Quick Mun Mission in 1.3.1 - Stock! What?

Geonovast

Finally upgraded to 1.3.1.  Gonna mess around stock for a bit, since not all my "necessary" mods appear to be updated yet.  It's amazing how much I miss some of the mods.

Don't wanna get too involved with a save until I get some mods installed, so decided to send Val, Bill and Bob to the Mun, which is usually neglected.  Mission went off perfectly. :/

Launch and get to orbit:

f8screenshot10.png49fscreenshot12.pngb7bscreenshot15.png

Got a little scorched dumping the transfer tanks; dropped the orbital fuel pod (we'll come back to it)

a40screenshot17.pngc80screenshot18.png

Down we go!; Plant flag, and leave.  This is sandbox - there's nothing to actually do.

416screenshot21.pnge02screenshot23.png8b6screenshot24.png

Rendezvous with fuel pod, refill tanks, and dispose of pod(This step was completely unnecessary, I still had plenty to get home...but meh)

c32screenshot33.png525screenshot36.png

Dump tanks and engines, deploy braking system (I'm sure I would have tumbled without those airbrakes

9afscreenshot37.png

Home sweet home!

860screenshot41.png139screenshot42.png

On a side note, whomever it was at @SQUAD that decided to introduce full throttle control (including RCS) to map mode, know that I love you and want to buy you a coffee.  I can't tell you how annoying it was to keep switching back and forth to make small course corrections.

On 10/28/2017 at 2:38 PM, Geonovast said:

On a side note, whomever it was at @SQUAD that decided to introduce full throttle control (including RCS) to map mode, know that I love you and want to buy you a coffee.  I can't tell you how annoying it was to keep switching back and forth to make small course corrections.

Nice mission :) 

Which mods are you still missing?  If you're waiting on any from @linuxgurugamer, all (or at least 99%) of his 100 or so mods are now up to 1.3.1.  But because he handles so many mods, he doesn't have time to update their thread titles to say so.  Instead, he has consolidated his update status here:  

But I've been playing KSP since 0.20 that you've always had full control of throttle, orientation, and RCS in map view.  The only things that haven't worked there are action groups.  The map is the main view used in stock to do maneuvers because that's the only place you can see your trajectory change, or know when you're crossing an SOI.  Thus, apart from the launch and gravity turn, docking, and landing, in stock you stay in the map view the whole time and miss out on seeing the sights.  One of the main reasons the progenitors of today's MechJeb2 came along was so you could enjoy the scenery while doing burns.

9 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Nice mission :) 

Which mods are you still missing?  If you're waiting on any from @linuxgurugamer, all (or at least 99%) of his 100 or so mods are now up to 1.3.1.  But because he handles so many mods, he doesn't have time to update their thread titles to say so.  Instead, he has consolidated his update status here: 

Yeah I saw almost all of his were updated.  I actually don't think I'm using too many of his.

I have Konstruction! Installed now.  KIS/KAS and KER are the other ones I'm missing.  I'm not seeing new versions for 1.3.1, but I am now seeing comments that the 1.3 versions work fine.

With 1.3, when I started modding, I kinda blunderbussed a ton at it at once.  I ran into some little bugs and crashes that I was too lazy to correctly diagnose, since they weren't game breaking.  I think this time I'm gonna install one at a time and play for a bit before adding another one.

37 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

But I've been playing KSP since 0.20 that you've always had full control of throttle, orientation, and RCS in map view. 

That's... weird.  RCS never worked for me in 1.3, and only Z and X would work for throttle.  I suppose it could have been that by the time I actually tried such things in map view, a mod conflict or something was messing with it.  I'll fire up 1.3 in stock again and see if I have throttle control.  I just assumed it was new...

11 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I have Konstruction! Installed now.  KIS/KAS and KER are the other ones I'm missing.  I'm not seeing new versions for 1.3.1, but I am now seeing comments that the 1.3 versions work fine.

KIS was updated to 1.3.1.  KAS has not but the 1.3 version works.  Or maybe it's the other way around, but I'm pretty sure it's KIS that was updated.

I don't know about KER as I use MJ for that instead.   MJ has dev builds for 1.3.1 and they seem to work fine.

With 1.3, when I started modding, I kinda blunderbussed a ton at it at once.  I ran into some little bugs and crashes that I was too lazy to correctly diagnose, since they weren't game breaking.  I think this time I'm gonna install one at a time and play for a bit before adding another one.

I just took my 1.3 save, copied it to a new 1.3.1 installation, then added all the mods I'd been using in 1.3.  Things are much smoother now and I've none of the sort of problems you mention, which I had many of in 1.3.  I think 1.3 was pretty buggy all in all compared to 1.3.1.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Just now, Geschosskopf said:

KIS was updated to 1.3.1.  KAS has not but the 1.3 version works. 

I saw the forum title was changed to 1.3.1, but when you go to the downloads, the most recent version still has 1.3.  I'm sure it works, I'm just being paranoid.  Honestly I don't use KIS/KAS that much, I just like having it available.

I'll toss KER in tonight since it's reported the 1.3 version works.  I don't mind stock, sometimes it's even more enjoyable accomplishing things with a restricted amount of parts and functionality.  I grew up playing with K'nex - I know how to make things with a limited selection ;). 

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'll toss KER in tonight since it's reported the 1.3 version works.  I don't mind stock, sometimes it's even more enjoyable accomplishing things with a restricted amount of parts and functionality.  I grew up playing with K'nex - I know how to make things with a limited selection ;). 

Yeah, I mostly use mods for the new and different parts, just to do something different.  And of course MJ to make sure I have the TWR and dV for the trip I'm planning, and to handle all the routine burns I've done thousands of times.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

All my mods are now updated.

And, I'm updating the titles as I get time

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.