Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

 

Oh that's pretty.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Also, a Raptor has been removed from SN8 for some reason (sorry for small image, I screenshotted it from the LabPadre stream)

yu9HfwG.png

I wonder if they are removing two of the Raptors to do a static fire test fed from the LOX header tank, once the nose cone is attached. If something goes wrong they don't want to lose all three Raptors.

Or they may even remove all three Raptors just to pressure-test the header tank, for the same reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were smart they would have a way to get inside the white nosecone, and build in floors (whatever material that would support people), then stage it to look like some sort of interior to get a sense of the available volume.

Just now, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if they are removing two of the Raptors to do a static fire test fed from the LOX header tank, once the nose cone is attached. If something goes wrong they don't want to lose all three Raptors.

Or they may even remove all three Raptors just to pressure-test the header tank, for the same reason.

Excellent observation. I bet you are right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tater said:

If they were smart they would have a way to get inside the white nosecone, and build in floors (whatever material that would support people), then stage it to look like some sort of interior to get a sense of the available volume.

Who's to say they won't?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if they are removing two of the Raptors to do a static fire test fed from the LOX header tank, once the nose cone is attached. If something goes wrong they don't want to lose all three Raptors.

Possible. We'll just have to see what they do.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Or they may even remove all three Raptors just to pressure-test the header tank, for the same reason.

It looked to me like they did a pressure test on the nosecone header tank this morning alongside the RCS tests, as we saw what was definitely venting. It makes sense, they wouldn't want to install the nosecone only to find that the header tank doesn't hold pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Who's to say they won't?

They might. If they are smart or not and do so we will find out soon enough I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Possible. We'll just have to see what they do.

It looked to me like they did a pressure test on the nosecone header tank this morning alongside the RCS tests, as we saw what was definitely venting. It makes sense, they wouldn't want to install the nosecone only to find that the header tank doesn't hold pressure.

Ah, good point. Yeah, so it's more likely they only remove 2 engines and leave the third if they want to do a header-flow static fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Yeah, so it's more likely they only remove 2 engines and leave the third if they want to do a header-flow static fire.

I just thought about this - wouldn't they want to keep all 3 Raptors if they were doing a header tank static fire? Wouldn't they want to see how the plumbing handles 3 engines drawing propellant at once?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I just thought about this - wouldn't they want to keep all 3 Raptors if they were doing a header tank static fire? Wouldn't they want to see how the plumbing handles 3 engines drawing propellant at once?

My guess is that the plumbing from the header tank flows into a common entry point in the thrust puck plumbing along with the plumbing from the main tank, so testing one tests all of them.

However they may keep all three Raptors if they want to test the flow capabilities of the header tank.

For all I know they're just swapping this Raptor out for a different one for other reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

For all I know they're just swapping this Raptor out for a different one for other reasons.

Yeah, I guess. Looking at the LabPadre feed, we saw an engine come out and get lowered out of view, then another Raptor (or possibly the same one and they just removed it for inspection) went in a while later. I'm not sure why.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are not very long from seeing something that cannot help but be spectacular.

Either an epic proof of concept, or the most kerbal thing seen in real life since... a long time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

itshappening.gif

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

This could be one of those ultimately historic days that’ll never be remembered... the last sunset without a complete Starship in the world. :cool:

Yeah, I hope so, unless it RUDs

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

:maneuver:

Beautiful.

Even the airliner part? Wow.

Anyway, I can't help but cringe at that forced "mission control" pseudo-pun.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...