KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

KSP 2 is coming soon. Are you planning to make a new mod for a new game? Yes, the same Daedalus will be there. But I'm not sure what will be of scientific accuracy, as you have.

Edited by OOM

7 hours ago, OOM said:

KSP 2 is coming soon. Are you planning to make a new mod for a new game? Yes, the same Daedalus will be there. But I'm not sure what will be of scientific accuracy, as you have.

I don't think this is a reasonable question until after release. Probably a significant time after release for many mod authors. Typically it depends on the difficulty of porting/re-building and the audience that plays the new game. There's a big audience for KSP1, and it took a long time to build. KSP2 won't have that at launch.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, OOM said:

I will probably not rebuild interstellar entirely because KSP 2 will largely fullfill that role but I do intend to add functionality that KSP 2 is missing like like Beamed power, forgotten engines like Discovery MCF Fusion, Bussard Ramjet and scifi devices like the Alcubiere Warp Drive, which are are now part of KSPIE. I also notice KSP didn't mention any Power Reactors  but they going to have to add them if they intend to power those features electric engines.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...

Hello probably about KSP2 or even for current KSPI, I dont sure if was planned real obstacles:

1 grain of sand, once per hour
                debris with the size of small pia, once a month

Basically a real-ship need some kind of armor to do the Journey, or use a radar with laser beams to target some debris.

Do you already have something like this @FreeThinker ? ;)

Edited by pmborg

14 hours ago, pmborg said:

Hello probably about KSP2 or even for current KSPI, I dont sure if was planned real obstacles:

1 grain of sand, once per hour
                debris with the size of small pia, once a month

Basically a real-ship need some kind of armor to do the Journey, or use a radar with laser beams to target some debris.

Do you already have something like this @FreeThinker ? ;)

Well the Magnetic Nozzle with magnetic field dissabled and laser at maximum power would effectively be the same

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the Magnetic Nozzle with magnetic field dissabled and laser at maximum power would effectively be the same

That might be a solution to big objects, but for dust something like this might be needed:

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Next release should make the Solar Power significantly easier with integrated radiator on the back side of the mirror surface

Awesome,  now I just need a means for paying for all this equipment, and shipping it down to the sun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 8:59 PM, TheRag said:

Awesome,  now I just need a means for paying for all this equipment, and shipping it down to the sun.

The cheapest method would be to put an high isp electric engine at the center of mass burn retrograte untill you at Mercury and then use a solar sail to get into a low solar orbit

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to get the old Solar Sail Navigator mod working with KSPI-E?

I tried it on its own with the original PersistantThrust mod without issue despite how outdated they are, but when pairing solar sail navigator with KSPI-E the game does not load.

Errors the log is throwing:

[WRN 23:52:21.418] The script 'SolarSailNavigator.Navigator' could not be instantiated!
[EXC 23:52:21.431] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartModuleList..ctor (Part part) (at <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0)
	Part.Awake () (at <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0)
	UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)
	PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
	PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
	<CompileParts>d__56:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)
[EXC 23:54:06.808] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () (at <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0)
	Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () (at <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0)
	Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () (at <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)

Link to Solar Sail Navigator:

If necessary, I might consider poking around at the sourcecode of solar navigator. Having a way to plot constant-thrust trajectories is incredibly useful and fun.

*Edit

I realize now this might belong in the development thread rather than here. If requested I'll go ahead and move it. :kiss:

*Edit again

I've looked through SolarSailNavigator's sourcecode now. It was very dependent on the way the original PersistantThrust mod works, and the version integrated with KSPIE is pretty different. I've begun to work on a hotfix, but I've gotten about as far as I think I can for now.  There's a few functions in ModuleEnginesWarp and ModuleSolarSail that have been changed to private-- such as calculateSolarForce(). As far as I'm aware, I don't believe fixing SSN will be possible without tweaking the way persistent thrust currently works in KSPIE

Here's the git repo

Edited by nubeees
One last update for this post

On 11/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, nubeees said:

There's a few functions in ModuleEnginesWarp and ModuleSolarSail that have been changed to private-- such as calculateSolarForce(). As far as I'm aware, I don't believe fixing SSN will be possible without tweaking the way persistent thrust currently works in KSPIE

While that may be just one of many issues, private methods are not a true barrier to use. Reflection allows you to use whatever methods you want, it's not even that hard once you know they're there (i.e. have the source code). There's no way in a distributed assembly to make a method "impossible" to call, really. Private elements are more guidelines than rules.

2 hours ago, whitespacekilla said:

While that may be just one of many issues, private methods are not a true barrier to use. Reflection allows you to use whatever methods you want, it's not even that hard once you know they're there (i.e. have the source code). There's no way in a distributed assembly to make a method "impossible" to call, really. Private elements are more guidelines than rules.

I've never learned about reflection before. Originally I planned on just creating a fork of KSPI-E and altering it as necessary to make it compatible with Solar Sail Navigator, but looks like I'll have to look into that. 

Haven't had time to work on this recently though, I've had a particularly awful set of deadlines to worry about.

*edit

Did some basic google searches. That's pretty cool!

Edited by nubeees

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find an equivalent to this field:

public ModuleEngines engine;

I need it to rewrite this line of code:

pe.ThrustPersistent = control.throttle * pe.engine.maxThrust;

pe is a ModuleEnginesWarp, so I can set its throttle through reflection. I cannot get the maxThrust value though.

Is there an equivalent I'm just not finding?

Thanks!

*Edit

There was a stupid question here. I didn't realize ModuleEnginesWarp inherited from ModuleEngines

**Edit 2

Ended up solving that; not sure how to handle this however:

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State	Suppression State
Error	CS0122	'ModuleSolarSail' is inaccessible due to its protection level	SolarSailNavigatorHotfix	D:\Games\KSP_win64\AddonDev\SolarSailNavigator_KSPIE_HotFix\SolarSailNavigator\SolarSailNavigatorHotfix\Navigator.cs	107		Active

ModuleSolarSail doesn't appear to be 'internal' in the sourcecode on gitHub, but when I go to definition it shows as internal :/

Edited by nubeees
Went ahead and removed previous stupid question

• 4 weeks later...

Next Release will introduce 3 new Aluminium Engines and modify the existing Aluminium Hybrid Rocket engine and Add Aluminium as thermal/electric Propellant

Name Isp Thrust Mass Special  
Aluminium Hybrid Engine 275 1000 kN 5 t Includes 1000 L Aluminium and 6000 L LqdOxygen, cannot be restart  during flight  
Aluminium Liquid Metal Injection Engine 290 1500 kN 5 t Requires 300 MW and has 1 second acceleration delay  
Aluminium Monopropellant Engine 285 1000 kN 4 t Instead of Aluminium and LqdOxygen, Uses AluLOx  as a monopropellant, has overheating issues  
Aluminium Pneumatic Fuel Feed Engine 313 - 333 1000 kN 4 t Requires 2% Gas provided by LqdHydrogen, LqdHelium, LqdMethane or LqdNitrogen fuel tank  
Thermal Launch Nozzle (in Aluminium LOx mode) 400 .. 5 t Requires High Amount of Thermal Power provide by Thermal reactor or Thermal receiver  

any suggestion are welcome

Edited by FreeThinker

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed there are upgrades for the Daedalus engine available before the engine itself is available. Is this intended?

Edit: I've realized this isn't the right thread for this question. Disregard.

Edited by Sahadara

• 2 weeks later...

Long time not see :P

First I want to say that New UI of Propellant selection are really great to use, I really appreciate it :wink:

And also Gen come with Variable installed capacity also very useful for build light weight craft. 

Edited by Sweetie bot
Opps I surpost to put that bug report torpic to Support Thread, but here we go

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GrimT said:

Has anyone made a proper ISRU guide for this yet? I cant seem to find a thing on how to convert resources into LFO.  Is it even possible with Interstellar extended?

kspie doesn't have a way to convert resources into LFO as stock liquid fuel and oxidizer are of unknown composition (i've heard people say it's Liquid H2, kerosene, cyclohexane, etc). stock mechanic of mining ore and converting using stock isru will provide you with LFO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.