You could have invested the time to tip “sorry for bad language“ and put at least a few spaces here and there.

before posting the save file, how about one or two pictures?

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Edited by Human Person

It's so close!! Like, literally 100m/s away. Good job landing on the Mun at night by the way, that's hard. This craft can be rescued with any one of 4 techniques, which I'll be happy to describe.

1. Get out and push (an exploit)
2. Gravity assist
3. Send a rescue team
4. Glitched reentry

Since this is in the challenge section though, I'll be taking it on as a challenge. I'll save Jeb and post the file back up. Let me know if you'd like explanation on any of those techniques so you can do it as well.

And welcome to the forums, @ArdaP!

There we go! Jeb's home safe, and looks like he's had a fun trip. For your future trips to the Mun, your current rocket should work great with one slight change. I'd recommend removing most of the ablator from your heat shield. Just leave 20-50 ablator in it rather than the full 200. The small change of removing this extra unneeded weight should make the rocket an easy success! 

Link:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U9kMmtXDvyAL6AynsRLbcMTkpmros43A

image.jpg    image.jpg

image.jpg

Home Safe!

While I normally default to gravity assisting, a recent change to how SAS works in unmanned ships seems to has made the 'get out and push' method much easier. I'm definitely going to investigate this more.

@Earthlinger  In about 4 days the challenge forums will be swamped with these missions. Brace yourself! :lol:

11 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Uh, what why

The DLC will allow people to create exactly this sort of challenge for eachother, and I suspect the challenges of "Rescue Jeb" and "Get home when you have just barely enough fuel" will be very popular ones, especially in the early days because they seem easy to make.

With no modifications, this challenge is a surprisingly perfect exercise in long range gravity assist planning. It's quite tricky but possible to get Jeb home with just an aggressive gravity turn and 2 gravity assists.

image.jpg

In fact, I might borrow the idea :D

For less inconvenience next time, I suggest you install KER, which will give you a dV readout. In short, dV is an indicator of how much you can change your speed, i.e. a fuel indicator.

With maps such as:

gBoLsSt.png

you can easily predict how much dV you'll need for any ventures in the Kerbol system.

Happy landings!

On 3/11/2018 at 12:43 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

For less inconvenience next time, I suggest you install KER, which will give you a dV readout. In short, dV is an indicator of how much you can change your speed, i.e. a fuel indicator.

With maps such as:

gBoLsSt.png

you can easily predict how much dV you'll need for any ventures in the Kerbol system.

Happy landings!

How...does this work? And also it doesn't account for different trajectories I'm sure

8 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

How...does this work? And also it doesn't account for different trajectories I'm sure

I take it that you're not a fan of the Tube?

The way that this map works is by telling the rough average dV needed to go from Kerbin to any other planet or moon in the solar system.  It's divided into the individual legs of the journey in order to ease computation.  For example, if you want to go to low Kerbin orbit, you need about 3,400 m/s as indicated on the first blue line, but if you want to perform a Mun flyby, you need that 3,400 plus another 860 (the number on the grey line that connects to the blue via the oblong box) to raise your apoapsis to the Mun's sphere of influence.  If you want to fly by Minmus, then you need the 3,400 m/s launch dV, 930 transfer dV (the mint-green line that connects to the blue via the oblong box), and the 340 outside the line indicates a potential extra cost of 340 m/s to match inclinations with Minmus--so that can be significantly reduced by such tricks as launching into Minmus's plane at the outset, certain types of course correction, and so forth.

The map, being what it is, makes a few assumptions and these assumptions may have no bearing on your particular mission, so you may be able to make it work for far less delta-V (or far more, but that's no feat; any bad pilot can do that).  For one thing, the values given are for computed average delta-V requirements on Hohmann transfers only.  You can find cheaper transfers, have more efficient flight profiles, and generally do better than the map would otherwise indicate.  For another, the map assumes that you're flying from Kerbin to other places; it's not so useful for figuring transfers from other places to ... yet other, other places.

Given that most transfers attempt to be minimum-fuel Hohmann transfers, this map is a fairly common reference.  Its dV values are generous, so it provides good margin for error in piloting but without necessitating over-preparedness on the part of the would-be pilot.  However, if you want to perform a bi-elliptic transfer, try a brachistochrone trajectory, run an Orion drive, or do any other fun-but-not-Hohmann manoeuvres, then you might as well throw this map out.

The map provides other data, as well.  It tells the safe orbits of the various bodies (or lists a minimum of 10 km if the highest point is lower than that), gives estimates of transit time between Kerbin and the destination bodies, and tells the kinds of radio technology needed to connect to these places with CommNet.

9 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

The way that this map works is by telling the rough average dV needed to go from Kerbin to any other planet or moon in the solar system.

And it really only kinda works if the transfer in question is one where the upper and lower bounds don't vary much from the average and you get a good transfer window (I.E. near the average).   It's quite often spectacularly wrong in the case of Moho and Dres.

2 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

And it really only kinda works if the transfer in question is one where the upper and lower bounds don't vary much from the average and you get a good transfer window (I.E. near the average).   It's quite often spectacularly wrong in the case of Moho and Dres.

True, but in fairness, it isn't meant to be a precision tool.  It also doesn't take into account little tricks such as the cheapest way to get to Moho having nothing to do with a Hohmann transfer.

There are limits, though:  if you look at the map for Outer Planets Mod, the variability for Plock is so insane that they didn't even try to average it.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:03 PM, Zhetaan said:

True, but in fairness, it isn't meant to be a precision tool.  It also doesn't take into account little tricks such as the cheapest way to get to Moho having nothing to do with a Hohmann transfer.

Ok I'll bite... 

What's the cheapest way to get to Moho?  Asking for a friend :wink:

1 hour ago, XtraChrisP said:

Ok I'll bite... 

What's the cheapest way to get to Moho?  Asking for a friend :wink:

The absolute cheapest involves a lot of gravity assists:  using Eve to meet Moho's orbit is comparatively trivial, but Moho itself is too small to provide a significant amount of assist in one pass.  Of course, you're not limited to a single pass, and the necessity of adjusting your resultant orbit while at the periapsis of your Moho encounter allows you to take full advantage of the Oberth effect, but it takes some time if you want to reduce your fuel expenditure as much as possible.  There are variations on this theme (two Eve assists, for example), but there are a couple of solutions to the multiple-flyby problem that reduce the total required delta-V to below 4,000 m/s when starting from a 75 km circular Kerbin orbit--one goes below 3,400 m/s--using a K-E-M series of flybys/assists, and that's already very reasonable for a Moho mission. In any case, the map doesn't account for gravity assists because they are not proper Hohmann transfers.

The cheapest direct route (for a certain value of direct; I mean to say that you don't encounter anything else on the way, not that the route is not languorous and scenic) to Moho is to pay little attention to Moho itself and instead pay attention to Moho's orbit; launch when Kerbin is at Moho's ascending/descending node and burn for a Hohmann transfer to the opposite node.  Some people match planes on the launch; other's don't.  If you intend to capture in one burn, it's not necessary to match planes, but if you intend to use Moho for an assist, then matching planes prevents unexpected inclination weirdness that can result from entering the sphere of influence at an odd angle--the choice in that is entirely up to you.  Once at the node, burn retrograde until you get a Moho encounter on the next pass.  For this step, it is convenient to reach the node while Moho is positioned such that it reduces the amount you have to burn in open space to get a Moho encounter; that way, you can use Moho (via the Oberth effect again) to either capture or at least set up a phasing orbit for another encounter.  On your final encounter, burn to capture.  Numbers are more difficult for this because, since it does not rely so much on a transfer window (aside from Kerbin's alignment with Moho's nodes, which occurs exactly twice per Kerbin year; and Moho's alignment with Kerbin's nodes, which occurs exactly twice per Moho's year), there can be quite a lot of variation in the final delta-V expense based on your ability to fly and time the mission.  The map doesn't account for this trajectory because it also is not a proper Hohmann transfer; it involves an additional burn (at Moho's node).

I'm not covering everything, but the important part is that there are many correct ways to fly a mission, some fly in the face of otherwise conventional wisdom, and in the end, there are exceptions to every rule.

(... Except forum rule 2.2; don't try to sneak around that one).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.