KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, Profit- said:

Yeah if you are not careful (or are extra careful?)  and your craft has a heat shield you can reach the escape velocity of the solar system 

I'm using RSS, but I still managed to escape Earth:

Plasma engine is badass.

Well I have this small AM plant in orbit http://postimg.org/image/or3l66ryx/

It has 36 collectors and according to my calculations it should collect/produce 143,28 milligrams per day (3.98 mg per collector x 36, perfect orbit etc.), so 1000 milligrams (1 gram) should be collected in 6,97934 (more decimal numbers) days, roughly a week... not even close! I time warped 50 days and got about 587 milligrams... something is very wrong! Or am I just plain stupid?  

4 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

It has 36 collectors and according to my calculations it should collect/produce 143,28 milligrams per day (3.98 mg per collector x 36, perfect orbit etc.), so 1000 milligrams (1 gram) should be collected in 6,97934 (more decimal numbers) days, roughly a week... not even close! I time warped 50 days and got about 587 milligrams... something is very wrong! Or am I just plain stupid?  

First of all this is a complex mod and you're not stupid if you can get it to work at all.  

It has been a while since I've collected any anti-matter (i use fusion now almost exclusively )  simplest explanation is your orbit is slightly off the equator.

2nd while I would like to believe otherwise there are some bugs, maybe am is one of them since 1.05

Going along with bugs perhaps it is a warp artifact 

And finally maybe it is a miscalculation or a reactor on the vessel accidentally left active 

Apparently 4 AIM reactors weights and produces same amount of power like single same size Antimatter Reactor, but antimatter can last for years instead of days, when running at full power.

That is, if both are fully upgraded.

On other hands using 4 AIMS (or bigger AIM reactor) to power plasma engine would result increased mass, due to bigger/more units of thermal/charged particle generators.

So if our future of energy production is like this, then we will get AIM reactors in space, which will beam down microwave power to power stuff.

Also planes will run on thermal/plasma engines using atmosphere as fuel.

Edited by raxo2222

Look for some help here,

I'm testing out the mod in sandbox mode right now but I can never seem to get the reactors to generate GWs of power ever. It says on the descriptions in all of my reactors that the max power is in 100s MW range and when i test it out it never makes more than a that. What am I doing wrong? 

Edit. I also realized that the description of my plasma thruster indicates at 1.25m the max imput is 25MW , which is substantially lower than listed on the wiki which is 25 GW.... Have I not installed KSP interstellar properly or something?

Edited by hafyboy
additional info

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You have either SETI or Near Future Electrics instaled. When either is installed, KSPI enters NFT/SETI mode, meaning it producces 200 times less power

Well that explains A LOT... I was also looking at the wiki and wondered is it a typo mistake, could it be they (NFT/SETI) also mess up antimatter collectors? Also can KSPI use NFT reactors?

Edited by NeverEnoughFuel!!

9 hours ago, Profit- said:

First of all this is a complex mod and you're not stupid if you can get it to work at all.  

It has been a while since I've collected any anti-matter (i use fusion now almost exclusively )  simplest explanation is your orbit is slightly off the equator.

2nd while I would like to believe otherwise there are some bugs, maybe am is one of them since 1.05

Going along with bugs perhaps it is a warp artifact 

And finally maybe it is a miscalculation or a reactor on the vessel accidentally left active 

Well maybe it is a bit off (orbit) does it have to be perfectly equatorial? I thought it (the plant) only needs to be at proper altitude? And I don't have antimatter reactor on it just a small fission one to keep the containment field active...

@Sagath: Where is the 2 come from? With me it is "RadialRadiatorzzz" and it is the same part as in 1.6.1 (radial.cfg 10.11.2015 10:57)

Edit: OK before May 2015 there was a  radial2.cfg [RadialRadiatorzzz2] (14.03.2015 11:12), no idea what KSPI-E Version

Edited by EnigmaG

2 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Well maybe it is a bit off (orbit) does it have to be perfectly equatorial? I thought it (the plant) only needs to be at proper altitude? And I don't have antimatter reactor on it just a small fission one to keep the containment field active...

It does take it into account in the calculation.  I do not know how much it changes it. 

if (last_active_time != 0 && vessel.orbit.eccentricity < 1) 
            {
                double lat = vessel.mainBody.GetLatitude(vessel.transform.position);
                double vessel_avg_alt = (vessel.orbit.ApR + vessel.orbit.PeR) / 2.0f;
                double vessel_inclination = vessel.orbit.inclination;
                double flux = 0.5 * (vessel.mainBody.GetBeltAntiparticles(vessel_avg_alt, vessel_inclination) + vessel.mainBody.GetBeltAntiparticles(vessel_avg_alt, 0.0));
                double antimatter_to_add = time_diff * flux * collectionMultiplier;
                part.ImprovedRequestResource(InterstellarResourcesConfiguration.Instance.Antimatter, -antimatter_to_add);
            }

1 hour ago, Profit- said:

It does take it into account in the calculation.  I do not know how much it changes it. 

if (last_active_time != 0 && vessel.orbit.eccentricity < 1) 
            {
                double lat = vessel.mainBody.GetLatitude(vessel.transform.position);
                double vessel_avg_alt = (vessel.orbit.ApR + vessel.orbit.PeR) / 2.0f;
                double vessel_inclination = vessel.orbit.inclination;
                double flux = 0.5 * (vessel.mainBody.GetBeltAntiparticles(vessel_avg_alt, vessel_inclination) + vessel.mainBody.GetBeltAntiparticles(vessel_avg_alt, 0.0));
                double antimatter_to_add = time_diff * flux * collectionMultiplier;
                part.ImprovedRequestResource(InterstellarResourcesConfiguration.Instance.Antimatter, -antimatter_to_add);
            }

Well eccentricity was about 0,00367 - ish ... I can't believe that such a small number can make such a big difference... but nevermind I deleted NFT and SETI and collectors now my reactors are in GW range as they should be in the first place, I have ten scientists I'll choose the least stupid ones and launch couple of sci-labs with reactors for AM production...   

Bring a magnometer and measure the antimatter flux and you will be able to tell if it did matter or not.  

35 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Well eccentricity was about 0,00367 - ish ... I can't believe that such a small number can make such a big difference... but nevermind I deleted NFT and SETI and collectors now my reactors are in GW range as they should be in the first place, I have ten scientists I'll choose the least stupid ones and launch couple of sci-labs with reactors for AM production...   

I am also going to make sure things are working right tonight myself and see if maybe it is a bug. 

Edited by Profit-

I did an investigation on antimatter gathering, here are the results:

I created a craft with 1120 antimatter collectors and built it with my shipyard in Kerbin orbit.  (This may have been overkill as my frames per second are around 1/4 a fps. )

The gathering rate was 3.89mg/collector/day. 

I had 5,120,000 Antimatter storage available. 

After 1 Kerbin day I had gathered 1119 Antimatter. I assume the units are mg after looking at my tanks and their fill levels. 
Warped for 25 days, collection rates remained steady so I assume it is not a time warp issue.

The collectors appear to produce almost exactly 1/4th the amount they should HOWEVER, if the day length was 24 hours instead of 6 I believe they would be correct.  I am pretty sure that the issue is the anti-matter collection estimates is just earth days not Kerbin days for its calculations. 

*KSP does not approve of this many collectors.... at all. 
image.png

*Edit* And that is exactly what is going on... 
 The estimates are for earth days. 

collection_rate_d = flux * GameConstants.EARH_DAY_SECONDS;
21 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Edited by Profit-

2 hours ago, Profit- said:

Bring a magnometer and measure the antimatter flux and you will be able to tell if it did matter or not.  

I am also going to make sure things are working right tonight myself and see if maybe it is a bug. 

Right now I have experimented with science lab, different reactors etc... and I saw that science lab with 5GW of power (max) produces 0,027 milligrams, someone on youtube said that you need 9 collectors to match that amount, so its wrong when you right-click a collector in space to say 3,98 milligrams, is it maybe picograms? Btw I don't understand how fully upgraded Dumbo reactor with 14 GW of thermal power can't power up science lab? In megajoule's window I see theoretical power of 5,94 GW but when i turn on the lab I'm 2,3 GW short, and efficiency of electric generator slowly drops down... where did my 2,3 GW have gone? Waste heat? 

59 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Right now I have experimented with science lab, different reactors etc... and I saw that science lab with 5GW of power (max) produces 0,027 milligrams, someone on youtube said that you need 9 collectors to match that amount, so its wrong when you right-click a collector in space to say 3,98 milligrams, is it maybe picograms? Btw I don't understand how fully upgraded Dumbo reactor with 14 GW of thermal power can't power up science lab? In megajoule's window I see theoretical power of 5,94 GW but when i turn on the lab I'm 2,3 GW short, and efficiency of electric generator slowly drops down... where did my 2,3 GW have gone? Waste heat? 

Dumbo reactor produces heat, and heat based generators suffer from falling inefficiencies as they heat up.   
http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P07440/public/Home

Post above explains some of what is going on with antimatter. 

I forgot to ask, did you rescale your collectors? If you do that they produce less as well, but it  does not update the estimates. 

Edited by Profit-

1 hour ago, Profit- said:

Dumbo reactor produces heat, and heat based generators suffer from falling inefficiencies as they heat up.   
http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P07440/public/Home

Post above explains some of what is going on with antimatter. 

I forgot to ask, did you rescale your collectors? If you do that they produce less as well, but it  does not update the estimates. 

Aaaaahhhh... phew... so it's time based calculation mistake... is it possible to edit something, to change it to 6 hours period? I did not rescale collectors they are big and heavy.... and free (price 0)? Also science lab is free also?

Edited by NeverEnoughFuel!!

11 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Aaaaahhhh... phew... so it's time based calculation mistake... is it possible to edit something, to change it to 6 hours period? I did not rescale Dumbo it's 2,5 m size... is that original size? I think it is... thank you for your time and patience regarding collectors...

No, it is really not unless you are willing to recompile the plugin. I was refering to rescaling your collectors.  The dumbo reactor I am nearly certainly is a Thermoelectric Carnot Efficiency curve issue inside the generator and is working as intended. As your wasteheat increases, the difference between reactor and radiators decreases  causing an efficiency drop.  And you are most welcome. 

7 minutes ago, the torturer of kerbals said:

they should make exotic matter tanks or an infinite exotic matter cheat

You have both.  In windows it is called notepad.  

Vista engine flame-out with fuel.

I have been plagued by this bug the last few days.

When turning down the throttle or shutting down a vista engine. It will display af flamed out / LqdTritium deprived. The fuel gages will not have changed. The vista engines seems to be locked in this state independant of fuel levels or even if i try pumping fuel back and forth.

This happens independent of reactor type og vista engine size. If there is a Deuterium/Tritium Cryostat on the craft suddenly the they will go from full to empty.

If i throttle up and jump to the space center and the back to the craft it will funktion again until i throttle down or shutdown the engine.

If there are more than one vista engine on a ship only the activated engines will be affected.

I really hope some one can help me with this because its drivning me nuts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.