Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

5 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

Would hyperedit be an appropriate tool?  I've never used it but maybe it would be faster that vessel mover.

Vessel Mover actually has a 'hyper' mode that goes really fast, can travel halfway around the world in a few seconds.

It's just that switching to a vessel on location is instantaneous, instead of 'a few seconds'.

Hyperedit is more orbital stuff, not surface stuff.

5 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Vessel Mover actually has a 'hyper' mode that goes really fast, can travel halfway around the world in a few seconds.

It's just that switching to a vessel on location is instantaneous, instead of 'a few seconds'.

Hyperedit is more orbital stuff, not surface stuff.

I am now educated.

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

The procedural wings I’m using are PWings mod but use the texturing from B9’s PWings. They should be in the regular PWings mod

Can you try updating the KerbalX page again? If you're getting the error that the page stops on the upload, upload it as a new craft, and if it's named the same, it'll open up a dialog to update existing. 

18 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Can you try updating the KerbalX page again? If you're getting the error that the page stops on the upload, upload it as a new craft, and if it's named the same, it'll open up a dialog to update existing. 

Done

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Done

So I think all of that was unnecessary, since I ended up remembering messing with Module Manager to try and fix some categories, and I never deleted it after I finished with it.

It was that stupid minor MM screw up that was preventing parts from loading.

You have a new problem though, and it's: if your aircraft  is spawned in from the SPH/Runway, and not by Vessel Mover, the first plane does weird things and refuses to turn towards the enemy team like normal. The 'computer spawn' always does slightly weird things, notably retract gear later and linger in the takeoff stage a little longer (I think), but since your aircraft is really light and not exactly rock-steady stable, it kind of wallows around the air a bit before turning.

Actually, in general, your aircraft are annoying to deal with in the takeoff stage.

This is alleviated by, well, just respawning it in with Vessle Mover instead of launching it from the SPH/Runway, but it's just a note.

FUTURE NOTE THOUGH ( @dundun92 you too):

Stop naming aircraft with quotation marks. That's what's screwing up my downloads, and files don't like them in general, so it gets a bit weird.

Edited by Box of Stardust

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

Stop naming aircraft with quotation marks. That's what's screwing up my downloads, and files don't like them in general, so it gets a bit weird.

Hehehehe...

2 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

and for some reason quotation marks appear to be the biggest problem...

considering my craft names I find that somewhat surprising!

7 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

I don't feel that Gunbrick fairly gets past the Vampire Squirrel, and my testing corroborates that. It should sit at #3.

If other people want to test that too (maybe @exbyde and @goduranus), that would be good.

I think all the dogfights made by dundun92 should be redone. There's something fishy about the fact that the TFD and VS dropped to 4th and 3rd so quickly. Dundun92 did all the fights.

Honestly, I only trust @exbyde to do the dogfights.

@Lo Var Lachland wanna come?

3 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

quotation marks. 

I don't like it. Doesn't look professional...

Just now, Lo Var Lachland said:

Okay, seriously. What did you mean? And also:

What the heck are you doing this late lol

What are you doing up this late.

I live in Texas!

I was asking if you wanted to enter a airplane.

@NSEP, wanna join???

Just now, Lo Var Lachland said:

Ahhhhh. Hmm. I'd need to build one.

And yes, I know. Your location states that. But what is it there? It's 2:30 AM here. :/ 

1:29 AM!!!

I'm a kid

Are you in bed???

5 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

and for some reason quotation marks appear to be the biggest problem...

considering my craft names I find that somewhat surprising!

It's because when the craft file is created, the file is also named that, and Windows file system doesn't allow symbols, so it can break things. 

12 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

I don't feel that Gunbrick fairly gets past the Vampire Squirrel, and my testing corroborates that. It should sit at #3.

If other people want to test that too (maybe @exbyde and @goduranus), that would be good.

It was good luck for the Gunbrick, I think it's okay for Gunbrick to beat the VS on the leaderboards.

A lot of times the plane that wins seems to depend on which direction the two side turn at the initial merge. The Gunbrick seem to have taken a good turn during both these matches.

6 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Ahhhhh. Hmm. I'd need to build one.

And yes, I know. Your location states that. But what is it there? It's 2:30 AM here. :/ 

6 hours ago, dundun93 said:

@NSEP, wanna join???

1:29 AM!!!

I'm a kid

Are you in bed???

tfw 8:20 PM

4 hours ago, goduranus said:

It was good luck for the Gunbrick, I think it's okay for Gunbrick to beat the VS on the leaderboards.

A lot of times the plane that wins seems to depend on which direction the two side turn at the initial merge. The Gunbrick seem to have taken a good turn during both these matches.

I feel that luck should begin during the merge, not before it. Those Squirrels were in a fairly loose formation, which indicates a 'false start' sort of takeoff. A 'correct' takeoff for 3 planes puts them within 300m of each other after takeoff, which is easy to achieve from KSC due to how spawns work, but not from Island.

Considering how little we have control over with the BD AI, I don't think significantly differing formations are fair. Now if we could put our aircraft in a specific formation and spacing (like, say, if we were able to program Wing Commander and have that apply to in-combat) different formations would be fine, but we can't.

That's just my perspective on 'fairness' for the competition, at least.

1 hour ago, BlueCanary said:

My first attempt for this competition, the F-20 Pirate:

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/41353/undefined

2 engines, 11.6 tonnes starting weight in this variant, 42 parts, carries 4 sidewinder, 2 AIM-120, and a Vulcan. Flies great manually but I'm not convinced it's gonna be friends with the BDArmory autopilot.

Tuning the AI pilot is, for some, a major part of this competition. Most current aircraft here are all built with an extreme degree of maneuverability, so it comes down to tuning the AI pilot to fly at the limit, but also fly stable. Some competitors here sort of get away with just setting steering and damping to max though.

You're free to privately test your plane against the leaderboard and the queue if you'd like, or at least download them for some pointers. 

Also, your link doesn't work. 

I has another idea to maybe make setting up fights a bit easier and fair?...how much easier I have no idea.  BUT have one team start on the grassy side of the runway facing east, the other on the opposite side facing west.  Its all in the same area, plenty of room to take off with no obstacles and when the fight distance is reached they all have to do a 180 degree turn.  Reduced to minimal variables with both teams starting on equal footing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.