Jump to content

[1.11.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Transport credits are an abstraction of the infrastructure required to handle the logistics of transportation, which is why they are paid by the source.  And you already do make different legs for Kerbin to the Mun.  Do a route from Kerbin to Kerbin Orbit.  Then the leg from Kerbin Orbit to Mun Orbit.  And then your last leg to the surface.   This is already how it works.

Really? Thanks for the reply. I will try it later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Best thing to do is log a github issue :)

will do, i was going to but there were so many open issues i didn't know if you looked at those. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eberkain said:

will do, i was going to but there were so many open issues i didn't know if you looked at those. 

Yeah, I cull through them periodically - and stuff gets buried in forum threads

Link to post
Share on other sites

More Konstruction Pre-Release testing/questions:

What's the indended mass limit for EVA construction with "Konstruction" enabled? I'm able to move (i.e. pick up and attach but not carry) around 0.35 tons so far in testing on Kerbin, is that about right?

Spoiler

HjHhpUA.jpg

Screenshot shows Konstruction mode enabled, but I can't move something the mass of a Mini-Hab on Kerbin, which seems a little low considering the Salamander is supposed to have equivalent Konstruction contributions to a PAL crane?  Are the inventory limits of the kerbals themselves supposed to change when this mode is enabled, so they can carry and move the parts?

Should I be trying this somewhere with weaker gravity? Is there something I'm missing to move larger / more massive things?

Edited by Kielm
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kielm said:

What's the indended mass limit for EVA construction with "Konstruction" enabled? I'm able to move (i.e. pick up and attach but not carry) around 0.35 tons so far in testing on Kerbin, is that about right?

I believe the fork-lift and other Konstruction parts should help to lift heavier objects.  (this may not be true until the stock system is integrated however)

I found that if you have an object that is too heavy for a kerbal to put into their pack, you can either drag and drop multiple times to get it to your destination, or you can pick it up after while you are holding down the forward key and so long as you hold down that key you can carry it with your mouse as far as you need to(but you can't use any other keys, so you can't really use the jet-pack)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I believe the fork-lift and other Konstruction parts should help to lift heavier objects.  (this may not be true until the stock system is integrated however)

I found that if you have an object that is too heavy for a kerbal to put into their pack, you can either drag and drop multiple times to get it to your destination, or you can pick it up after while you are holding down the forward key and so long as you hold down that key you can carry it with your mouse as far as you need to(but you can't use any other keys, so you can't really use the jet-pack)

That's my understanding, too - I'm using the pre-release, and the Salamander is supposed to have similar Konstruction contribution abilities to a PAL crane (for testing purposes) but even the drag & drop method doesn't work for when moving a Mini-Hab as you simply can't attach it to anything - see the message shown in the spoiler from my last post.

So either something's screwy with my setup, something's conflicting, or the mass limit is a tad low in the pre-release. KAS will let me move & attach parts of that mass provided I have sufficient kerbals (2) in the vicinity, but between this and the Konfabricator misbehaving I'm starting to get paranoid that I've botched something somewhere when I installed the pre-release :huh:

EDIT: 

Did some testing with the Konstruction abilities disabled, and it makes a little more sense.

  • The Konstruction pre-release increases the "moveable" mass limit for kerbals but not by much - I only tested on Kerbin, this effect may be amplified in lower gravity. 
    • Kerbals can move & attach heavier things, but it doesn't impact their inventory size - just their ability to lift and shift (drag and drop) heavier parts from one place to another.
    • I don't think there's any stacking effect from nearby cranes or anything like that (stacking up Salamanders didn't seem to make a difference). 

If it's gravity dependant then I'm a little more confident about using it to assemble bases on lower gravity worlds, otherwise there's going to be a lot of wobbly PAL crane construction involved - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but having the option to use the PAL crane or other konstruction parts to further increase the mass limit (à la KAS with more kerbals) would certainly be useful. 

Edited by Kielm
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kielm said:

That's my understanding, too - I'm using the pre-release, and the Salamander is supposed to have similar Konstruction contribution abilities to a PAL crane (for testing purposes) but even the drag & drop method doesn't work for when moving a Mini-Hab as you simply can't attach it to anything - see the message shown in the spoiler from my last post.

So either something's screwy with my setup, something's conflicting, or the mass limit is a tad low in the pre-release. KAS will let me move & attach parts of that mass provided I have sufficient kerbals (2) in the vicinity, but between this and the Konfabricator misbehaving I'm starting to get paranoid that I've botched something somewhere when I installed the pre-release :huh:

EDIT: 

Did some testing with the Konstruction abilities disabled, and it makes a little more sense.

  • The Konstruction pre-release increases the "moveable" mass limit for kerbals but not by much - I only tested on Kerbin, this effect may be amplified in lower gravity. 
    • Kerbals can move & attach heavier things, but it doesn't impact their inventory size - just their ability to lift and shift (drag and drop) heavier parts from one place to another.
    • I don't think there's any stacking effect from nearby cranes or anything like that (stacking up Salamanders didn't seem to make a difference). 

If it's gravity dependant then I'm a little more confident about using it to assemble bases on lower gravity worlds, otherwise there's going to be a lot of wobbly PAL crane construction involved - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but having the option to use the PAL crane or other konstruction parts to further increase the mass limit (à la KAS with more kerbals) would certainly be useful. 

It's definitely gravity dependent.  I'll be adding more amplifiers as part of the main release.

Link to post
Share on other sites

KSP 1.10 is stuck loading:

 

umbrella space industries/mks/parts/LightGlobe  MKS_LightGlobe

 

Is there a fix or a patch for this?

 

Also if I disable the part will my craft files load?

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kilo60 said:

KSP 1.10 is stuck loading:

 

umbrella space industries/mks/parts/LightGlobe  MKS_LightGlobe

 

Is there a fix or a patch for this?

 

Also if I disable the part will my craft files load?

 

Thanks!

Use 1.11, use the latest MKS release.  Problem solved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Use 1.11, use the latest MKS release.  Problem solved.

O.K.

 

Can I use it with game version 1.10?

 

I have other mods that aren't compatible with 1.11 yet...

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

O.K.

 

Can I use it with game version 1.10?

 

I have other mods that aren't compatible with 1.11 yet...

 

Thanks!

I used one of the new releases (1.4.1, I think) with 1.10 for a few days with no ill effects. It can't be the newer release that uses the stock inventory system, but I think that's on a separate branch on Github.

KoS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really love what you are doing with WOLF, and the new atlas parts are really cool.

I want to use water for fuel production, but my shore biome says 0 water, and I can't scan the ocean biome. I'm playing rss so that could be it. Could you tell me where you are pulling biome resource data from?

 

What's to stop somebody from rolling a rover between two biomes repeatedly? I've set up a massive transport route from the KSC to the shores biome just by backing off the runway.

 

How does one go about removing a module from wolf? Let's say I accidentally set up in the wrong biome, or I deleted an important part? Is there a way to get that ship back?

 

A your use of the lander cabin IVA was causing my KSP install to crash while loading, and a simple batch edit to remove those modules caused everything to work fine. Maybe make the lander ivas an extra MM patch?

 

EDIT: Is there a way to scale transport credit production for RSS? I cant just change the config file.

Edited by Mossconfig
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks I'm still alive, my computer is more or less back in action.

Since then I've been slightly distracted by happenings in a multiplayer game I play, and I kept telling myself I'd get back to the WOLF tutorial "tomorrow".

Expect to see more progress on the WOLF tutorial this weekend, first I'll finish the content of what's there, then I'll go back and start refining based on previous comments in this thread.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

I want to use water for fuel production, but my shore biome says 0 water, and I can't scan the ocean biome. I'm playing rss so that could be it. Could you tell me where you are pulling biome resource data from?

It's going to be random per save unless someone is putting in overrides, and I have no control over that.

33 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

What's to stop somebody from rolling a rover between two biomes repeatedly? I've set up a massive transport route from the KSC to the shores biome just by backing off the runway.

Nothing - you're using the system as designed.

33 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

How does one go about removing a module from wolf? Let's say I accidentally set up in the wrong biome, or I deleted an important part? Is there a way to get that ship back?

Gone like keys in lava.

33 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

A your use of the lander cabin IVA was causing my KSP install to crash while loading, and a simple batch edit to remove those modules caused everything to work fine. Maybe make the lander ivas an extra MM patch?

It's something else causing that, not me.  Works fine with stock.

34 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

EDIT: Is there a way to scale transport credit production for RSS? I cant just change the config file.

Not off the top of my head.  @DoktorKrogg may know something I do not though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

How does one go about removing a module from wolf? Let's say I accidentally set up in the wrong biome, or I deleted an important part? Is there a way to get that ship back?

When a vessel is removed from the game by WOLF, it no longer exists and has no linkage to the vessel that once was beyond the changes made to that WOLF biome.

As such, the only way to get such a vessel back is to load a save game before it was merged into wolf.

32 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

EDIT: Is there a way to scale transport credit production for RSS? I cant just change the config file.

Transport credits are based on the mass loss from origin to destination.

So it automatically scales based on what was used/discarded.

Yes this means it takes a lot more resources to set up a earth-> LEO route, but that is just because it takes a lot of resources to do that in RSS 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

EDIT: Is there a way to scale transport credit production for RSS? I cant just change the config file.

No, in current release there is no way, it's hardcoded, i'll do a pull-request to implement such a setting (as soon as other pull requests i'm working on are done)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Transport credits are based on the mass loss from origin to destination.

So it automatically scales based on what was used/discarded.

Yes this means it takes a lot more resources to set up a earth-> LEO route, but that is just because it takes a lot of resources to do that in RSS 

Yeah, but I don't want to loft 10x the material extractors. That makes for boring gameplay. I either want to lower the Tcredit cost or increase the Tcredit production per material.

2 minutes ago, TheSuMa said:

No, in current release there is no way, it's hardcoded, i'll do a pull-request to implement such a setting (as soon as other pull requests i'm working on are done)

thanks! Should I make one to remind you or are you good?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

Yeah, but I don't want to loft 10x the material extractors. That makes for boring gameplay. I either want to lower the Tcredit cost or increase the Tcredit production per material

I don’t play RSS, but refueling in LEO will reduce the transport credits requirements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

Yeah, but I don't want to loft 10x the material extractors. That makes for boring gameplay. I either want to lower the Tcredit cost or increase the Tcredit production per material.

That's kinda what you sign up for with RSS...  I thought that was the point ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesonKerbal said:

Expect to see more progress on the WOLF tutorial this weekend, first I'll finish the content of what's there, then I'll go back and start refining based on previous comments in this thread.

Great and thanks for giving it a go.  I have edited the wiki directly and tried to leave edit comments whenever I did so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...