Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

16 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Guys... I'm stuck! :(

I've never updated KSP since first purchasing the game when it was 1.2, and now I want to try this 1.4 I don't know how to get it through Steam.

I tried to purchase it but was told I can't as I already have elements of the game on my computer. I tried to verify the files, hoping it would then give me the option to go for 1.4, but nope, it just verified 1.2.

So what do I do to get 1.4?

Thanks everyone.

Did you buy the game through Steam originally?

2 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

@Raycrate,
 Yeah, the empty tank mass is incorrect for the dumpling. It's listed in the config file as .3375, should be .01375.
 While checking into this, I also noticed that the doughnut is way too light. Listed as .01, should be .0375.

I've reported it in the bug tracker.

Best,
-Slashy

Sorted :)

13 minutes ago, sarbian said:

In the same window where you checked the file go to the BETAS tab and make sure it s set on NONE

Just did this and Steam immediately started downloading something to do with KSP on to my computer.  No idea what though, it doesn't seem to have changed the game.  Would any new upgrade replace the game in the Common file in the steamapps folder automatically?  Maybe it stores the new files in some folder I'm unaware off, and needs to be manually inserted into the steamapps folder?  I could uninstall 1.2, then just buy a fresh 1.4, but it seems rather a clunky way of doing it?  Still stuck on this one...

However that was good advice you give me, I didn't know about that BETAS set to NONE.

20 minutes ago, AngryBadger said:

Did you buy the game through Steam originally?

Yes I bought KSP through Steam originally.

1 minute ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

I could uninstall 1.2, then just buy a fresh 1.4

Now that you set the beta to none you should try to check the file again. If it does not work then you should indeed uninstall and re-download (no need to buy it again!! Go to your Steam Game list and press the install Button)

the update is amazing, there are new parts you can change the colour of some parts, kerbals have parachutes, but the one problem which might be a glitch is that the 2.5-meter command pod does not show the kerbal in the command pod, please if this is happening to other players please fix the problem

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Now that you set the beta to none you should try to check the file again. If it does not work then you should indeed uninstall and re-download (no need to buy it again!! Go to your Steam Game list and press the install Button)

OK... took your advice, and after checking the file again and it still refused to upgrade to 1.4, I uninstalled 1.2 and reloaded it from scratch.  So 1.4 is now operating on my computer and initially I'm very impressed, (although I haven't really done anything other than launch a Mk1 on a Flea and then almost kill Jeb trying out the parachute.

Now the only thing I'm missing seems to be the Mission Builder; could I pick your brains one more time and ask how do I get it?  All I've got on the menu screen is a big blank space where "Mission Builder" appears on this screen in Youtube videos.

12 hours ago, ItsM0nke said:

Where did this feature go. In 1.4.0 This option is missing, I use it for almost every launch. Is this a bug or is it really gone?

DL2RLqM.jpg

It's still there, you just have to enable Advanced Tweakables in the game settings. Fairing Staged, Rigid Attachment, Autostrut, Aim camera, are all hidden when Advanced Tweakables is turned off.

3 hours ago, drogonlord1738 said:

the  2.5-meter command pod does not show the kerbal in the command pod, please if this is happening to other players please fix the problem

The missing IVA on the Mk3-1 pod has already been identified and is supposed to be fixed by the 1.4.1 update on Tuesday (March 13).

For the engine shrouds (both the pre-1.4 kind, as well as the new engine-plate kind in the DLC) would it be possible to make them so they can flare into a larger-bottomed conical shape to adapt between stack sizes? Right now the only way I know how to do this is with a smaller decoupler and a larger fairing shell. But it would be great if the game would allow this for the auto-generated shrouds, even if the larger size has to be manually specified in the shrouded part's RMB-menu rather than detecting automatically. (or at least if such a thing is possible to do with a mod, if not done via the stock game)
Example of the current method I use:
Album a/dtc4o will appear when post is submitted
Edited by wookiee_goldberg

Quick suggestion for devs, I know it's gonna be in the expansion but I feel like adding another 'launch pad', a sea launch port at the KSC, might be a good idea. Since multiple are now supported, it would probably save people a lot of time to include in vanilla KSP.

Okay, I could have sworn it used to be possible to nest small objects inside the donut shaped tank. Now I can't get things to go into the middle, just on top of it. I tried putting the tank on around the objects, to similar results - it just sits on top.

2E5763FBFC49B66E7BFC201336CCB6A961C5BE39

Is this a bug? Have I just forgotten the trick to it? Have I simply gone stark raving mad and started imagining things?

Just now, Ace in Space said:

Have I simply gone stark raving mad and started imagining things?

I can reassure you that you aren't going mad. You were indeed able to nest the engine.

But as a workaround, moving the part down should suffice.

1 minute ago, Delay said:

I can reassure you that you aren't going mad. You were indeed able to nest the engine.

But as a workaround, moving the part down should suffice.

Well I sure am glad to hear that.

I hope this change wasn't intentional and will be fixed. What's the point of having a hole in the middle if you can't put stuff in it?

24 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

Well I sure am glad to hear that.

I hope this change wasn't intentional and will be fixed. What's the point of having a hole in the middle if you can't put stuff in it?

based on what Roverdude said I'm taking it as a deliberate change to prevent stock parts from intentionally clipping each other - 

53 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

What's with the little plus icons in the top right corner of each part icon? I don't recall that being there before, and when I click on it, it does something confusing. I don't get it

On the far left of the editor click the + button for "create custom category" and make up a name and pick and icon. After that you can click the small + icons for any part and assign it into that category. If you have a habit of using the same set of parts for a certain kind of vessel then you can just group those parts into that bin. Like if you want to make a bin for "MK2 SSTO parts" and shove all the mandatory parts for such a craft in there.

Purely speculation from here onwards: It wouldn't surprise me if it also has tie-ins to the mission builder (perhaps you can choose a list of parts a mission-player is allowed to use and include that in the mission file? Just a guess but it seems plausible to do) to keep the player from taking the 'easy route' and making an overkill vessel, or, to give bonus points for sticking within the parts category you provided as an optional mission objective but not failing them for choosing otherwise, since there's a scoring element in addition to a success/failure element.

Edited by wookiee_goldberg

Hi all!

I have noticed that with KSP 1.4 DirectX11 is not working fine. Textures are not showing on the editor - but apart from this problem everything seems to work fine.

Do you if there is any reason why textures are not working as expected with DX11? I have been using DX11 with previous versions of KSP without issues.

So after playing with 1.4 some more I feel like I have to revise my opinion a bit. Yes there are a bunch of glitches that should have been caught (Decoupler not playing nice with FL-T400, the cut in half icons, the sound issues, reentry particle effects 1-3 IVA) but if fixed the update will be an improvement over 1.3, and performance seems to be markedly better, or rather take much better advantage of the plentyfull cores. So they should probably have taken a bit longer for some polish but the game moslty works.