Kerbalized SpaceX

do you have an alternate .cfg file for the v2 dragon(the newer one) that has it reading liquid hydrogen? or at least instructions for converting the fuel used myself?

universal storage capacity:
the oxygen tank capacity: 21672
the hydrogen tank capacity: 28517
...I think I can make orbit with a dragon v2/trunk thus equipped.

4 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

the fuel tank modules have capacities in the 5 digit range. not sure if the v2 uses hydrogen or liquid fuel..

If you are talking about the BFR, that is because sheer size. It is designed to lift 150 tons to LKO with full re-usability. Every test I have run has fit the parameters of what Elon said the BFR would be capable of. If you were to stack tanks the same size as mine they would hold roughly the same amount of fuel. I didn't just pull the numbers out my butt.:D

I'm not sure if SpaceX has specified exactly what fuel they will be using on the super dracos engines, I'm assuming it is RP-1 (liquid fuel). All I do know is the engines are hypergolic and non cryogenic. Meaning they mix substances to create combustion and its not methane or hydrogen. Having Cryogenic fuel that close to people wouldn't be safe, its highly toxic and super flammable. Not to mention all the weight you add to the pod to carry the necessary equipment to keep it chilled.

18 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

I'm talking about the dragon v2. what would it take to convert her to use hydrogen fuel?

Well nothing SpaceX uses is hydrogen or currently plans to use hydrogen. But its pretty easy. Find a tank that holds relatively the same amount of "liquid fuel" the dragon V2 holds while you are using some fuel switch mod. then switch that tank to liquid hydrogen and write down the numbers. You then open up the JNH folder->parts->command->dragon2->kerbalizedDragonV2.cfg.  Make sure you open dragon2 folder not the dragonV2 folder (the old dragonv2). Find these lines

Spoiler

MODULE
{
 name = ModuleEngines
 engineID = en1
 powerEffectName = running_closed
 thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
 exhaustDamage = True
// throttleLocked = True
 ignitionThreshold = 0.1
 minThrust = 0
 maxThrust = 240
 heatProduction = 200
        EngineType = LiquidFuel
 PROPELLANT
 {
  name = LiquidFuel
  ratio = 0.9
  DrawGauge = True
 }
 PROPELLANT
 {
  name = Oxidizer
  ratio = 1.1
 }
 atmosphereCurve
 {
  key = 0 234
  key = 1 200
        key = 9 0.001
 }
}

RESOURCE
{
 name = LiquidFuel
 amount = 470
 maxAmount = 470
}
RESOURCE
{
 name = Oxidizer
 amount = 574
 maxAmount = 574
}

You will change the "propellant" to whatever the name for liquid hydrogen is (check an engine config or something) instead of liquid fuel. Depending on what mod you are using you may need to change the oxidizer as well.

then go to resources and change the names and the number to the ones you wrote down from the tank earlier.

I cant remember if you need to change the engine type. Just look at a hydrogen engine config. and it will tell you.- Its been awhile since I played with fuels.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

2 hours ago, Quinn Kerman said:

Is that a picture of the BFR with the lights on?

BTW the angle of the second window is still a bit off

Yes- it has lights now.

Its simply a slight distortion of the textures due to all the details being faked in-order to maintain a minimum amount of geometry. Not to mention its size relative to other KSP pods makes any imperfections that much more noticeable. What I mean is the windows aren't real- I drew them and then needed to lay them onto a curved surface. I tried un-wrapping my object several different ways but that was the least distorted I could get them. I had one final idea of un-wrapping those faces individually but decided it wasn't something that I found to particularly distracting. If I sit around trying to fix every imperfection I would never finish and would certainly never have time to actually fly the craft I spent days creating.

11 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

@harrisjosh2711 *nods* sorta, that said...a few shots of the capsules lined up wouldnt go amiss.

Sure I don't mind doing that. In the mean time check out the video by kottobos games on the front page. The only thing new after that video was made I believe is the new Dragon1 and the BFR pod's. The new Dragon1 looks pretty darn good though if you ask me. 

I doubt anyone has noticed- but the textures on the dragon1 are meant to sorta resemble a baseball. That was my whole idea behind the kerbal flair. I mean what flies over a hundred miles an hour an can take licks even harder? A Baseball:D

Also, its really boring posting pics......

@RaiderMan I totally meant to use your BFR "bruce" reference for the cargo and forgot. I'm going to go ahead and change that in the repository so I wont forget next time.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

2 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Whats the Spacebug? 

I made that just because I wanted 2. Its based off a concept moon lander. I released it on this mod so people could play with it. I plan to move it to its own mod after I finish this project and start my new one. Which is probably still several months off. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711