What seemingly basic thing have you never done in KSP

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

I'd do it with a gravity assist from Eve. That way you only lost around 600m/s and Eve does the rest of the work. (I don't know; I've only just begun with interplanetary exploration)

Never landed a craft at the KSC after reentering. I came close, but only twice or so in over 25 flights.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

Never landed a craft at the KSC after reentering. I came close, but only twice or so in over 25 flights.

Oh this is something I think is great, easy peasy in stock too.   Assuming LKO, As you close back on KSC Africa looking shapes coast, get your orbital velocity down to 1900, which puts your trajectory line in the middle of the ocean past KSC, as you approach keep making half the arc of the line from your craft to ksc and from ksc to impact the same length. If you have the fuel to do it drop your velocity to 1500 just as you pass directly over the mountains.  I get more accurate landings than mechjeb for less fuel doing this.  Just a little maneuvering and open chutes over the runway.  100% funds back to make early career mode earning a lot better. 

19 hours ago, eddiew said:

Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever gotten into low solar orbit...

You can? everything I've ever tried burned up before getting there.  Even worse in RSS.  No Temperature report in space near Kerbol for me. Never mind redonkulous dV needed.

Heat shields, Active cooling and all that.  Think Manley has a video though. probably ancient.

20 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

You can? everything I've ever tried burned up before getting there.  Even worse in RSS.  No Temperature report in space near Kerbol for me. Never mind redonkulous dV needed.

Heat shields, Active cooling and all that.  Think Manley has a video though. probably ancient.

I would probably start with a gravity assist from either Eve or Jool to drag the solar PE down. The heat is an issue, but I envisage a 3.75m heatshield with a ton of radiators on the back side. Might work :)

Edited by eddiew

Never got a Kerbal back from Duna. I've done round trips to Moho, Laythe, Tylo, Eeloo, even Ike, but Duna's been a bit of a blind spot. It does have ways to catch out the unwary, but mainly it's just that I only ever attempted Duna in no-reverts saves. Once broke up on parachute opening, once slammed into surface and once safely landed a Kerballed rover but then wrecked it in an 85 mile-an-hour rollover.

Never built a spaceplane in stock aero in any KSP version, but I have built them in FAR. I actually feel a bit lost without FAR's analysis tools.

Never played Galileo's Planet Pack. Installed but never visited Outer Planets Mod.

I'm basically NASA. I've never gone out of Kerbin's SOI except the time I tried to make a base fly to Duna. Emphasis in 'try'. I crashed my Scout SSTO and the base landed about 50 km away from the planned landing site. (The SSTO "picked" (Read: Crashed) in some plains, and the base landed at the edge of the North Pole.). 

I've never landed Kerbals in an intact craft on Eve.  I tried once back in .24 or so, but the lander complex (A lab, hitchhiker container and a bunch of other stuff under a Command Pod) had some problems with landing.  I had a quicksave, but every time I loaded it the parachutes immediately detached from the craft and sent it to it's doom.  Eventually I left them stuck with just the Pod on the surface.

Since 1.0, I've had, well, issues with the 'Send Kerbals to Eve with no return provision' concept.  And computer processor restrictions have prevented Eve Ascent rockets.

Never sent any craft to places other then Duna, Eve, Gilly,  Moho, Jool and its hard to miss encounters of its moons and Eeloo. Only have done manned missions to Laythe. Duna, Eve, Gilly, and Kerbol (sun) for outside of Kerbin's SOI.

Eve/Gilly is a great place for a first interplanetary trip. It's fun to drop a few probes down on Eve, and then proceeding to Gilly with lightweight crewed landers.

I've never actually landed a kerbal on Eve though (in career). I just can't settle on a vehicle design that I'd like.

On 05/03/2017 at 9:07 PM, eddiew said:

I would probably start with a gravity assist from either Eve or Jool to drag the solar PE down. The heat is an issue, but I envisage a 3.75m heatshield with a ton of radiators on the back side. Might work :)

@Bornholio 

if you've got the patience a bi elliptic transfer is the most efficient way to get down there (without gravity assists). I aim for beyond Jool orbit, then the retrograde burn is about 1,000m/s for solar impact. But it takes a long, long time! Like Eeloo orbit time! 

dam8HAI.jpg

This ship has made it and survived with no cheats (it's sister ship (impactor) blew up just above the sun, I cheated that one in, just to see what it looked like in there) General rules, no solar panels (they'll explode, so RTGs) heat shield has to be facing sun (so target radial) put as many radiators as your power will allow. Load it with no max temp on so you can orientate before it blows up!

On 2/23/2017 at 7:38 PM, regex said:

I pretty much ... loathe Laythe because of all the smug speisplain stuff in the early access days

Speisplain stuff? Care to elaborate? Im not going to defend anyone saying that its realistic, but I think it was good to include it for gameplay reasons.

*Edit* ah I get it, its a mockery of space plane. Yes, space planes are OPd, and were extremely OP pre-1.0 when Isp could reach 40,000 and one could airhog all the way to orbit

Edited by KerikBalm

I don't think I've ever landed a plane successfully. ( When I say successfully, I'm setting the bar higher than just the Kerbal survived. )  I either get close to where I want to land, slow down and deploy chutes, or I try to land and end up blowing up wings and/or engines.

I enjoy building planes, and I enjoy flying them. I've just never taken the time to work out how to land them. I'm thinking of starting a career where all missions are done with planes. maybe that will force me to figure out the whole landing thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.