How to complete put satellite in x orbit contract

I accepted a contract to put a satellite in orbit around Minmus. When I try and get the orbit close to the required orbit I can't get the contract to complete. 

Does anyone know how close you have to get to the required orbit to complete the contact? I had the periapsis within 5km and the apoapsis spot on but apparently I wasn't close enough.

Also does anyone have any general tips with matching orbits? I am at the start of career mode with very little science unlocked and even with my weakest engine with tiny thrust the orbit changes lots in seconds. I would imagine Minmus isn't the easiest one to start with as well.

Minmus is actually a great place to start. Very easy to maneuver around. Try right-clicking your engine and setting the thrust limiter really low if just pressing the shift key once is still too fast. And 5km is a lot. You'll need to get it much closer. And as @Geonovast said, the direction is often a problem. Hover over the node of the desired orbit and make sure it's zero. Then you just need to tweak your orbit to match the target.

1 hour ago, FrostedShoe said:

Direction was correct, spotted that just after I launched and flipped the orbit before I circled. I think I will try the thrust limiter, can't believe I spent an hour with this and didn't think of that!

If you still can't get it, throw a screenshot up here; that would really help us figure out what's going on.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, FrostedShoe said:

I think I will try the thrust limiter, can't believe I spent an hour with this and didn't think of that!

If you need to use thrust limit, consider a smaller engine next time. Not only it will make easier to be precise, also the mass reduction can make wonders to your deltaV budget.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.