Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - How to create in the Mission Builder

SQUAD

36 minutes ago, airtrafficcontroller said:

There will be an "disable cheat-menu" option?

Maybe. They haven't said anything that I've seen, but it seems like it'd be easy to add. It hardly seems necessary, though. The only person you'd be cheating is yourself. It's not like Missions will mean any more than forum challenges, and those have survived on the honor system just fine.

Also, even if they added it someone could make a mod to bypass it, so again were back to the honor system.

On 3/2/2018 at 5:35 PM, Starslinger999 said:

RIP Forum Challenges... 

BETTER GET THE JOOL 5 DONE FAST

I don't think this'll really affect that all that much. Missions are more specific, it seems, than challenges. Not to mention that a Jool 5 challenge takes quite a bit of planning, and numerous different solutions have been created. I don't know if it's possible, but Jool 5 may become a mission, and even if it's not, some other challenges could just be missions. But, considering not everyone is going to get the DLC, non-mission challenges are likely to stick around for a good while.

You can write up a forum challenge post far faster (its like a first step) than building same in the mission editor, placing and configuring the nodes, etc.  

The first listed MH scenario 'merely' has three distinct stages, a Jool 5 MH scenario will require a lot of set up, and different players approach it differently. (I've read many posts but never done a Jool trip.) Accounting for different ways players might want to run a mission in the editor (bonus objectives?) multiplies the amount of node setup work required.  Does the scenario designer want to ask players to just orbit each moon, or land and return? Different kerbals, or the same one? The list of possibilities goes on and on, and in some ways that's part of the fun of it.

Long live forum challenges, lol.

So I've got an idea for a mission (as I'm sure we all do), and started playing around with the mission builder. My first impression is that (once I figure it all out) it's going to be extremely cool. I can't even imagine yet all the places different players will take it, but I'm definitely excited for it. By far the most potential of the new features. I've been wondering what the modding potential for it is as well.

Anyway, much of it seems like writing a program (the first thing I thought of was that it reminds me of Human Resource Machine). Since (if you don't count HRM) the last program I wrote was in BASIC on a DOS machine when I was a kid, the tutorials are a big help. However, I still haven't heard why the game says there are 3 tutorials when I only see 2. Being that there is a "basic" and "intermediate" tutorial, it stands to reason that there would be an "advanced". At the end of the 2nd tutorial, it even tells you the next one will teach you some of the more advanced techniques. It saves to save your progress and continue to the next one. However, you can't hit save at that point and you can't hit continue either. You can only hit "done" and the tutorials end. I'd really like to learn some of the more advanced techniques (such as the best way to make use of the "always true" and "always false" nodes, along with a few others), so I really hoping this was just an oversight and the 3rd tutorial was left out somehow and will be quickly added via patch like the Mk1-3 IVA.

Also, I'm curious if there were plans to add a "choice" node. A way to force a player to choose a certain path, and once activated, no way to return. I know there are ways to activate this through other nodes, but giving a player a choice to make in a dialog box (option A, B, C, and so on), would really make you feel like you're playing out a story with multiple outcomes RPG-style.

Anyway, though it looks like crafting a mission is going to be time-consuming (of course, what isn't in KSP? :)), it looks like this is gonna be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what patches, updates, and mods will bring in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does this instruction manual posted here have screenshots and node names that do not match the final release?

@SQUAD can you provide any clarity on this?  For example "Spawn Vessel" as currently implemented vs. "Create Vessel" in your tutorial.  I know it's minor, but this is only one thing - and I haven't yet gotten further.  Not a soul destroying issue, but still...

Edited by Wallygator

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, Wallygator said:

Squad can you provide any clarity on this?  For example "Spawn Vessel" as currently implemented vs. "Create Vessel" in your tutorial.  I know it's minor, but this is only one thing - and I haven't yet gotten further.  Not a soul destroying issue, but still...  

Guess not!