Kerbalized SpaceX

Here is the new booster for the BFR. It has an integrated RCS, probe core, and battery. I need to figure out how to make the engines glow from the heat and I will release a 1.3.1 update. I did a pretty good bit of work on the BFR cargo variation but cant seem to find the file. I hope I didn't accidently erase over it.

23829857768_5c5aa78d51_b.jpg

1 minute ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Here is the new booster for the BFR. It has an integrated RCS, probe core, and battery. I need to figure out how to make the engines glow from the heat and I will release a 1.3.1 update. I did a pretty good bit of work on the BFR cargo variation but cant seem to find the file. I hope I didn't accidently erase over it.

23829857768_5c5aa78d51_b.jpg

Check for 'kerbal color animation tutorial) - can't link on mobile, sorry. You'll need to make an extra texture to control the glow. look at the stock parts for some examples. 

17 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

where are the thruster ports located? do the thrusters have full reactive capability, eg roll, pitch, yaw, translation control, thrust/reverse?

At the very top and bottom. They are five way thrusters. So yes, they can go whatever which way. 

Ever wished you had a little extra room in your tank for a few things? Kind of pointless on this particular tank as it already has a probe core, electric charge, etc.... But, hey..... why not?..... 

37654695832_a775c0d294_b.jpg

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Working on the mod again for a little while today, already finished the fins for the BFR. I have also modeled a set of aero dynamic landing legs for the new rockets as it appears they will not be going with the current falcon landing legs, as of this moment..... 

37666304952_5893da482a_b.jpg

37649884286_3910f87b29_b.jpg

Edited by harrisjosh2711

2 hours ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

You need to make the booster a lot more durable!

Nope. We always perform the final pass on the very first test launch. No Returns!:sticktongue:

There might really be a problem with landing legs in KSP supporting +55 tons. I don't know enough about its configs yet, but the nodes are having a issue staying connected. You can actually see in the video the nodes start bouncing. I made the legs almost invincible for the test. It is absolutely impossible to support while the tank is full. It must be landed empty. This beast had to be super heavy to help balance out in KSP. Without that extra weight, once you got low on fuel, just a small amount would push you an unrealistic distance. It had to be super heavy to combat this. I will do some more testing on it in the near future.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

6 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Nope. We always perform the final pass on the very first test launch. No Returns!:sticktongue:

Their might really be a problem with landing legs in KSP supporting +55 tons. I don't know enough about its configs yet, but the nodes are having a issues staying connected. You can actually see in the video the nodes start bouncing. I made the legs almost invincible for the test. It is absolutely impossible to support while the tank is full. It must be landed empty. This beast had to be super heavy to help balance out in KSP. Without that extra weight, once you got low on fuel, just a small amount would push you an unrealistic distance. It had to be super heavy to combat this. I will do some more testing on it in the near future.

A solution to the "too much thrust" problem is to simply turn the thrust limit down. This gives more precise throttling because the throttle is relative to the thrust limit.

2 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

A solution to the "too much thrust" problem is to simply turn the thrust limit down. This gives more precise throttling because the throttle is relative to the thrust limit.

I tried that. The problem with that is the tank holds a lot of fuel. I could decrease the thrust and remove a lot of fuel (it currently has the amount its volume should support in KSP, so it would be unrealistic to change. As why not just have a smaller rocket if that's your aim?) and you could get the same performance. As of right now it leaves the launch pad at a TWR of less than the suggested 1.44. Lower the Thrust much and you want even be leaving the launch pad, more or less ever launch any payload. The 55 ton dry mass is minuscule compared to the amount that fuel weighs. It has to have such a great amount of Thrust to lift the fuel, not the rocket. The engine has two modes to enable more precise throttling during landing. As yes, it would be extremely difficult to land with all 36 engines running. Hench why SpaceX only lands its rocket with a single merlin engine out of nine. 

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I tried that. The problem with that is the tank holds a lot of fuel. I could decrease the thrust and remove a lot of fuel (it currently has the amount its volume should support in KSP, so it would be unrealistic to change. As why not just have a smaller rocket if that's your aim?) and you could get the same performance. As of right now it leaves the launch pad at a TWR of less than the suggested 1.44. Lower the Thrust much and you want even be leaving the launch pad, more or less ever launch any payload. The 55 ton dry mass is minuscule compared to the amount that fuel weighs. It has to have such a great amount of Thrust to lift the fuel, not the rocket. The engine has two modes to enable more precise throttling during landing. As yes, it would be extremely difficult to land with all 36 engines running. Hench why SpaceX only lands its rocket with a single merlin engine out of nine. 

You can change thrust limit mid-flight.

14 minutes ago, Aerospacer said:

Why 36? In video I saw 37.

But Elon say is 31... :)

I was mistaken, it is 37 engines. You are correct though, I messed up in my info. I had the booster having 42 engines, which is actually how times the raptor engine has been tested. Not much info of the BFR yet, most is still linked to the ITS. I will likely change that to 31 engines. I would prefer it to be as accurate as possible. It has 37 because thats all I could fit.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Newest version of Kerbalized SpaceX is now available at the link of your choice.- Added BFR booster, engines, coupling, fins, and rear docking port. Added a second 3.75 version of the BFR. The space bug with the heat shield now has multi mode engines atmospheric/rocket (you need to add air intakes for now). New texture for BFR heat shield. Made one of the dragon v2's and a trunk 2.5m. Fixed collider issue on dragon v2 pod.

23875266238_d755c51570_b.jpg

Edited by harrisjosh2711