Ellegon

Solved: Why does my rocket not liftoff?

HvP    445
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Did this just become a thread of "What is the worst blunder you have achieved?

Consider it more of a "don't feel bad because every KSP player makes these rookie mistakes eventually" thread.

Edited by HvP

Vanamonde    6244

Since this is no longer a tech support thread, it has been moved to General Discussions. 

Piper    34
On 04/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, LN400 said:

You must wait until you staged the parachute together with the main engine before you can get the KSP Badge. I wear mine with pride, together with the Mount Decoupler The Wrong Way Medal.

Related is also the "place heatshield on wrong side of decoupler".

Or one of my most memorable mix-ups, accidently place your "toggle solar panels" hot-key with the stage command instead of the number 1 key.  Took me forever (and multiple launches) to figure out why my solar panels where tearing off the moment I launched.

I did all of those.

Several times.

Then there is those other ones.

The ones I thought I would never do cause it's so lame.

Rendez-vous ing somewhere and then docking something like 5 times in a row going what :confused::huh::mad: the whole time.

To finally realise that they are two different docking ports :0.0::blush:.

And I also did put the senior docking port backward.....No docky.

ME

TopHeavy11    546

A good rule of thumb for launching rockets is z, t, SPACE!

Red Iron Crown    12089
1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

My routine is T, Z, CapsLock, Space.

Numerlor    261
6 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

My routine is T, Z, CapsLock, Space.

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Why don't you set your Default throttle in prelaunch to 100%

Red Iron Crown    12089
2 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Why don't you set your Default throttle in prelaunch to 100%

Because I have years of muscle memory built up around it.

monstah    2233

Heh, I do the opposite. X, space bar (engines), slowly shift up, then space bar (launch clamps). I don't play RO, it's just for the kicks :wink:

suicidejunkie    267

I've got a matching pair of Absentminded Rescue Mission Returning With The Seat Empty Commemorative Coins.

And we can't forget the Recursive Rescue Mission Triple Crown.

Fenris    37
On 4/22/2017 at 6:04 PM, LN400 said:

You must wait until you staged the parachute together with the main engine before you can get the KSP Badge. I wear mine with pride, together with the Mount Decoupler The Wrong Way Medal.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:25 PM, GoSlash27 said:

Don't forget the "forgot to deploy the solar panels and ran out of power" merit badge :D

-Slashy

On 4/22/2017 at 6:30 PM, HvP said:

And of course, releasing the launch clamps without starting the engines. We've all done it. *sad trombone*

On 4/22/2017 at 6:43 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

In addition to these, I also have the "Jet-powered Craft with No Intakes" certificate of achievement.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:19 PM, Alshain said:

Then there is the "Jebediah, get the heck out of my unmanned rescue craft!" achievement.

I must be a pro ... I've done all of these .... more than once. And a few others as well, having astronauts stranded in solar orbit with no fuel springs to mind.

XrayLima    27

All of the above!

And in my case....

"Went and landed perfectly on Duna, forgot to include ladders...."

"Forgot to switch on symmetry when adding landing legs.  Only noticed during decent towards Mun"

"Launching with control probe core upside-down"

The prior one is particularly interesting if using Mechjeb for ascent...

Doh.

Spricigo    440

Symmetricral Systematic Assymetric Symbol of Excelence in Design (for mixing raidal and lateral symmetry modes)

Unmanned Craft Without an Antenna, since pre-1.2 design habits are hard to shake.

Along the same lines, Forgot About Munar Signal Occlusion.

JoeNapalm    505

I've got some great pics of Eve from my first attempt to land on Duna. :blush:

-Jn-

joacobanfield    237

I...I...

I went to Eve and forgot the ladders. Also, I GROSSLY underestimated Jool's atmosphere, error which was swiftly punished by the Hell Kraken.

qzgy    1758

My most recent one was "Forget to put crew in and lose control in a shuttle with little to no battery life" Ended up spinning, since that's how the controls were when the EC went to zero.

swjr-swis    1454

Launching a close-to-finished rocket or spaceplane, wondering why engines are sputtering at staging, reverting, checking all fuel lines/crossfeeds but not finding any reason why it should not work, replacing all engines just in case cause it might be some 'weird bug', tear my hair out as it still fails after several reverts and checks.......

..finally remembering I had emptied all tanks to check CoM position when empty. :blush: Sigh.

suicidejunkie    267

One should always remember to raise the landing gear on your spaceplane by the time you have reached 40km altitude or mach 4, whichever comes first.

Spricigo    440
1 hour ago, suicidejunkie said:

One should always remember to raise the landing gear on your spaceplane by the time you have reached 40km altitude or mach 4, whichever comes first.

Incidentally at 40km it can probably stay deployed anyway. If nothing else to avoid landing with raised landing gear 

Archgeek    320

I had a nice 2-kerbal Eve lander, with all the delta-v needed for the climb out of Eve's grip, and a little extra TWR, just in case.  It even turned out to be a perfectly capable Duna mission vessel in its first test flight.

After landing on Eve, I learned two things:

1. @Whackjob's heavy landing leg design lacks the modular girder to 1.25m adapter parts I put on the ends for a reason (very weak joint)
  2. A nice solid 1.8 TWR on Kerbin is around .95 or on Eve.  ...I'd had KER set to Kerbin instead of Eve at design-time.

Mission post-mortem indicated uprating two of the first-stage skippers to mainsails would've made it viable.  A rescue craft was in design, but the whole timeline got shunted to Project Bring'em Home by the release of 1.0.