[1.12.x] TAC Self Destruct Continued

linuxgurugamer

On 4/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

What needs updating?

Last time I used it, it was only blowing up the section it was attached to, not the connected items. Not that it matters, since engine fairings are separated from both now. And you can't attach anything to a seperator.

6 hours ago, icecold951 said:

Last time I used it, it was only blowing up the section it was attached to, not the connected items. Not that it matters, since engine fairings are separated from both now. And you can't attach anything to a seperator.

Are you sure?  The part can be set to only blow up a single section or all connected items

16 hours ago, icecold951 said:

I usually use decouplers instead - but I can attach things just fine radially to them.  (And often attach one of these boxes.)  Fairings are a special case - they get deleted quickly, and don't need this mod.

But I have no issue with it blowing up an entire stage.

I did a quick test just to see - yes, these aren't really useful for separators.  Upon staging separators disconnect everything, even radially attached parts.  I hadn't noticed since I rarely use separators.

It's working better now than it did before. A couple months back, if you decoupled from a pair of tanks and an engine with a self destruct attacked, only one tank would be destroyed. Engine fairings do not despawn though. Not much we can do about that, other than keep the setting for total amount of junk low. I have ring of debris at 80k.

I'm careful about debris anymore. A couple years back, Jeb was doing an EVA to strut parts together, when I saw a cigar shaped shadow flash past. I didn't take a genius to know that was a close one. A month or whatever, I had a station actually take a strike. Got most of the crew into the two escape pods and saved. Jeb was saved by an emergency launch, before his TAC LS ran out. He was EVA at the time too.

So now I plan what altitudes I drop debris. 80k for Kerbal, and 100k for Mun and Minmus. Usually I try to dump the stage at a point where it would fall back. Same thing with nose cones over a docking port. Jettison them before I circularize, and it goes home. Self Destruct lets me dispose of it though, if I forget.

46 minutes ago, icecold951 said:

It's working better now than it did before. A couple months back, if you decoupled from a pair of tanks and an engine with a self destruct attacked, only one tank would be destroyed. Engine fairings do not despawn though. Not much we can do about that, other than keep the setting for total amount of junk low. I have ring of debris at 80k.

You might also be interested in Kessler Syndrome or Orbital Decay mods.  Kessler Syndrome actually helps quite a bit with this - at a cost.  It introduces a decay into the orbit of debris (in low orbit), so that they're eventually cleaned up.  That 'eventually' is important however - while they're there, there's a random chance for an impact to destroy a random piece off of your ship, if it's in a similar orbit.  Depending on the piece, that can be something which makes the mission a bit tougher, or completely strand you...

I'll admit I edited the settings in my save file for it, as I think the defaults are a bit punishing.  But it's worth a look:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It doesn't look like this mod has a feature to auto self destruct if the rocket's Angle-of-Attack goes past a set limit.  Is there a way to do this without changing the mod? 

I imagine it could be done with KOS, but there is probably a easier way.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

If anyone uses this and happens to read this message...

Considering this mod is fairly old, is it possible to add the Self Destruct bomb to cargo inventories? Would be super useful to do EVA cleanup nearby bases and the like.

yes, you should be able to do so, especially if you are using the KSP_PartVolume mod

Just saw this mod and kotabos review. Gonna try it out. Looks fun. 

Is it possible to fit these explosives on vessels and stations after launch using EVA-construction mode of stock KSP?

Edited by Rakete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.