FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Support Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sokar408 said:

Is InterstellarFuelSwitch necessary? Because it conflicts with Configurable Containers, which is needed for Roverdudes mods, which I'd prefer not doing without.

Also can you "mine" the materials available in this mod?

only ConfigurableContainers core is used in MKS so it won't conflict unless you deliberately install the full CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinker - just updated to .9 - still noticing a few things:

1. Antimatter + plasma nozzles == still generate a ton of waste heat, nigh impossible to cool the system
2. Antimatter + ATILLA (I usually use these w/ compressedAir for VTOL) - same problem as #1.  get only a few seconds of usable power now since the radiators can't keep up with the heat demand.  As in, it's impossible to fit enough cooling on the craft.
3. Antimatter storage - antimatter tanks now hold a ton more antimatter than they used to.  antimatter reactors won't run out of power on long interstellar journeys, I recall you once said that they weren't supposed to be used for long term power generation?
4. FTL + timewarp is still causing explosions and failure when going back to normal timewarp.  sometimes just some parts will randomly fall off, sometimes the whole thing will explode in a fireball.  I'm not using persistent rotation ( I have the mod completely uninstalled ).  This only happens at high timewarp values; 100 or less is usually not enough to cause it, but higher values are.
5. The numbers in the FTL window kind of don't make sense.  I can't figure out how to determine the maximum speed of the craft (either limited by warp/mass or by available power) from these numbers - trial and error are the only ways to determine max/min speed of the craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ss8913 It is not impossible to cool Antimatter beam core, you just need a very significant amount of radaitors. for a 2.5M beam antimatter core at 720 GW, you need about 3200 m2 graphene radiators.

Lwl1lSq.png

dM8FvY7.png

Understand that 33.6 % of all power produced by antimatter beam core consist of gamma rays from which we assume 70% will escape into space, only the remaining 30% you need to get rid off yourself as wasteheat

In realistic design like the frisbee beamcore antimatter interstellar vessel, they require 50 kilometer length of radiators to get rid of the wasteheat

laabG2l.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - but why does it matter so much what kind of *engine* I use?  ATILLA is near impossible.. antimatter + ATILLA = almost instant overheat.  Plasma is almost workable, but has limitations... thermal ramjet/thermal turbojet doesn't really have much of a problem at all.

 

Still, I'm now faced with the VTOL problem; ATILLA is great due to its quick throttle response, but you can't put enough radiators on a spaceplane to make it practical.  Thermal turbojets have too-slow throttles for any of the altitude hold systems to be able to understand how to operate them, at least in open-cycle mode... so at present it's almost like the compressedAir resource is only usable for RCS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

Still, I'm now faced with the VTOL problem; ATILLA is great due to its quick throttle response, but you can't put enough radiators on a spaceplane to make it practical.  Thermal turbojets have too-slow throttles for any of the altitude hold systems to be able to understand how to operate them, at least in open-cycle mode... so at present it's almost like the compressedAir resource is only usable for RCS?

 
 
 
 
 
 
1

mm, the ATTILLA was never mend as a VTOL in atmospheres, its efficiency is too low and nozzle is not optimised for atmospheres, what we need is some efficient electric engine that can run on compressed air with good atmospheric characteristics.

I have som plans of shifting around some parts, to ISRU make to compressed air propulsion more feasible.

Ideally, you use the thermal energy of antimatter directly for propulsion, this prevent a lot of wasteheat from conversions

I will look if I can speed thermal and turbojet response.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

@FreeThinker do you know of any tutorials that show how to use the KSP-IE mod, want to start and learn how, but there is a lot to try to figure out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There a guide the most of the KSPIE engines in my sig. It's not updated to the last version, but still mostly accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

There a guide the most of the KSPIE engines in my sig. It's not updated to the last version, but still mostly accurate.

I've posted quite a few tutorials myself as well; search this topic or the other KSPIE topic for my name (ss8913) and you may find what you need.

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

mm, the ATTILLA was never mend as a VTOL in atmospheres, its efficiency is too low and nozzle is not optimised for atmospheres, what we need is some efficient electric engine that can run on compressed air with good atmospheric characteristics.

I have som plans of shifting around some parts, to ISRU make to compressed air propulsion more feasible.

Ideally, you use the thermal energy of antimatter directly for propulsion, this prevent a lot of wasteheat from conversions

I will look if I can speed thermal and turbojet response.

the response is only an issue in open cycle mode btw - it's fine if I switch them to hydrazine, but obviously we want a way to do this without expending precious fuel when in the atmosphere... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

There a guide the most of the KSPIE engines in my sig. It's not updated to the last version, but still mostly accurate.

Thanks, the more info the better, but I am looking for a 'attach this with this, but never with this or explody things happen' type beginners guide to KSP-IE.

I can generally only access the forum on my phone or at work, so need a text based one really, otherwise I would search youtube for videos, and probably break my pause key. :)

And searching the forums is not that fun, KSP-IE has about 15+ different variations on how it has been input, so it would take too long. So I find it easier to ask, but on the plus side everyone is so helpful anyway.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Thanks, the more info the better, but I am looking for a 'attach this with this, but never with this or explody things happen' type beginners guide to KSP-IE.

I can generally only access the forum on my phone or at work, so need a text based one really, otherwise I would search youtube for videos, and probably break my pause key. :)

And searching the forums is not that fun, KSP-IE has about 15+ different variations on how it has been input, so it would take too long. So I find it easier to ask, but on the plus side everyone is so helpful anyway.:D

check for my last post on the subject, it's still relevant to the current version of the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried this setup for a Compressedair infinite atmospheric high TWR Engine/VTOL and it worked fine:

 

all 2,5mt stack:

shock cone intake ==> SIX ISRU Refrigerator (all on compressedair with compressedair tank) ==> Thermal generator ==> MTF Reactor ==> Thermal launch nozzle on compressedair ....... add radiators for just 4 GW dissipation (like 4 radial small dissipates, or tail fins) .... complete stack TWR: about 6 with throttle fast response. No need for Compressedair tanks because six isru refrigerator load their internal compressedair storage as fast as the nozzle use it.

Maybe we should have a much more capable ISRU Refrigerator expecially desined for compressedair, like ISRU High efficiency air compressor with internal intercoolers and bigger airtank, to be utilized only for compressedair.

Edited by Ciro1983811

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ss8913 said:

the response is only an issue in open cycle mode btw - it's fine if I switch them to hydrazine, but obviously we want a way to do this without expending precious fuel when in the atmosphere... :)

1
 

Regarding the overheating issue, I think I can reduce the amount of wasteheat generated because not all efficiency is turned into wasteheat

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the thermoelectric and charged particle generators now limited in power output? I want to use a 3.75m antimatter reactor but any of the generators (including the long one) can't keep up  (not by a long shot). Is the intention to make us use multiple sets of smaller antimatter reactors/generators? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would I go about calculating the fuel usage (in in-game units) for a reactor running at x% for y amount of days? I plan on using Li6-He3 in the CBF Reactor (4.48 GW @ 3.75m according to the thermal panel)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am completely stumped by the ISRU system. I have been trying to obtain alumina from the mun and convert it to aluminium and liquid oxygen to fuel an aluminum hybrid rocket but I can't figure out how to mine it. I have tested it more in sandbox with similar configurations (added on-board power, drills, positioned parts differently, etc.) but to no avail.

pics:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uploaded Version 1.13.10 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-26

  • Update CRP to 0.7.0
  • Added Kerbstein Drive engine (by Drunken Monkey Style), an endgame aneutronic fusion torch engine with high isp combined with high thrust that runs on LithiumDeuteride
  • Added ability to configure Antimatter storage tanks maximum temperature and geeForce tolerance, allowing them to reduce mass o a minimum
  • Added stacked antimatter storage tank have reduced mass
  • Added radiators now shift color when heating up, from red, to orange, to yellow
  • Balanced reduced mass scaling truss radiators, allowing them to be effective in cooling large vessels
Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to try the new drive.. sadly I updated to 1.3.0 and.. KSP won't even start.  Soon, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

I want to try the new drive.. sadly I updated to 1.3.0 and.. KSP won't even start.  Soon, though!

If you are a steam user, you can switch back selecting the 1.2.2 beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is lit - more than 1 G of thrust and 3000 km/s of DV!

 

Its able to reach pluto in 2 weeks!

I guess this is perfect engine for manned solarsystem flight!

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Wow this is lit - more than 1 G of thrust and 3000 km/s of DV!

 

Its able to reach pluto in 2 weeks!

I guess this is perfect engine for manned solarsystem flight!

Notice that it can work in conjuncture with tri alpha alpha which provides enough power to run it. This way you can use a single fuel lithiumdeuteride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice that it can work in conjuncture with tri alpha alpha which provides enough power to run it. This way you can use a single fuel lithiumdeuteride

Well There is no such mode for tri-alpha....

Deuter - Lithium6 is marked as Neutron producing mode in reactor fuel config - 1000th line and lower.

and TriApha accepts only Aneutronic modes.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Uploaded Version 1.13.10 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-26

  • Update CRP to 0.7.0
  • Added Kerbstein Drive engine (by Drunken Monkey Style), an endgame aneutronic fusion torch engine with high is combined with high thrust that runs on LithiumDeuteride
  • Added ability to configure Antimatter storage tanks maximum temperature and geeForce tolerance, allowing them to reduce mass o a minimum
  • Added stacked antimatter storage tank have reduced mass
  • Added radiators now shift color when heating up, from red, to orange, to yellow
  • Balanced reduced mass scaling truss radiators, allowing them to be effective in cooling large vessels

Is Kerbstein == Epstein? If yes then this comes at the right time as I'm abusing VISTA to make Rocinante in KSP and fails... Now can you please add a RCS that can use water as propellant? Both arcject and resistojet RCS cannot use water as propellant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aghanim said:

Is Kerbstein == Epstein? 

Yes it is based on the epstein drive of the Rocinate, You can thank @Drunken Monkey Style for this addition

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone ask, I will update to KSP 1.3 as soon as  @pellinor updates tweakscale to KSP 1.3

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ShadyAct said:

How would I go about calculating the fuel usage (in in-game units) for a reactor running at x% for y amount of days? I plan on using Li6-He3 in the CBF Reactor (4.48 GW @ 3.75m according to the thermal panel)

I use Alternate Resource Panel, which lets you switch the resources display to "time remaining" instead of "units" (very useful for mining operations), but in any case, I don't remember if the reactor control window doesn't already provide that information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.