SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

It looks like a flying rowboat...Seems Mr. Steven has to pull some fancy maneuvering to catch the thing.

Missed it by *that* much... 

No wonder they’ve been having so much trouble, that looks painfully difficult to pull off. Love finally seeing the sense of scale between the fairing and the net. 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BF Hopper, now BF Crane... why do I foresee a BF Gift Shop selling BF Tchotchkes and the BF Snack Bar with BF Pretzels and BF Cheese?

Tho that BF Flamethrower should be real impressive. :D

And where the Big Falcon did my BF Cursor just go??

BFH the tea towel! BFH the movie!

And always remember to drink a brew from Mr Coffee whilst watching Mr BFH.

Yeah, I made a right spaceballs-up of that joke...

And moving this post back on topic - cheers for posting the fairing drop-catch test! Until the very last moment, that looked more like the opening credits from a movie than real life. Kept expecting to see the camera zoom in to see 007 sitting calmly in the fairing half.

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BF Hopper, now BF Crane... why do I foresee a BF Gift Shop selling BF Tchotchkes and the BF Snack Bar with BF Pretzels and BF Cheese?

Tho that BF Flamethrower should be real impressive. :D

And where the Big Falcon did my BF Cursor just go??

"Starcrane" just doesn't sound right...

9 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

"Starcrane" just doesn't sound right...

Musk said all future things (spacecraft, only, I suppose) have star or link in them. Cranelink? Cranestar? Linkcrane? They need to dump that and go to Culture stuff.

Medium Lifting Unit (then the individual unit's name): MLU I saw what you did there

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Guysguysguysguysguysguys.... :o

about flarping time!

What do they not like about salt water so much that they go through these motions? I understand engines, but this is a mere fairing. If the SRBs could do it...

2 minutes ago, DDE said:

What do they not like about salt water so much that they go through these motions? I understand engines, but this is a mere fairing. If the SRBs could do it...

The issue is that the SRBs were recycled, but it probably cost more to reuse them than it would have cost to throw them away (that's pretty much the entire story of the Shuttle program). I've seen claims that reuse actually cost 2-3X more than expending them.

10 hours ago, KSK said:

heers for posting the fairing drop-catch test! Until the very last moment, that looked more like the opening credits from a movie than real life. Kept expecting to see the camera zoom in to see 007 sitting calmly in the fairing half.

A few seconds of googling tells me the payload fairing is deployed at 110-140km altitude.  If SpaceX are launching a lighter payload, I wonder if they could strap some (suitably-space-suited) passengers inside the fairing for the ride of their lives.  If Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin are selling tickets for a suborbital hop, SpaceX might as well also! :P

9 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

A few seconds of googling tells me the payload fairing is deployed at 110-140km altitude.  If SpaceX are launching a lighter payload, I wonder if they could strap some (suitably-space-suited) passengers inside the fairing for the ride of their lives.  If Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin are selling tickets for a suborbital hop, SpaceX might as well also! :P

A dense "package" may badly offset the CoM on those fairings, leading to tumbling, unpredictable trajectory, and either huge g-loads on the passengers, or the passengers reentering face-first and getting badly burned.

19 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

"But Mr. Musk, it worked in Kerbal Space Program!"

44 minutes ago, DDE said:

A dense "package" may badly offset the CoM on those fairings, leading to tumbling, unpredictable trajectory, and either huge g-loads on the passengers, or the passengers reentering face-first and getting badly burned.

Ahhh -  (with apologies to Douglas Adams) what they need is the Joojanta 500, Super-Chromatic, Peril Sensitive faceplate. At the first sign of danger it turns completely black, thus preventing the intrepid passengers from seeing anything that might alarm them. Optional feature - the blackness is caused by an intumescent fire-retardant material, which doubles as an ablative TPS.

33 minutes ago, DDE said:

Well, it's not NASA.

six_words.png

Love that one as its also from an real mission doing an Jupiter gravity assist for doing an close flyby of the sun in an polar orbit. 
Double Irony as I tend to just add more boosters in KSP use an Saturn 5 with SRB or better Soyuz boosters and asparagus staged nuclear to dial an dV

58 minutes ago, DDE said:

Well, it's not NASA.

six_words.png

The six words you always say at SpaceX.

Reddit managed to extract the source quality video of the faring  landing from upthread:

https://instagram.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/5b4287df16add23bb6c9c1408f86e2ae/5C36210F/t50.2886-16/49540057_2278882702384904_2769545171891650560_n.mp4?_nc_ht=instagram.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net