[1.12.x] Aviation Lights v4.1.3 (29 January 2023) - available for adoption

MOARdV

I have always liked this mod....and it keeps getting better.  The light setup process is very nice now and the symmetry option makes adding red/green nav-lights so much easier.  And I really like that now you only need the one customizable light to do everything.
Thanks @BigNose for creating this and @MOARdV for continuing the work!! 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

@MOARdVSome reason CKAN shows it as mod version 4.0.5 and KSP version 1.5.0. It however doesn't show under when I have 1.5 checked, only 1.4 in CKAN.

I've got nothing to do with the CKAN posting.  Maybe I confused the metadata when I listed this as 4.0.5.1 (or some other techno-babble explanation?)?

@MOARdVWhen I place a light, the one that gives me skin options (I assume the others are the same), if I place say 4 on my ship with symmetry mode. If I click one and turn it on in the VAB, all 4 come on. Now if I do that in flight, only the one comes on. I tried different settings and options, I played around and still nothing. If this is not a thing, it should be or at least I thought it use to be. I know all the other lights, stock, will do the same, I think.

Edited by therealcrow999

7 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

If this is not a thing, it should be or at least I thought it use to be.

Parts placed in symmetry don't toggle in symmetry once you're in flight.  The same thing happens with solar panels, for instance, if you use the right-click menu to open them.  You'll need to group them in an action group to switch them all at once.

4 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Parts placed in symmetry don't toggle in symmetry once you're in flight.  The same thing happens with solar panels, for instance, if you use the right-click menu to open them.  You'll need to group them in an action group to switch them all at once.

I guess something to be added into All Y'All mod. I will ask over there for added support. Thanks!

Edited by therealcrow999

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to have the part produce some ambient light around where the light is placed? It looks a bit odd for the light to come on but not have the part(s) around the light illuminate.

This is how my lights appear:

Spoiler

vSrip8w.png

As opposed to lights from another mod:

Spoiler

SIN1m2S.png

Edited by Rayder

3 hours ago, Rayder said:

Is it possible to have the part produce some ambient light around where the light is placed?

Under the Advanced Tweakables, there is an option to switch between spot light and omni-directional light.  I added that option because I thought that it looks weird for one of those lights to illuminate parts behind it (since KSP spacecraft don't understand the concept of self-shadowing).

• 1 month later...

Aviation Lights 4.0.6 is now available for KSP 1.4.0 and later.

This version adds es-es localization (thanks to fitiales), and it scales EC requirements based on the light intensity (those super-bright lights require more energy than a dim nav light).

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 4:42 AM, MOARdV said:

Under the Advanced Tweakables, there is an option to switch between spot light and omni-directional light.  I added that option because I thought that it looks weird for one of those lights to illuminate parts behind it (since KSP spacecraft don't understand the concept of self-shadowing).

You're not kidding. a single omni light was lighting up the inside of a cockpit while in IVA mode. It also seemed like the spot-toggle was doing it too, even when not pointed toward the cockpit -- I'll have to confirm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Beetlecat said:

You're not kidding. a single omni light was lighting up the inside of a cockpit while in IVA mode. It also seemed like the spot-toggle was doing it too, even when not pointed toward the cockpit -- I'll have to confirm.

In retrospect, it's possible that there's a "casts shadow" flag that these lights aren't setting.  I probably should have checked that before I did this:

Aviation Lights 4.0.7 is now available for KSP 1.4.0 and later.

This version adds fr-fr localization (thanks to don-vip), and it (finally) updates the version file to match the DLL version.

• 1 month later...

Hi @MOARdV,

First, thank you for this mod. It adds a lot to my experience in terms of immersiveness.

Second, with the single tweakable light the engine beacon function of Crew Lights doesn't function. It works normally with the old ones, but if you don't know where to look for them, you would presumably use the new light, set it to be a beacon, and then wonder why it's not turning on.

(Tested on Stock install with Crew Lights, Aviation lights, and dependencies and cross-posted to Crew Lights thread.)

Regardless whether you are interested (and able!), I appreciate the work you've done to make everyone's KSP experience better.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

@MOARdV, I was looking at maybe adding the AviationLights functionality to other lights (like the stock KSP lights or another mod), but I'm still learning how to use MM to mod parts, and I'm not having much success. It's only for personal use at this point, but I was wondering if you had any pointers on how I might replace one light's function with the AviationLights function? I can share with you what I've already tried, if you like.

18 hours ago, AmpCat said:

@MOARdV, I was looking at maybe adding the AviationLights functionality to other lights (like the stock KSP lights or another mod), but I'm still learning how to use MM to mod parts, and I'm not having much success. It's only for personal use at this point, but I was wondering if you had any pointers on how I might replace one light's function with the AviationLights function? I can share with you what I've already tried, if you like.

To install it on a stock light, you're going to need to use a MM patch to remove the existing light module from the light, and to add ModuleNavLight to it.  It is going to take some effort to configure it correctly, since AviationLights adds lights to the root gameObject on the part.  You'll need to use LightOffset and LightRotation to position the AL where the stock light was, and probably need SpotAngle to change it from an omni light to a directional light.  There are some other mods already out there that give you control over existing lights similar to what AL does - one of those might be a better choice when working with an existing light.

11 hours ago, MOARdV said:

To install it on a stock light, you're going to need to use a MM patch to remove the existing light module from the light, and to add ModuleNavLight to it.  It is going to take some effort to configure it correctly, since AviationLights adds lights to the root gameObject on the part.  You'll need to use LightOffset and LightRotation to position the AL where the stock light was, and probably need SpotAngle to change it from an omni light to a directional light.  There are some other mods already out there that give you control over existing lights similar to what AL does - one of those might be a better choice when working with an existing light.

Yeah, I figured I'd need to fiddle with offset and rotation, but right now I can't even get the right click interface to come up. In fact, the standard right click interface is also gone now.

I've been looking around for other light mods, but not found very many lately. Do you have some examples? I could also send you the code I tried out, see what you think. I was trying to add it to the SurfaceLights mod.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, AmpCat said:

I've been looking around for other light mods, but not found very many lately. Do you have some examples? I could also send you the code I tried out, see what you think. I was trying to add it to the SurfaceLights mod.

The Surface Mounted Lights mod is the mod I was thinking of.  I believe it uses its own module, which would also need to be removed from the stock lights.  If you want to bundle the MM patch you're using and the KSP.log and put it on a site, I can take a look and see what's going on.

13 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The Surface Mounted Lights mod is the mod I was thinking of.  I believe it uses its own module, which would also need to be removed from the stock lights.  If you want to bundle the MM patch you're using and the KSP.log and put it on a site, I can take a look and see what's going on.

Awesome. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting the following errors in the startup log:

[LOG 15:53:43.305] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/aviation_light/light_aviation'
[ERR 15:53:43.325] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:43.350] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/aviation_light/light_aviation' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:43.353] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'light.aviation'
[LOG 15:53:43.743] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightbeacon_amber/lightbeacon_amber'
[ERR 15:53:43.760] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:43.777] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightbeacon_amber/lightbeacon_amber' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:43.778] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightbeacon.amber'
[LOG 15:53:43.818] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightbeacon_red/lightbeacon_red'
[ERR 15:53:43.835] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:43.852] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightbeacon_red/lightbeacon_red' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:43.854] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightbeacon.red'
[LOG 15:53:43.888] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_blue/lightnav_blue'
[ERR 15:53:43.905] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:43.922] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_blue/lightnav_blue' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:43.923] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightnav.blue'
[LOG 15:53:43.957] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_green/lightnav_green'
[ERR 15:53:43.975] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:43.991] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_green/lightnav_green' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:43.993] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightnav.green'
[LOG 15:53:44.028] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_red/lightnav_red'
[ERR 15:53:44.046] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:44.062] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_red/lightnav_red' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:44.063] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightnav.red'
[LOG 15:53:44.099] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_white/lightnav_white'
[ERR 15:53:44.116] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:44.132] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightnav_white/lightnav_white' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:44.134] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightnav.white'
[LOG 15:53:44.168] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightstrobe_white/lightstrobe_white'
[ERR 15:53:44.186] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleNavLight'

[LOG 15:53:44.202] PartLoader: Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lights/lightstrobe_white/lightstrobe_white' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 15:53:44.204] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'lightstrobe.white'

Ending up with weird behavior in the SPH and flight as a result. Version 1.7.3 with all mods fully updated. Full Log file.

I really hope this is an easy fix as Aviation Lights is one of my "must have" mods and has been since it came out! It's mandatory for me if I'm building and flying a plane! (my father's influence, no doubt... he's a private pilot and drilled me as his right-seater ever since I was a little girl... and some lessons never go away, like pre-flight checks to include nav lights &) )

6 hours ago, RobertaME said:

Getting the following errors in the startup log:

The error suggests that the DLL was not installed (installation error or hiccup).  ModuleNavLight is the functional component of the Aviation Lights mod.  I'd suggest verifying the GameData/AviationLights/Plugins folder is present - that's where AviationLights.dll should be.

Well, obviously something went sideways in internet-land. That folder only contained the version file and a CFG file. I checked the ZIP file I downloaded last week and there isn't a DLL in there either. Something must have hiccuped in the download because I went back to the Github and re-downloaded the exact same file and there it was! All the other files were present in my first ZIP file... it was just THAT one that was missing from the old ZIP file. (and not knowing it was supposed to BE there, I had no way of knowing it was missing!)

I'll try and get a few minutes to test it out, (busy ATM) but I'm willing to bet this does the trick! THANKS SO MUCH!!!  :wub:

Edit: That did the trick! I have my NavLights again! THANK YOU!!! ::happy dance::

Edited by RobertaME
Resolved