SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Wow, just wow, so much to say I find myself almost speechless. Congrats to Musk and his hard-working SpaceX team for pulling this off (so far). There's going to be no shortage of Starman screenshots and memes orbiting around the net, I'm sure. I'm partial to this screengrab myself.

ZToi4KE.png

So I get out of my staff meeting and hit the locker room to go home. I peek at my phone to see 200+replies to this thread and know that the big bird must be off the ground. I managed to catch a quick mute launch replay on an office pc before my ride was ready to go, then it was the 30 minute drive home of ignoring my phone, so I could hook up my laptop to the 50" TV and crank the sound bar to watch the whole thing. Totally worth the wait! I'll definitely be watching key parts many more times, I'm sure. E: Then I had to make myself wade through 10 pages of posts here before posting!

I'm sure the Starman suit must be loaded with sensors, Musk is not the type to waste an opportunity to do MOAR SCIENCE!! But I agree, the speedo needed to be pegged, perhaps at Ludicrous Speed. Maybe a "Plaid" spot on the speedo?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 minutes ago, HvP said:

It would have been nice to have a flawless 3 booster recovery, but not mission breaking, fortunately.

Apparently, 2 outer engines failed to reignite upon reentry, leaving too little thrust from the center engine and it splashed down beside the barge as required by its fail-safe programming.

Given the fact that there's no crossfeed on this one yet, I think the margin for the centre stage was pretty low. They only lowered the throttle then raise it up again after side separation.

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm sure the Starman suit must be loaded with sensors, Musk is not the type to waste an opportunity to do MOAR SCIENCE!! But I agree, the speedo needed to be pegged, perhaps at Ludicrous Speed. Maybe a "Plaid" spot on the speedo?

Elon said during the press conference that Starman is not scienced up. He said it's definitely a functioning pressure suit, though. I think that means you really shouldn't be hanging out in the Van Allen belts in that suit in a sports car, but that if your actual ship with radiation and thermal shielding depressurizes you should be ok for a little while.

1 minute ago, YNM said:

They only lowered the throttle then raise it up again after side separation.

I believe that happened when they hit max-q, so the throttle back could have been to increase efficiency during the high pressure phase. And the throttle up after separation likely due to no longer having the boosters' thrust, and now having a more streamlined cross-section with less drag.

I used to do the same thing back in the 0.90 souposphere days :wink:

1 minute ago, HvP said:

I believe that happened when they hit max-q, so the throttle back could have been to increase efficiency during the high pressure phase. And the throttle up after separation likely due to no longer having the boosters' thrust, and now having a more streamlined cross-section with less drag.

I used to do the same thing back in the 0.90 souposphere days :wink:

I don't think the initial throttle-back had anything to do with drag losses, and had everything to do with avoiding Rapid Unplanned Disassembly events.

Even Realism Overhaul doesn't really get structural concerns quite right, but Max Q puts a lot of strain on the structure.

6 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

I don't think the initial throttle-back had anything to do with drag losses, and had everything to do with avoiding Rapid Unplanned Disassembly events.

Even Realism Overhaul doesn't really get structural concerns quite right, but Max Q puts a lot of strain on the structure.

We all know that the answer to that is Moar Struts. But seriously, it's probably wise to consider actual real world material physics when flying three 16 story fuel tanks mounted on 27 engines through the atmosphere.

Edited by HvP

32 minutes ago, YNM said:

Given the fact that there's no crossfeed on this one yet, I think the margin for the centre stage was pretty low. They only lowered the throttle then raise it up again after side separation.

There was crossfeed. They mentioned it in the beginning of the webcast. 

@Starman4308

Perfect name. Are you the mannequin in space posting to this site??? 

5be.gif

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Crossfeed was abandoned long ago as not worth the engineering effort. Or core burnout would have been much later

27 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Elon said during the press conference that Starman is not scienced up. He said it's definitely a functioning pressure suit, though. I think that means you really shouldn't be hanging out in the Van Allen belts in that suit in a sports car, but that if your actual ship with radiation and thermal shielding depressurizes you should be ok for a little while.

Really? Kinda disappointing if there's not even basic suit telemetry to see how it performs.

10 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

If there was, they're either dumping a core tank full of propellant or they wouldn't even bother getting the core stage.

This launch isn't the most efficient they can have. Another car would still fit in the propellant allotment.

Edited by YNM

17 minutes ago, cubinator said:

S2 has been firing its maneuvering thrusters. It should be past apogee by now if it's on a 6-hour orbit.

The car appears to have gone out to apogee twice now, and made one nightside pass. I presume that it will do the TMI burn during the upcoming second nightside pass.

The interruptions of the Starman's stream became much less annoying when I realized they're probably caused either by the battery running down or by the Van Allen belts.

Anyone know what route the signal is taking from the car to the web? It must be going through some ground stations to SpaceX's servers, but do they have to go through other satellites first to get full coverage?

49 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Wow, just wow, so much to say I find myself almost speechless. Congrats to Musk and his hard-working SpaceX team for pulling this off (so far). There's going to be no shortage of Starman screenshots and memes orbiting around the net, I'm sure. I'm partial to this screengrab myself.

ZToi4KE.png

Yeah, the Aussies have had a good view of their homeland over the past 1/2 hour or so.

This was truly a historic launch. Amazing views. I've lost it when Starman appeared. :D

Does anyone know any orbit properties of this thing? Maybe someone will be able to spot it in the sky in the next few hours? At least with a telescope. It should be moving rather slowly across the sky unless of course it's at perigee.