[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

No, it's not as far as I know. I just had a look and when I submitted the PR to add Rock outputs I forgot to add the :NEEDS[ART] MM clause (oops, my bad). I'll get round to it one day.

Also, that feature was released in April. I'm surprised it's not been mentioned more.

To check if MM recognises [ART], do the drills have an option to mine Rock directly when you're not using ART (since I added the clause there)?

The editor/VAB description tells me that, yes. Also all logistics containers can contain Rock, untested in field yet.

I'm very relieved this resource is added by mistake (sorta) without having ART.

1 minute ago, LatiMacciato said:

The editor/VAB description tells me that, yes.

That's odd. [ART] is a valid MM title for the mod, so the option to mine Rock directly shouldn't be there if the module is followed by :NEEDS[ART]. I'll try shifting it out of the main cfg and into a patch.

51 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

That's odd. [ART] is a valid MM title for the mod, so the option to mine Rock directly shouldn't be there if the module is followed by :NEEDS[ART]. I'll try shifting it out of the main cfg and into a patch.

possibly all MKS parts that outputting Rock might need that hook too. (eg. Tundra Refinery, etc)
What me surprized was to see even the Nuclear Fuel Plant outputs Rock LOL

EDIT: Wait .. I just checked .. the drills don't say Rock as output!!
Does it mean that I will get Rock from asteroids and/or capable parts anyways?

I start to believe that I can ignore that resource unless I wish to get extra-funds unless I install/use ART. Is that correct?

Edited by LatiMacciato

1 hour ago, LatiMacciato said:

possibly all MKS parts that outputting Rock might need that hook too. (eg. Tundra Refinery, etc)
What me surprized was to see even the Nuclear Fuel Plant outputs Rock LOL

EDIT: Wait .. I just checked .. the drills don't say Rock as output!!
Does it mean that I will get Rock from asteroids and/or capable parts anyways?

I start to believe that I can ignore that resource unless I wish to get extra-funds unless I install/use ART. Is that correct?

The NFP outputs large quantities of Rock as a waste product from refining the uraninite, as only a tiny fraction of the ore is actually uranium. I don't know about asteroids, as I didn't specifically set up a cfg for that (use the jaw for roid rock mining). Rock is indeed useless unless you use ART, in which case it is used as fuel (reaction mass) for mass drivers and low-efficiency refining into Ka, water, minerals and a couple of other bits. I thought it was a little silly that you had to go and grab roids going on a megatonne to get rock, when the space program is literally built on top of the stuff.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The NFP outputs large quantities of Rock as a waste product from refining the uraninite, as only a tiny fraction of the ore is actually uranium. I don't know about asteroids, as I didn't specifically set up a cfg for that (use the jaw for roid rock mining). Rock is indeed useless unless you use ART, in which case it is used as fuel (reaction mass) for mass drivers and low-efficiency refining into Ka, water, minerals and a couple of other bits. I thought it was a little silly that you had to go and grab roids going on a megatonne to get rock, when the space program is literally built on top of the stuff.

ty for clearance, I'm testing the Rock output of an astro without having ART. Yes that 'roids massively grow is 1 point why I prefer @allista's Hangar which also saves ALOT parts! Instead of having 16 parts I have 1 now.

2 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

ty for clearance, I'm testing the Rock output of an astro without having ART. Yes that 'roids massively grow is 1 point why I prefer @allista's Hangar which also saves ALOT parts! Instead of having 16 parts I have 1 now.

Ok, changes are in a PR. Come next update you shouldn't see Rock outputs any more unless you have ART.

A minor comment on the Rock discussion: Technically, the Konstruction parts use Rock as well.  It's the 'ballast' resource for the counterweights.  They can be auto-filled though.  (And I'm not sure whether needing a drill to fill them would make sense or not.)

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

A minor comment on the Rock discussion: Technically, the Konstruction parts use Rock as well.  It's the 'ballast' resource for the counterweights.  They can be auto-filled though.  (And I'm not sure whether needing a drill to fill them would make sense or not.)

You can just click a button on the counterweight to fill and empty it, even in space. You can use it a Rock container (since it's earlier in the tech tree than the ART ones), if you wish.

On 8/29/2017 at 2:24 PM, voicey99 said:

Rock is indeed useless unless you use ART, in which case it is used as fuel (reaction mass) for mass drivers and low-efficiency refining into Ka, water, minerals and a couple of other bits.

Ok, so rock can be used as reaction mass

On 8/30/2017 at 9:19 AM, voicey99 said:

You can just click a button on the counterweight to fill and empty it, even in space. You can use it a Rock container (since it's earlier in the tech tree than the ART ones), if you wish.

And rock can be had for free even in space.

Infinite dv!

I may need to check out how well a mass driver/counterweight powered engine works...

1 minute ago, Terwin said:

Ok, so rock can be used as reaction mass

And rock can be had for free even in space.

Infinite dv!

I may need to check out how well a mass driver/counterweight powered engine works...

The mass drivers are stupidly overpowered. IMO if you install MKS with all its new ways to get rock then it would nerf the ISP for balance.

I've mentioned the infinite rock exploit several times and opened a bug report, but RD never has fixed it.

28 minutes ago, wenth said:

@RoverDude cant seem to get the tundra assembly plant to work iv got a pdu on it (tundra power distribution unit) as well as a logistics unit iv turned on the pdu but it keeps telling me there is not PDU in range. any suggestions?

I would suggest that you help others out by posting your version of KSP and MKS, and links to pictures of your base and to your game logs.  if you're unsure how to do this, upload your pics/logs to Dropbox, Google Drive, Imgur or something similar, and then post links here.  Don't post your log directly (it's often too big and can screw with those reading the thread on mobile devices).

Do yourself a big favour and, If you haven't already done so, read this thread for more guidance:

Providing this information when you ask your question encourages people to have a look and is essential to diagnosing your problem.  Without these, there is little hope for assistance because people can't mind-read and understand your particular setup, versions, and base/vehicle construction.

36 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I would suggest that you help others out by posting your version of KSP and MKS, and links to pictures of your base and to your game logs.  if you're unsure how to do this, upload your pics/logs to Dropbox, Google Drive, Imgur or something similar, and then post links here.  Don't post your log directly (it's often too big and can screw with those reading the thread on mobile devices).

Do yourself a big favour and, If you haven't already done so, read this thread for more guidance:

Providing this information when you ask your question encourages people to have a look and is essential to diagnosing your problem.  Without these, there is little hope for assistance because people can't mind-read and understand your particular setup, versions, and base/vehicle construction.

asking if iv missed any thing glaring. not for trouble shooting advice. nothing strikes me as not working just me being a dope and not figuring things out even with a billion guides at hand.

2 hours ago, wenth said:

asking if iv missed any thing glaring. not for trouble shooting advice. nothing strikes me as not working just me being a dope and not figuring things out even with a billion guides at hand.

People can't figure out what might be glaring without seeing what you're seeing.:wink:  You didn't really supply enough info for someone to help other than shotgunning a bunch of idea.  Your helping to narrow the issue down is important.

1 hour ago, wenth said:

Holy....never mind...I think.....i finally got it.....after a month of messing around with it...

Excellent, although I'm sorry it took you so long.  Perhaps passing on your discovery will help others - what do you end up doing?

Is there still a known issue with kolonist hiring costs?  I see that the fix for bug #1297 has been merged, but with MKS v0.52.2.0 (latest version), I'm still getting the same hiring cost for all kerbal types, core and kolonist.  Also, the cost doesn't match the settings: I have "alternate core kerbonaut costs" turned on with a cost of 50k, and "alternate kolonist costs" turned on with a cost of 1000, but the cost shown for all kerbal types in the AC is 75k.

Possibly related: I have "customized kerbonauts" turned off, but if I turn it on, adjust the courage/stupidity sliders in the AC, and then turn "customized kerbonauts" off again, the cost in the AC still reflects the modified courage/stupidity values even though those settings are no longer shown.  Quitting and restarting KSP puts the cost back to its default when "customized kerbonauts" is turned off.  Looks like something isn't being reinitialized as it should when that setting is toggled from on to off.

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Wyzard - log an issue, I'm culling through the logs over the remainder of the holiday weekend.

I put in two issues: #1324 for kolonists not getting their hiring discount, and #1325 for the hiring cost being affected by invisible courage/stupidity sliders when "customized kerbonauts" is turned off.

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I want to know if this mod gives missions to doon the surface

No, it doesn't. You want Bases and Stations for that.

E: Well, it doesn't specifically support MKS per se-it actually supports USI-LS and generic base contracts.

Edited by voicey99