere.

Im not good with stuff like that, I will see if there is a tutorial for it, or if I can use NH or Stock science definition cfg and look at those for help,

EDIT: So I copy pasted the Science Definitions over to use for my own planets, but I noticed that there are 2 [Name]inSpace = sections for some planets. Do you know what these are?

Edited by Axilourous

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[surfaceSample]]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// This experiment is biome-specific and only conducted while landed or splashed.

PlanetSrfLandedBiome = 
		PlanetSrfSplashedBiome = 
	}
}

The syntax for a science definition is PlanetSituationBiome = What you're read when you run that science. Each science part has its own corresponding EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION ID and by that you can create custom definitions for any science part at all once you know what its ID is.

Entries for InSpace will occur for the same experiment performed in low and high orbit. It's good to use if you're lazy, running out of ideas, to save on redundant entries for low and high orbit, and when low vs high orbit is irrelevant...like moons with incredibly small SOI.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 4 weeks later...

Okay then! 20-30 planets is hard so I'm down to 14 and 4 retextures! I do need help... I can't do textures, especially for star coronas(mostly because I cant open the .dds files in TWG's star example files.) So basically, I need someone to help with textures...