The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

SGTPhuF.png

A probably finished Millenia, it's way scarier than i thought, and @JacobJHC, how heavy is you Monstrous "MR STARK I DONT WANT TO GO", ??? is placing a rocket that big save for the Launchpad ??? and maybe how to Jool transfer with Eve Kerbin Kerbin assist in the fastest way ???

Edited by GRS

7 hours ago, GRS said:

A probably finished Millenia, it's way scarier than i thought, and @JacobJHC, how heavy is you Monstrous "MR STARK I DONT WANT TO GO", ??? is placing a rocket that big save for the Launchpad ??? and maybe how to Jool transfer with Eve Kerbin Kerbin assist in the fastest way ???

I don't remember how heavy it was and my computer might freeze if I check so sorry, but I had to turn on indestructible facilities for it since the launchpad kept breaking under its weight. Yours should be fine though. My suggestion is to put launch clamps underneath the rocket so that it isn't directly on the pad. For Kerbin-Eve-Jool transfers, I'm complete garbage at them so you best ask someone with more experience. 

Also answering @Ziv's question, Huge expedition (maybe Fathership style, or Separating Into 2 or 3 Landers), and also, where are the low mass & low parts & low cost entries, i heard someone did low parts (42 of them).

Edited by GRS

Welp, my pc got quite some problem, The Millenia is a little too retarded that it cant flip properly, looks like i need to get 1.6 for it, and somehow, i found an idea to perform a casual Jool 5 mission, basically separating a Mothership for the two biggies (Tylo n' Laythe), and a self independent Vall-Bop-Pol lander (that better get back to Mothership).

ecC9dAJ.png

Independent Vall-Bop-Pol lander (didn't land on Pol because i don't want to).

Fb8uIwd.png

After getting its job done.

(I called it Independent because it needs no docking)

Edited by GRS

I'm back for another swing because this is basically my favorite thing to do with KSP!

I know command seats are ok for within-Jool landers/tugs; can kerbals be in seats in a 1.25m service bay as long as they're centered as well as possible in there? I ask because at some angles their helmets or feet clip into the service bay, but the slimmer costume fits pretty well if the seats are lined up just right. My new smaller Laythe plane is based around that and hoping to keep the plan. I can attach a screenshot if clarification is needed.

http://imgur.com/IUuV7WK

Edited by PhoenixRise86
Clarification.

9 minutes ago, PhoenixRise86 said:

I'm back for another swing because this is basically my favorite thing to do with KSP!

I know command seats are ok for within-Jool landers/tugs; can kerbals be in seats in a 1.25m service bay as long as they're centered as well as possible in there? I ask because at some angles their helmets or feet clip into the service bay, but the slimmer costume fits pretty well if the seats are lined up just right. My new smaller Laythe plane is based around that and hoping to keep the plan. I can attach a screenshot if clarification is needed.

Maybe you can try make the Kerbal pointing upside by flipping vertical angle to 90 degrees, and keep the seat in the center, hopefuly there will be no clippings on the Kerbal.

10 hours ago, GRS said:

Maybe try offsetting it, try finding a spot with least clipping, and halp pls, i need a small Laythe Lander.

The one in my post is just over 5 tons (including the <1 ton ion tug/small moon lander), uses a panther jet 1st stage, terrier 2nd stage, and the ion tug/small moon lander in the nose fairing is the 3rd stage. It also has 2 spider engines on the side for tiny reentry adjustments.

17 hours ago, PhoenixRise86 said:

http://imgur.com/IUuV7WK

Yeah that works fine. Lander looks cool

After 2 prototype missions, the high tech Jool 5-3.0 is underway at a slim ~720 tons at takeoff single launch.

The Laythe plane worked! ...after some janky launch profile maneuvering. And it turns out Tylo is easy if you have 2k dV left in the 3rd stage to help with descent. I should get the last parts finished and post an album tonight.

Xn8516f.jpg

hOm74aq.jpg

Edited by PhoenixRise86
Link error

Just finished a hybrid lander.

41JZXUp.png

That Laythe Lander is basically The Tylo Lander with some Asparagus Boosters, tested with test altitude below 800 m.

qpIuprL.png

Stable orbit reached, you will find a docking port behind that Detachable Parachute, Looking Cool isn't it, and for a Weirdo in exposed chair, test pilot Rayrigh Kerman looks oddly happy, the lander will also fix Vall, maybe Bop too, definitely not Pol, also planning for a Dres landing after finishing.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:09 AM, GRS said:

Looking Cool isn't it, and for a Weirdo in exposed chair, test pilot Rayrigh Kerman looks oddly happy, the lander will also fix Vall, maybe Bop too, definitely not Pol, also planning for a Dres landing after finishing.

After Laythe, my dudes are literally riding chairs alongside the RTG's powering their ion engine for the rest if their mission. The vacuum and cosmic rays are not enough, they needed radioactive seats :0.0:.

Edit: The Jool5 is complete, but I had 6k dV left in the Command module tanks, so I'm gonna delay to stop by Ike, the Mun, and Minmus for some bonus landings before going home.

Update: Finished Ike but it massacred my fuel supply. Think I can still get Minmus...

Finally done! Working on the imgur album - have to load pics one at a time to prevent scrambling the order.

Edited by PhoenixRise86

pyQUh7b.pngThe new High Tech Jool 5 +, including about every trick I could think of to maximize dV and minimize mass!

This vehicle uses dedicated Laythe, Vall, and Tylo landers, and a common ion tug/upper stage for all landings (which does the smaller moons by itself). All electric power comes from 3 RTGs on the tug. 2 Kerbals were landed on each of 7 moons through the course of the mission.

Stats:

~Normal settings

~version 1.5/1.6 (updated to fix the fuel tank venting glitch)

~mass: 711.213t

~ Parts: 184

~Cost: 560,229

~Crew: 5

~ Single launch, no ISRO, no refueling, no rescue. 

~Stock + Hanger Extender, Kerbal Engineer Redux, BetterBurnTime, Making History, EVE (not working).

tQTA0qr.png

lzbIPzs.png

jLB1Zs9.png

HKuztrs.png

EKpUyNr.png

aiGb4aF.png

MxJEW8a.png

Full Gallery - https://imgur.com/a/4a6PL79

Edited by PhoenixRise86

On 6/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, JacobJHC said:

Completely understand, the same thing happened to me.

Hi!!!  MONTHS LATER!!!!  Still working loads and schooling and getting generally sidetracked :)

Anyhoo, I got the YouTube channel thing organized.. or so I thought... but instead deleted my videos instead of transferring them to the new account (I have future "SoonTM" plans for the one channel..)  so back to the drawing board.

BUT, that means I can do a re-shoot (still in 1.3.x) but probably in HD this time.  yay?  YAY!!!

Stay tuned....  

Low orbit around Tylo now, Laythe Landing altitude was higher than test altitude, the only thing i could feat here is just a no shock absorber no ISRU lander for all moons except Pol, and hopefuly Dres, maybe Mun if i still got Delta V, Tylo lander roughly below 2.16 tons, that will be reused on Vall, Mother-Sheep landing on Bop (Sheep !!! Is the craft name), and @JacobJHC did you stay on "Bop null inclination" when you find The Kraken, i want to STAB that thing.

Edited by GRS

Nearly done, spoiler for Vall landing.

LH7FwKa.png

Ended up landing the whole Mother-sheep, just Pol to go and i'll do an extra Dres landing.

tAkN0Pi.png

Cool groofie on Vall.

UZw3NFW.png

Extra Dres landing because i love Dres.

Edited by GRS

On 1/8/2019 at 1:28 AM, PhoenixRise86 said:

Full Gallery - https://imgur.com/a/4a6PL79

Spoiler

My entry to this challenge.

On 1.6.0 with nothing much but KER and Trajectories.

https://imgur.com/a/Dh0q17Q

Enjoy !

@Challyss @PhoenixRise86 I'm overbooked today, but tomorrow I will look over your submissions. Just from glances, they both look great.

Album here.

Mass : 3000 tons estimated.

parts : roughly 300.

version 1.5

additional Dres landing.

Mods : KER, Nereid FF, Trajectories (used DLC).

single launch, no ISRU.

Crew : Simone Kerman, Jebediah Kerman, Valentina Kerman.

Settings : normal difficulty.

NO shock absorbers.

jeEdlap.png

6ZbwrVM.png

XrtWGYa.png

1KtEN9g.png

yLRgebO.png

FZwunE8.png

vVAH2wC.png

This ship has many errors, but kinda glad i choose a genius to lead the Mission.

Edited by GRS