Mission Builder not working with Career Mode?!?

Hello everyone.

I came back from rocketry retirement for the first KSP DLC.

I like the new parts and especially the parachutes for my Kerbals.

But the real bummer is for me the Mission Builder.

SQUAD why the hell is it not working with the Career Mode? What game designer thought it was a good idea to make a mission builder and let the crappy missions in career mode remain?

It is a missed opportunity to overhaul the core game and a disappointment for me as a veteran KSP Kerbonaut.

Please integrate the mission builder for campaign mode. Even a version with less options would be working.

P.S.: AND GIVE US A STOCK KERBAL ENGINEER FOR D/V READOUTS!!!

P.S.II: Pretty please.

Love you guys

blspblackdeath

A mission loads its own savegame with pre-configured initial conditions. You cannot have missions integrated into your career savegame because as soon as you start a mission, you are no longer in your career savegame.

It's not a question of "missed opportunities" or bad game design. It's literally not possible with the way KSP is built. Changing this would not have required an expansion - it would have required building KSP 2.0 from scratch and discontinuing the current game.

You can make it work if the Builder would integrate a career initial condition as preset. And several mods like the Contract Configurator are working to build your own missions.

It is bad game design to build the mission builder on the premise that it needs to create its own savegame.

This may also have been done intentionally, to prevent people from messing up their own career saves with badly designed missions and blaming Squad for it afterwards.

Anyway, I'm alright with the current career mode. Crappy or not, the contracts I choose to accept (as my agency's director) provide the funds to put the crafts I come up with (as my agency's designer) in orbit and send them where I want them to (again as the director). And since I'm the one behind Jeb's or any other Kerbonaut's actions, I'm the astronaut/pilot too, managing 'menial' tasks, like performing burns, rendezvous, docking ops, resource extraction/transfers, etc. As of late, I've also become my agency's PR manager :P

As for the mission builder itself, I suppose it's good for challenges, issued by players to players, by Squad to players, or by players to themselves. It definitely has a place, even though I don't plan to meddle with it in the near future.

Edited by Atkara

I am really disappointed too. I hoped for new missions in career. Or historical story mode.

Making history is wrong name for this Dlc. This had to be split in two smaller Dlc's - historical parts pack and mission builder

Edited by marcello639
Continued

16 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

The entirety of career mode is a missed opportunity. 

I have the same feeling. I have bought the DLC but I have yet to use the mission builder because I have not felt compelled to. To be honest, I would have been much happier if there was instead a simpler mission builder, but integrated into the career mode. I can give an example of how it might work. You could have an extra tab in the Mission Control Building where you could create new missions that are relevant to your current save, e.g. saving one of your stranded pilots, or help to map a moon. There could be boundaries on what you could create and what rewards to give out. The mission can then be uploaded to a server from where other players can search through for missions they want to take. There would be another tab in the Missions Control Building for viewing available missions. Something simple like this would give a kind of "pseudo-multiplayer" feel to the game if you see what I mean. I would be as happy as chips if this was what we got instead of the current mission builder tool.

Edited by Gorman

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

A mission loads its own savegame with pre-configured initial conditions. You cannot have missions integrated into your career savegame because as soon as you start a mission, you are no longer in your career savegame.

It's not a question of "missed opportunities" or bad game design. It's literally not possible with the way KSP is built. Changing this would not have required an expansion - it would have required building KSP 2.0 from scratch and discontinuing the current game.

I don't see the sense to argue that way. I can believe that the current missions cannot be fit into campaign because of their inherent design as their own savestates, but then that is bad design in the first place. It should have never been done that way.

You can't tell me that you couldn't program the functionalities and underlying logic of the mission editor into career. Heck, superficially the whole thing acts like an extended contract system.

7 hours ago, Atkara said:

This may also have been done intentionally, to prevent people from messing up their own career saves with badly designed missions and blaming Squad for it afterwards.

If a contract can mess up a save, then it's probably because the system was broken in the first place. There should be no permanent effect to contracts.

And otherwise, we might as well disable all modding so people can't break their career save.

Edited by Temeter

I was looking forward to the Making History DLC and the prospect of adding missions to my career mode game.  Clearly this is not possible.  I would have purchased the DLC either way just to keep development of the game going, but to me the mission builder is useless as I only play in career mode.  It would have been nice to know in advance that this would be a separate aspect of the game outside of career mode.  As it was I like many other was here eagerly awaiting and watching the live feed with Scott Manley waiting for the DLC to drop only to find the store was broke 10 seconds after launch (presumably from the overload).  If I knew this would not be of any benefit to me except extra parts I would have not bothered bogging down the server and waited a day or so to buy the thing.

I am still playing on my with a heavily modded 1.3.1 game.  The mod makers who do such great work are still trying to catch up to 1.4.1.  Until they do I will wait patiently and proceed on my current game.  My hopes for an easier way to do thing other than Contract Configurator.  Don't get me wrong I love what Nightingale has done.  I use that mod in preference to the stock unpredictable contract system.  I guess I was hoping the Mission Builder would offer me a different and more relevant mission selection.

I frequently read the latest news posted on the site, read the forums some, and have not once posted on the forums until today.  I actually signed up today just to post in the hopes that SQUAD can understands its customer base.  I do not have a desire to do multiplayer and prefer to play at my pace my way.  I do not feel the desire to share a mission I built just to see if others can complete it.  I am sure there is a market for that but I am not in the demographic.  If this is the bulk of your customer base you should build for them and I will just take what I can get from Mod makers or the like.  But I am the solo player that likes the complications the TAC-LS, RemoteTech, and enable the g forces, etc to make it more difficult.  If you would be so kind as to disclose next time that its basically a stand alone thing not a career mode DLC next time you release one please.

On 16/03/2018 at 12:39 PM, blspblackdeath said:

I can't launch from the new launchpad. That is another failure, which will surely be corrected by modders.

Sure you can. You just need to turn the option on in your difficulty settings.

Edited by severedsolo

I also thought or hoped it would integrate with the career mode in some way.

I have wanted a Story Mode ever since I got tired of my first career game. There was just no reason to go to Eeloo, Dres, Jool etc. I have planned huge Jool missions more times than I have executed them (I seem to get tired of the career game around Jool).

I hoped the mission builder would make it possible to create stories (linked contracts) that gave you a reason to visit planets or do crazy things. Like, "Go to the Mun and search for water. Oh, there's nothing, try Ike".  Or, "Is there life on the bottom of Eves ocean? No but there's a a strange Monolith pointing to Eeloo. Let's go there."

I have mixed feelings about the expansion the way it is. The missions that came with it really aren't much but with all the creative people around here it might turn into something great. I also want to support any and all further development of the game.

i am very disappointment with this expansion, it looks like it`s cover up on forcing new eula. Few new parts and mission builder that is nice looking variation of contract configurator. I was hoping for the integration with career mode, and community making different campaigns.

I turned the game off after i could not go back to edit my rocket after failing second part of first mission and had to start over from begining. 

Is there any way to make a mod that would integrate mission builder to career mode?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.