ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

There is a concept called "limit gauge". (Gauge is the thickness of sheet metal.) The idea is that even if a metal is strong enough under tensile stress that a super-thin layer will hold pressure (think aluminum foil), at some point it becomes so thin as to be impossibly unresistant to incidental damage (also think aluminum foil, that tears or pierces easily).

Edited by mikegarrison

On 3/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, mikegarrison said:

There is a concept called "limit gauge". (Gauge is the thickness of sheet metal.) The idea is that even if a metal is strong enough under tensile stress that a super-thin layer will hold pressure (think aluminum foil), at some point it becomes so thin as to be impossibly unresistant to incidental damage (also think aluminum foil, that tears or pierces easily).

I  still wonder if aluminum foil would make an effective parachute for atmospheric braking/capture.  I'm guessing that using it as an inflatable heat shield would make more sense, as that even with a large hole in the center a parachute contracts the adiabatically heated atmosphere while the heatshield spreads the heated mass over and around itself.  So while you would have to use more foil for an equal frontal area, you would probably have more deceleration per gram of Al.

Nice that they have it so automated. I suppose that's how they've been able to keep making the thing, with all that's been going on lately. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 8:17 AM, SOXBLOX said:

Yaaaaaay, ULA! Can't wait to see Vulcan fly!

Agreed.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:17 AM, SOXBLOX said:

This is probably total flamebait, but I like Starliner better than Crew Dragon and Atlas and Vulcan better than Falcon.

I'd like Starliner better than I do if it worked.

Atlas and Vulcan vs F9? Yeah, no, rocket landings are way cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, SOXBLOX said:

Yaaaaaay, ULA! Can't wait to see Vulcan fly!

I can't either. I do kinda wish it was more reusable, but I hope they can do ACES, it's a cool concept.

I wonder if there will be a strong partnership with ULA and Blue in the future. Vulcan will be using the BE-4 engines, and LM is teaming up with them to build a human lunar lander. Just seems like they could really expand on that together to develop Cislunar space.

A very cool factoid. Atlas V was so accurate that effectively mid-course corrections weren't needed. Which is fortunate, because it gave them enough propellant reserve to correct a serious glitch.