Air Superiority Fighter Competition

This is just a reminder that views are different. I knew going in I would face turrets, I clearly understand how unfair they can be. I was very afraid of being gunned down by turrets, even though my fixed gun plane was getting gun kills vs a turreted version of my plane.

But at the same time, I thought that if that happened, then so be it. I was overall okay with a loss due to turrets. The fact that my plane managed to win vs turrets makes me more than proud of it. :D

Beserker are no longer in combat, so f-25 may continue to advance. I was always testing 50cal on barrage. Sorry for the oversight. Also, due to now seen opness of turrets, the only swiveling weapon allowed will be if you happen to have a mutant kerbal who shoots bullets out of his eyes and has to wear sunglasses:cool:

(Yes, I just did that to use that emoticon)

Edited by HeroBrian_333

I've got no problem with the turrets. I can smoke those Berzerkers every time in 3v3. (I haven't tested vs the Ordnance drones yet). The 50 cal bullets are slow, and don't have much punch. I think it adds an interesting dimension to the challenge.

Thus far, in my own 3v3 testing,  I've been able to reliably win against: Bryntroll, Sanngrior, Tasich, Dorito, and the Berzerkers. This has been at different AI Pilot tunings on the same plane, so I'm going to have to find a compromise that works.

9 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

You can counter this by checking "clearance check" or whatever clearance is called in the competition menu

I have it turned on. That wasn't the problem. It was that the plane is hyper-maneuverable, and forcibly rolls itself into missiles that would have been clear of the plane if they'd lit up sooner.

50 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I've got no problem with the turrets. I can smoke those Berzerkers every time in 3v3. (I haven't tested vs the Ordnance drones yet). The 50 cal bullets are slow, and don't have much punch. I think it adds an interesting dimension to the challeng

That's not really the matter. The bullet velocity is about the same and them being able to aim 360 degrees is what breaks them, since being maneuverable enough to get on someone's 6 is now useless.

Has yours won against the F-25? It seems to use lots of missiles according to yoyr first post. If it's just using as many missile/target possible, any of the plane you're fighting could just set themselves to 6 missile per target and beat you, proving the missiles were doing more work than your plane.

50 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

have it turned on. That wasn't the problem. It was that the plane is hyper-maneuverable, and forcibly rolls itself into missiles that would have been clear of the plane if they'd lit up sooner

I've built many fighters which I won't call super-maneuverable or hyper-maneuverable since those are entirely subjective, but I've yet to have any plane hit its own missiles.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

37 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Has yours won against the F-25? It seems to use lots of missiles according to yoyr first post. If it's just using as many missile/target possible, any of the plane you're fighting could just set themselves to 6 missile per target and beat you, proving the missiles were doing more work than your plane.

It took me a while to find the download link. @HeroBrian_333, I know you're short on time, but could you comb the thread and add all the craft downloads to the OP?

Just tried two 3v3s:

• 3-0 (One of mine lost a wing and a nose, but was still in fighting shape. No damage to the other 2).
  • 3-1 (Complete loss on one of mine, no damage to the other 2).

EDIT: While on the ground, the F-25 leaps into the air on quickload and destroys its engines. It could be a bug on my part, but I've done two separate setups. You may want to look at your landing gear settings.

Edited by FleshJeb

10 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

: While on the ground, the F-25 leaps into the air on quickload and destroys its engines. It could be a bug on my part, but I've done two separate setups. You may want to look at your landing gear settings

It's a common bug after quickloading. I saw it with some others' planes too.

How many missiles does yours fire? Try flying the F-25 with the same number of missiles.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

17 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

It's a common bug after quickloading. I saw it with some others' planes too.

How many missiles does yours fire? Try flying the F-25 with the same number of missiles.

OK. It's the first time it's happened so far, so I thought it might be craft-specific.

I'm packing two AIM-120s and two Sidewinders, but it usually doesn't get all of them off before the gunfight starts. I'm hitting the merge FAST.

PMed you the craft so you can experiment if you feel like. I still need to polish a few things and run more tests before I submit.

37 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

It took me a while to find the download link. @HeroBrian_333, I know you're short on time, but could you comb the thread and add all the craft downloads to the OP?

Just tried two 3v3s:

• 3-0 (One of mine lost a wing and a nose, but was still in fighting shape. No damage to the other 2).
  • 3-1 (Complete loss on one of mine, no damage to the other 2).

EDIT: While on the ground, the F-25 leaps into the air on quickload and destroys its engines. It could be a bug on my part, but I've done two separate setups. You may want to look at your landing gear settings.

There is actually a list on page 12, with the final two files on page 13. Craft submission was closed on 13, so there have been no further "official" submissions yet

@HeroBrian_333 Any restriction on the number of fixed guns?

It's been privately insinuated that I'm being spammy by mounting three Vulcans...

I'm trying to build a raging murder-machine here, not some delicate flower of aerodynamics. They look real pretty when they fall out of the sky.

Edited by FleshJeb

Just now, FleshJeb said:

@HeroBrian_333 Any restriction on the number of fixed guns?

It's been privately insinuated that I'm being spammy by mounting three Vulcans...

I'm trying to build a raging murder-machine here, not some delicate flower of aerodynamics. They look real pretty when they fall out of the sky.

We have had several board-registering aircraft that had three or more guns (be gentle-3, Fighter 3-4), and there were aircraft last time that could have used the extra firepower (taisch was an excellent gunfighter, but missed kill shots sudo-frequently because only one or two rounds would hit). Mount as many guns as you feel within reason, obviously if you take a mk.3 fuselage and mount hidden vulcans around the entire perimeter i will find you your aircraft may be considered a "super" and only go up against other op as frig airplanes like the Monstron 1v1.

30 minutes ago, drtricky said:

@FleshJeb I consider three vulcans the standard light armament for any combat aircraft I build. As a matter of fact, I originally wanted to mount four vulcans on the Dorito, but I didn't like the ammo consumption.

what did you have on yours, three?

@exbyde @drtricky 

Yeah, I agree, a plane should carry as many guns (with ammo) as it can support. I built the Be Gentle, so I'm used to 3 guns.

On another note, I think this competition is making me forget it's supposed to be for fun. I was very rude in PMs to a couple of fellows that were just trying to offer some good advice. I'll have to apologize in the morning.

In addition, I've gone and broken my dang plane and lost the earlier, much more successful version. VERY frustrating. I'm going to retire from the competition after I've submitted one more that works.

Edited by FleshJeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.