Any Train Simulator/model railroading geeks here?

Kerbinchaser

15 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Holy moses man. Where do you live. I need to operate that. 

Houston. We have quite a few nice “operating” layouts down here, though the numbers keep shrinking.... Someday I might have enough real estate to build the layout I want, but every time I turn around it gets incredibly more expensive to own property here. (Four major floods in three years really doesn’t help.)

Here’s another layout I put more than a few hours into helping build and run. Sadly the owner passed a few years back.

20120911_8887_spoor_cbq_rocehlle_califor

20120911_8856_spoor_cbq_flagg_center.jpg

Edited by Cydonian Monk

@Cydonian Monkthat is BEAUtiful. I love the Burlington. :D

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

the entire supermarket had a set of rails suspended from the ceiling, a few meters off the ground. Several different trains would go around, traveling their way across the aisles and occasionally making noises.

Dude, we have that here in the USA. It's called Wegmans! :D I used to love going there too. And also, there was a local fudge place where I used to love which had antique car models in the entryway, and then G scale trains around the top. :) 

also, anyone who takes a look at my profile will see how nerdy I am. XD

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

2 hours ago, DDE said:

I ground my Railway Tycoon 3 CD flat, and haven't found a replacement. So I'm stuck with Cities: Skylines.

Fussy as all heck.

Invisible subways.

Don't talk to me about subways.

There is the MOM overhaul. Real subways...

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Here's one of the latest photos of the layout I work on.

Spoiler

sKgBPaD.jpg

And yes, those headlights do bother me, but changing the LED would be too much work, also it's not nearly as noticeable in real life. Maybe I'll just pain the white one with some yellow marker...

Dude, that is beautiful. :D 

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

What mod is that (the carpark underground station thing)?

One of the numerous version of Canadian Stations I think. The author had some pull-out from TT-Forums but I think in the ends it's on BaNaNaS.

And by "mod", that one's NewGRF.

Edited by YNM

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

And on GOG it was just gathering signatures back when I checked.

Woooot? -75%

Внимание! В этой игре нет русской локализации.

Perfect. You’re hired, Witcher.

Edited by DDE

Hey guys conductors and drivers:

i decided to lay something out anew (on the floor, carpet training so to say) when i realised that i do not have a windows pc any more. I see that there is Linux software for DCC control, like OpenDCC or JMRI.

Is someone here running one of those, or a different one ? Any recommendation, avoidable traps etc. ?

As soon as it runs i'll post a few photos :-)

Edited by Green Baron

We use WinDigipet (Windows PC) for our control. It runs the layout entirely automatically, deciding which train goes where and (usually) making sure nothing bad happens. We have almost exclusively Marklin locos which use MFX protocol, but the software has no problem with DCC and those couple of other brand locomotives. Also, almost all switched (points, turnouts, whatever you call them) are DCC.

I haven't used it, but take a look at Rocrail http://wiki.rocrail.net it's free.

10 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Hey guys conductors and drivers:

i decided to lay something out anew (on the floor, carpet training so to say) when i realised that i do not have a windows pc any more. I see that there is Linux software for DCC control, like OpenDCC or JMRI.

Is someone here running one of those, or a different one ? Any recommendation, avoidable traps etc. ?

As soon as it runs i'll post a few photos :-)

What era and locale are you modeling? :D 

On 1/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, Shpaget said:

Here's one of the latest photos of the layout I work on.

sKgBPaD.jpg

And yes, those headlights do bother me, but changing the LED would be too much work, also it's not nearly as noticeable in real life. Maybe I'll just pain the white one with some yellow marker...

Wait, wait wait. Is that the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg???!! :o 

No. It's in Zagreb, Croatia. It's not nearly as huge as MiWuLa (they are a class of their own), but you'd need to sit in a car and drive for a few hours to get to a bigger one.

We have about 1050 m of track in a roughly 75 m2 of layout, with another 200-ish m2 in preparation, which will bump our place on the list of the largest layouts in Europe quite a bit.

We still have quite a bit of work to do.

http://www.backo.hr/en/

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

What era and locale are you modeling? :D 

Mixed, 3 to 6. But i don't model, i lack the patience. I just lay out tracks.

Plan is to prepare a roll off slope to have something to watch and that makes a certain sound :-)

But first the controller must run ...

A car:

Y5oxQNP.jpg

Not even 5 seconds later. "Sorry bro, you'll have to find a different track ..."

Maybe i better not roll that one off ?

ajvBQYM.jpg

Edited by Green Baron

6 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Mixed, 3 to 6. But i don't model, i lack the patience. I just lay out tracks.

Plan is to prepare a roll off slope to have something to watch and that makes a certain sound :-)

But first the controller must run ...

A car:

Y5oxQNP.jpg

Not even 5 seconds later. "Sorry bro, you'll have to find a different track ..."

Maybe i better not roll that one off ?

ajvBQYM.jpg

Holy cow. That thing is gargantuan. 

Ok, i can control a locomotive's speed and directions and its functions from the (Linux-)PC with JMRI and rocrail. Tomorrow to the track switches and decouplers.

One has to give user access to the usb and uucp group, or the kernal can't lock the files. Alternatively one can run the whole stack as root but that isn't exactly Linux style ...

On 1/27/2018 at 2:53 AM, Shpaget said:

No. It's in Zagreb, Croatia. It's not nearly as huge as MiWuLa (they are a class of their own), but you'd need to sit in a car and drive for a few hours to get to a bigger one.

We have about 1050 m of track in a roughly 75 m2 of layout, with another 200-ish m2 in preparation, which will bump our place on the list of the largest layouts in Europe quite a bit.

We still have quite a bit of work to do.

http://www.backo.hr/en/

She's still beautiful. :D 

On 27/01/2018 at 11:03 PM, adsii1970 said:

I'd like to share this game with the group... it is simply TRAINS. Move freight and folks around from the various regions using just trains...

The game is still under development and it is as addictive as KSP is...

steam - Mashinky

The developer actually checks off TT-Forums ! Not sure why he hasn't updated stuff there, perhaps it's getting enough steam already on it's own now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.