So, lets build a plane. Stock. That fits in a mk3 cargo bay. A jet, naturally. So the wings MUST fold. Say they tilt forward 90 degrees and then move back flat against the fuselage. Then it moves on powered wheels. I know. It's absurd. But it's a challenge. Get building!!!

Any suggestions, @Azimech and @selfish_meme? Because you two are good at building hinges stock. Is it even possible with ksp physics? 

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

Definitely possible, just don't timewarp lol.

I was just messing around with a stock variable sweep wing, although admittedly it's a little wobbly still.

Although I'm pretty sure you could make a ghetto jet to fit the Mk3 cargo bay without folding the wings. So..is that a hard rule or just a suggestion? Great idea for a challenge btw!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

You would put docking ports in the swept and deployed positions so timewarp wouldn't be an issue @Servo has an F-14 that does it already.

However there is no need for swing wings, I have a SSTO Spaceplane already that fits in a mk3 cargo bay, it was for a Laythe trip I was planning. A mk1 fuselage and small wings are small enough to fit, you can even get them in MK2 bays just.

I also built one that was delivered to the ground in a mk3 cargo bay, then tilted and launched from the bay to orbit as another idea, I never finished that one.

Done!

oanKHis.png

Certainly not my best airplane, I was even surprised it took off with the first try.

ND6kJbe.png

Note, the wings are disconnected from the main craft during flight. Just not enough room for a docking port to reconnect.

And the proof it fits.

eGWwzju.png

It's less of a 'is it cheap, viable, easily used?' and more of a 'does it work. Yay it does!' @selfish_meme. In short not a discussion on viability, simply a challenge to get it to work. But you do make a fine point there.

41 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Done!

oanKHis.png

Certainly not my best airplane, I was even surprised it took off with the first try.

ND6kJbe.png

Note, the wings are disconnected from the main craft during flight. Just not enough room for a docking port to reconnect.

And the proof it fits.

eGWwzju.png

I am beyond words. Well, almost...

• 2 weeks later...