allista

[1.7] Global Construction

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, allista said:

@ThunderDH, better yet, could you test a beta-version with the fix and try to reproduce the fall-through?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj6taei1y2pwffb/GroundConstruction-v1.0.0.2.zip?dl=0

Just move the existing AT_Utils, ConfigurableContainers and GroundConstruction folders away from the GameData for the time being, and replace them with the ones from the archive.

Note, that if you have Hangar installed, it will probably become broken (.dll will not load) during the test; but this will not break anything in any savegame and will be fixed as soon as you revert to currently installed versions.

Just tested and it's working fine for me, the kit doesn't go through the ground when the time-warp is enabled as expected.

But there's some other problem I noticed, one that I think is easy to fix. The kit, when deployed from above the ground detaches from anything that it is attached to and waits some time until it stops moving, the problem is that it can stop its movement while still accommodating itself to the landscape, and then it deploys and gets fixed to the ground in an odd angle, what can cause it to "Launch" with some parts under the landscape, and making the physics of KSP just eject the vessel violently into the air, and some parts can blow up due to impact with the ground or stand upside down, which is bad. And I tested it on Kerbin, on the runway, so the problem may get worst when trying to deploy the kit in this such way on a body with a lower gravity.

So I think the mod should wait some seconds after the stop to verify again that there's no movement to then deploy the kit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ThunderDH said:

Just tested and it's working fine for me, the kit doesn't go through the ground when the time-warp is enabled as expected.

But there's some other problem I noticed, one that I think is easy to fix. The kit, when deployed from above the ground detaches from anything that it is attached to and waits some time until it stops moving, the problem is that it can stop its movement while still accommodating itself to the landscape, and then it deploys and gets fixed to the ground in an odd angle, what can cause it to "Launch" with some parts under the landscape, and making the physics of KSP just eject the vessel violently into the air, and some parts can blow up due to impact with the ground or stand upside down, which is bad. And I tested it on Kerbin, on the runway, so the problem may get worst when trying to deploy the kit in this such way on a body with a lower gravity.

So I think the mod should wait some seconds after the stop to verify again that there's no movement to then deploy the kit.

Thanks a lot!

Yep, I'll add the grace period for that case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

This looks wonderful. Can I use it along with Extra Planetary Launchpads?

Indeed you can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ground Construction v1.1.0 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.01.15)

ChangeLog:

!!! Converted everything to use MaterialKits instead of Metals !!!

Watch the video explaining how to convert Metals to MaterialKits in-place.

Spoiler
  • Added MM patch to let the truck also work for Extraplanetary Launchpads assembly (made by Kerbas-ad-astra).
  • Added the new ExperienceEffect: ConstructionSkill to use instead of the stock ones.
  • Added OneTimeResourceConverter to switch to new StructureResource.
  • Stop time-warp if the construction is suspended for some reason.
  • Before deployment the kit now checks for movement and ground contact. Then waits additional 3 seconds. This fixes the floating-kit bug.
  • Also, the deployment time is now limited to prevent "explosive" deployment of very small kits.
  • Fixed the bug that caused a Kit to fall through the ground on Time Warp.
  • Made full ConfigurableContainers a dependency, othewrise GC provides no means of storing StructureResource.
  • A DIY Kit now stores another DIY Kit as is, without any mass/cost reduction (no more matryoshka cheating).
  • Fixed SEGFAULT on switching to an unloaded workshop from Flight.
  • Various small bugfixes.

@RoverDude, at last you can start to make your configs :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - been modeling the new mobile workshop :)

The game plan is that since GC will be bundled with Konstruction, the stand-alone version will have the workshop model-welded into something similar to what @allista has today, but will also be available as separate pieces in Konstruction (the cab, the workshop pod, ground mobility chassis, etc. - a.k.a. the Osprey Construction Platform).

In MKS, the only change will be that the Ore->MaterialKits path will be replaced with the current MKS->MaterialKits path, plus some alternate pods for the Osprey.

Here's the workshop pod model thus far.  There will be a chassis section to attach wheels to, and a cab attached to the front (along with end caps and such for aesthetics).

RL8HBO6.png

Edited by RoverDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @allista, great work as usual.

I'm having a problem deploying kits. I get "No Engineers in the Workshop", even if every kerbonaut on board is an engineer.

My big rover has several kits attached and the idea is to slowly drop and deploy, mine for enough resources and move along to the next drop point.

I think I've followed the deployment instructions, and the crewed modules (not GC's custom part) all have efficiency ratings and a 50m range to the deployed kit, which they can see in the menu and add to the queue. It's starting the queue that leads to the "No engineers" error message.

BTW, as a suggestion, maybe we could give custom names to the kits if there are several on one vessel (or in range)? Like you did in Hangar? In my case all the kits are the same model ship but it's dangerous the inflate a kit on board instead of one on the ground. Currently I solve this by only deploying (inflating) by an engineer on EVA, not thru the module menu.

The game is sandbox with about 50 modules but a pretty clean start (this experiment is the first thing in the game after hyperediting some survey probes into place).

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks.

 

PS. This is my first forum post, so I'm sorry if there is some etiquette rule I've broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some tweaks, etc. - here's the welded workshop model (with stand-ins for the stock wheels for scale).  This would be several parts in Konstruction, but welded into a rover form for GC.

Includes the cab, the workshop, and a large storage module for material kits.

JKWw8dc.pnga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Some tweaks, etc. - here's the welded workshop model (with stand-ins for the stock wheels for scale).  This would be several parts in Konstruction, but welded into a rover form for GC.

Includes the cab, the workshop, and a large storage module for material kits.

JKWw8dc.pnga

So that's a different cab from the malemute?  Looks similar.  Where does that fit scale wise with the Malemute and Karibou?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a custom 2m cab that fits with just this form factor (tho I have a 2.5 adapter so you could slap a Karibou cab on it).  It's kinda where I landed when I looked at how big that pod could be to still fit in a 5m fairing.  Going for the industrial look with this one :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2016 at 6:29 AM, allista said:

CNRkQCj.png

 

I *JUST* noticed that you misspelled "Handle" to "Hanlde" in the DIY kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nebula719 said:

Hi @allista, great work as usual.

I'm having a problem deploying kits. I get "No Engineers in the Workshop", even if every kerbonaut on board is an engineer.

My big rover has several kits attached and the idea is to slowly drop and deploy, mine for enough resources and move along to the next drop point.

I think I've followed the deployment instructions, and the crewed modules (not GC's custom part) all have efficiency ratings and a 50m range to the deployed kit, which they can see in the menu and add to the queue. It's starting the queue that leads to the "No engineers" error message.

BTW, as a suggestion, maybe we could give custom names to the kits if there are several on one vessel (or in range)? Like you did in Hangar? In my case all the kits are the same model ship but it's dangerous the inflate a kit on board instead of one on the ground. Currently I solve this by only deploying (inflating) by an engineer on EVA, not thru the module menu.

The game is sandbox with about 50 modules but a pretty clean start (this experiment is the first thing in the game after hyperediting some survey probes into place).

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks.

 

PS. This is my first forum post, so I'm sorry if there is some etiquette rule I've broken.

Just to cover the obvious: you have engineers inside the part you use as a workshop; and you open the control window of that part (in case of several workshop parts)?

If so, one thing that I would try is to reinstall from Spacedock. The v1.1 adds a new skill to engineers using MM patch in GroundWorkshopPatch.cfg. So the only way GC does not see your kerbals as engineers is that they somehow lack this ConstructionSkill.

Kit naming: great idea, thanks! Will do it.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I *JUST* noticed that you misspelled "Handle" to "Hanlde" in the DIY kit.

Thanks! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@allista, would it be possible to add an "unmanned construction" mode.

a way to balance it would be slower construction (i.e. 10% of fully manned speed) or crew must be present to "Finalize Construction"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, allista said:

Just to cover the obvious: you have engineers inside the part you use as a workshop; and you open the control window of that part (in case of several workshop parts)?

If so, one thing that I would try is to reinstall from Spacedock. The v1.1 adds a new skill to engineers using MM patch in GroundWorkshopPatch.cfg. So the only way GC does not see your kerbals as engineers is that they somehow lack this ConstructionSkill.

Kit naming: great idea, thanks! Will do it.

 

Thanks for the tip.

I did have engineers, and could see the Skill Trait in the .cfg and in the logs, but it wasn't effective.

I've removed all the mods and reinstalled about half again clean from CKAN and now it works. And I have to rebuild most of my craft, but that is half the fun. My game load time has decreased...

I might even give another try to Hangar, which I also had problems with (nothing could be gotten out of an extension and a megahangar full of probes was empty on arrival to Jool...).

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nebula719 said:

Thanks for the tip.

I did have engineers, and could see the Skill Trait in the .cfg and in the logs, but it wasn't effective.

I've removed all the mods and reinstalled about half again clean from CKAN and now it works. And I have to rebuild most of my craft, but that is half the fun. My game load time has decreased...

I might even give another try to Hangar, which I also had problems with (nothing could be gotten out of an extension and a megahangar full of probes was empty on arrival to Jool...).

Thanks again!

Glad it is resolved!

If you have problems with any of the modes, please, feel free to post here (on appropriate mod's thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tabris said:

@allista, would it be possible to add an "unmanned construction" mode.

a way to balance it would be slower construction (i.e. 10% of fully manned speed) or crew must be present to "Finalize Construction"

Possible - yes. But, frankly, I don't want to: first, GC is already as much futuristic as in my opinion possible. Second, kerbals should have something to do beside flying and science :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, allista said:

Possible - yes. But, frankly, I don't want to: first, GC is already as much futuristic as in my opinion possible. Second, kerbals should have something to do beside flying and science :wink:

Personally I don't see an issue with requiring Kerbals to construct.  Even a sophisticated robot would have trouble most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

More model stuff :)

 

ZhEkw86.png

I propose to name it Platypus! :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up needing those cantilevered boogies for the wheels otherwise it may be a bit nose heavy.  Everything will be model welded for GC except the wheels.  Which are the same diameter as the largest stock ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, allista said:

I propose to name it Platypus! :cool:

Perry The Platypus :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.