[ KSP 1.7.x ] Active Cooling Continued

captinjoehenry

So I came up with the idea to add something that functions as active cooling to space plane parts to help them survive high speed reentries like you would find in a real scale system and @Esquire42 and I made the mod.  He hasn't been around lately so I'm continuing to host the mod and provide support.  

Original thread:

Download: https://github.com/NizholasZ/Active-Cooling-Continued

What this does is add an active cooling module to every part that has a control surface, airbrake surface or lifting surface.  This adds a tank that starts off empty but can hold 100 units of active cooling liquid (ACL) which is used in an ablator module.  In addition it adds a converter that takes up to 30 ec a second and produces 1000 ACL a second.  This is supposed to represent the fancy types of active cooling that hypersonic aircraft have in real life.  

The values for ec usage and ACL generation and ACL storage (this when full represents the weight of the system) are flexible and balancing suggestions are welcome.  

If people are interested I can make other versions of this that add different patches for different versions of the active cooling system.  So there could be one that just uses water as the ablator and you just need to have water on board the plane to maintain cooling.  Or another version that just adds plain old fashion ablator.  Or different versions of the EC cooling system that have different masses and effectiveness.

Versions of mod:

V1 Adds all modules to all aero parts

V2 Adds ablator to all aero parts but generators are only on parts with crew capacity or tank space

License:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Change Log:

Spoiler

10/30/2017 Added V2 in which the generators are only in aero parts with crew capacity or fuel tanks

Edited by captinjoehenry
Updated Version

Ahhhh. It's great to see this mod alive again. @captinjoehenry

It looks like this build will actually work for me if I install it. I've learned a bit from having to roll my own because of, and in the absence of this mod. :) My ablation mod is only for personal use but I'll contribute any knowledge to this publicly open mod. My preferred version keeps generation and tankage out of the individual lift surfaces and only lets them all have the ablator module for concern of having loads of computations running on the wings alone, (let alone crewed parts with lifting surface) and potential conflicts with tank modules provided by tank switching mods.

If you will, make the resource flow non-restrictive by default and add the converters only to parts that have lifting surface and (tankage or crew capacity).

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

Ahhhh. It's great to see this mod alive again. @captinjoehenry

It looks like this build will actually work for me if I install it. I've learned a bit from having to roll my own because of, and in the absence of this mod. :) My ablation mod is only for personal use but I'll contribute any knowledge to this publicly open mod. My preferred version keeps generation and tankage out of the individual lift surfaces and only lets them all have the ablator module for concern of having loads of computations running on the wings alone, (let alone crewed parts with lifting surface) and potential conflicts with tank modules provided by tank switching mods.

If you will, make the resource flow non-restrictive by default and add the converters only to parts that have lifting surface and (tankage or crew capacity).

First of all it's great to hear you like this mod!  Also the mod didn't need any changes from what I last posted I just needed a thread I controlled to make maintaining the mod easier for others to see :P

Ok a few things.  First I have not noticed any lose in performance with the active ablator on all the parts.  It doesn't seem to have any notable impact for my massive spaceplane at least.  Second this mod doesn't actually conflict affect fuel tanks already in the parts that this patches.

So what you are asking for is to keep the ablator in all the parts they are in now but only have the producers on other parts?  Sorry I can't quite figure out what you're asking for :P

@captinjoehenry Alright. That's all good to know. Yes, my suggestion was to have the converter module not in the wing panels. The stock ones (at best) don't have the volume to contain anything other than piping.

6 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

So what you are asking for is to keep the ablator in all the parts they are in now but only have the producers on other parts? 

Yeah. Cockpits, cabins, tanks with lifting surface.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry Alright. That's all good to know. Yes, my suggestion was to have the converter module not in the wing panels. The stock ones (at best) don't have the volume to contain anything other than piping.

Yeah. Cockpits, cabins, tanks with lifting surface.

Ok I get what you are asking for.  I should have a version of that up as soon as I get a response in the mm thread as I don't know how to check for fuel tanks or crew capacity :P

Just now, captinjoehenry said:

Ok I get what you are asking for.  I should have a version of that up as soon as I get a response in the mm thread as I don't know how to check for fuel tanks or crew capacity :P

That's easy. I even have ablation strengths differ by ranges of mass of the part.

@PROPELLANT[*],#CrewCapacity[>0],

Add this to the HAS condition. Also, remove the :FINAL tags. It's bad practice to distribute mods with :FINAL in the configs. Replace it with :AFTER[ZZZ]. Everyone does it.

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's easy. I even have ablation strengths differ by ranges of mass of the part.

@PROPELLANT[*],#CrewCapacity[>0],

Add this to the HAS condition. Also, remove the :FINAL tags. It's bad practice to distribute mods with :FINAL in the configs. Replace it with :AFTER[ZZZ]. Everyone does it.

Ok that is now up as V2 just check the github page.  I haven't tested it but it should work.

Edited by captinjoehenry

32 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

I haven't tested it but it should work.

I've tested it now.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],#CrewCapacity[>0]]
{
	//holds crew and is aerodynamic
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],@RESOURCE[*],~CrewCapacity[*]]
{
	//holds resource, no crew, and is aerodynamic
}

// The no crew is to prevent multiple instances of an added module to cockpits (as they hold crew and resources.

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I've tested it now.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],#CrewCapacity[>0]]
{
	//holds crew and is aerodynamic
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],@RESOURCE[*],~CrewCapacity[*]]
{
	//holds resource, no crew, and is aerodynamic
}

// The no crew is to prevent multiple instances of an added module to cockpits (as they hold crew and resources.

Ok I have updated V2 with those changes.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry I highly doubt you'll be brought before a firing squad for cloning a stock part and making it hold Water. :P Anyway, be sure to tidy up the final folder structure with/within its own GameData folder on the repo. Those separate version folders are kind of discouraging, heheh.

Any suggestions for making this an all in one download?  As it is I don't know how to do that and prevent all the aero parts from all the modules :/

Also would putting a game data folder inside of the version folders help out?  I am not sure how to go about distributing the alternate versions I'm afraid

Edited by captinjoehenry

@captinjoehenry Decide on just the main/default version and delete/archive the rest. Pick the way you want to go and expand on just that. This mod itself is small enough that you can put the resource definition in the patch file and there you have it. A single file mod. GameData > ActiveCooling > ActiveCooling.cfg

Make the file structure on the repo to be like this so anyone who browses and even downloads has a sense of direction to what means what.

In the spirit of the original mod, I'd suggest naming the resource AblationForce or something similar to an energy as the idea of the mod seemed sci-fi to me and breaks the law of conservation of mass.

Finally, make a zip file for yourself like you would expect to see as a player, just like I'm suggesting above, then go to the releases tab on the repository site, hit Draft New Release, and upload the zip.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry Decide on just the main/default version and delete/archive the rest. Pick the way you want to go and expand on just that. This mod itself is small enough that you can put the resource definition in the patch file and there you have it. A single file mod. GameData > ActiveCooling > ActiveCooling.cfg

Make the file structure on the repo to be like this so anyone who browses and even downloads has a sense of direction to what means what.

In the spirit of the original mod, I'd suggest naming the resource AblationForce or something similar to an energy as the idea of the mod seemed sci-fi to me and breaks the law of conservation of mass.

Finally, make a zip file for yourself like you would expect to see as a player, just like I'm suggesting above, then go to the releases tab on the repository site, hit Draft New Release, and upload the zip.

Ok thanks.  It wasn't supposed to be any sort of sci-fi mod it was supposed to just represent active cooling methods for space planes and such.

I do want to offer other types of active cooling though.  Should I host those separately and have links to the releases on this thread?

Ah, well the workings of this mod may have to change entirely then. All of the electric stuff and generator stuff would have to come out. Parts with ModuleLiftingSurface would just need to gain ModuleAblator and you'll have to decide where and how to handle tanks for the coolant:

1. Whether adding to existing parts that would make sense to be able to contain a tank;
  2. Making existing parts no longer hold their resource (which may upset players);
  3. Or cloning parts and having them hold the resource instead of LiquidFuel or MonoPropellant (but then this becomes a bit of a parts pack).

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ah, well the workings of this mod may have to change entirely then. All of the electric stuff and generator stuff would have to come out. Parts with ModuleLiftingSurface would just need to gain ModuleAblator and you'll have to decide where and how to handle tanks for the coolant:

1. Whether adding to existing parts that would make sense to be able to contain a tank;
  2. Making existing parts no longer hold their resource (which may upset players);
  3. Or cloning parts and having them hold the resource instead of LiquidFuel or MonoPropellant (but then this becomes a bit of a parts pack).

Technically the active cooling that is in right now is supposed to represent running fuel through the wing surface to cool the part.  Effectively using the fuel of the ship as a massive heatsink.  I know I've read about some thing or another using their fuel like that but I can't recall what. 

Effectively it is closed loop cooling where the excess heat is dumped into the fuel of the plane or some other heat sink before being disposed of in the engine.  

I also want to add open loop cooling which would be using water as the ablator. 

I'm aware of something like that. It assumes the vessel runs on LH2, not stock LF which is believed to be bases on RP-1 (a form of Kerosene, unsuited for this kind of job). I believe the warmed up Hydrogen may not make it to the engine and would be vented before it can more likely damage the plumbing.

Anyway, I'm okay with everything staying unchanged. As for the configs for alternate versions, put them in an Extras folder on the same level as the GameData folder.

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm aware of something like that. It assumes the vessel runs on LH2, not stock LF which is believed to be bases on RP-1 (a form of Kerosene, unsuited for this kind of job). I believe the warmed up Hydrogen may not make it to the engine and would be vented before it can more likely damage the plumbing.

Anyway, I'm okay with everything staying unchanged. As for the configs for alternate versions, put them in an Extras folder on the same level as the GameData folder.

Awesome thanks for the advice!

On 11/1/2017 at 11:09 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the packaging of the mod, I have two suggestions:

Look at this thread for some scripts that I use when writing and adopyting mods:

Look at this thread for a way to allow the player manage the patches:

Thanks!  I should have this mod set up with patch manager later today.  Really glad this is a thing!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just as a note this still works perfectly 

Also if you want a version of this mod with reduced power and weight penalties, which is also better made :P, I would highly recommend Thor Tech by @JadeOfMaar  His shield parts do this mod jobs but in a cooler way and that mod comes with a ton of awesome additional parts.  

Just keep in mind this mod makes it more expensive to actively cool your plane.

Edited by captinjoehenry

I am glad to see this mod is alive again, i thought it was a really cool idea.

Just a side note, there is some realistic basis for using electricity as a form of heat shield. It is called magnetohydrodynamic aerobraking, which is simply using an electromagnet to repel the mildly ionized gasses that are generated from the shock-wave of the spaceship. Its a pretty neat concept, with quite a few advantages.

If you want to read more you can here http://selenianboondocks.com/category/mhd-aerobraking-and-tps/.

So you have scientific basis for a heat shield technology that only uses electricity while at the same time fully based in reality. I would personally (my way) is have the part be a heavy rounded nosecone that has an electric ablator converter and serves as a radiator to nearby parts (to simulate the protection it would give nearby parts).

48 minutes ago, Titan 3001 said:

I am glad to see this mod is alive again, i thought it was a really cool idea.

Just a side note, there is some realistic basis for using electricity as a form of heat shield. It is called magnetohydrodynamic aerobraking, which is simply using an electromagnet to repel the mildly ionized gasses that are generated from the shock-wave of the spaceship. Its a pretty neat concept, with quite a few advantages.

If you want to read more you can here http://selenianboondocks.com/category/mhd-aerobraking-and-tps/.

So you have scientific basis for a heat shield technology that only uses electricity while at the same time fully based in reality. I would personally (my way) is have the part be a heavy rounded nosecone that has an electric ablator converter and serves as a radiator to nearby parts (to simulate the protection it would give nearby parts).

Well...  I'm no modeler or anything.  But I could fairly easily make a version of this with any stock part you want having the ablator filler and then just have the MM patch only apply the storage and ablator module to the rest of the parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.